Notices

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
Hello. I've tried to install this replacement clock today, but something hasn't gone quite right. After unzipping the .zip file I had a 'worlclock' folder in MyDocs. I moved this to /usr/bin, and then moved the worldclock program from its folder into /usr/bin proper. This leaves me with worldclock.launch, worldclock.orig, and worldclock all in /usr/bin.

When I give the ls -l /usr/bin/worldclock command it returns "worldclock". However, when I click on 'clock' in apps, it processes for a short while and returns me to the homescreen I'm on, without ever bringing up a clock. There are no more clock or worldclock icons in my app drawer. I performed all the other commands described in the OP. Can anyone kindly help me out? TY. Jeff
Show me the output of:
Code:
ls -l /usr/bin/worldclock
If it has no x bits you still have to do "chmod +x /usr/bin/worldclock"

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ South Dakota
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Show me the output of:
Code:
ls -l /usr/bin/worldclock
worldclock

[Qoute]If it has no x bits you still have to do "chmod +x /usr/bin/worldclock"[/QUOTE]

I have repeated this command with root, but my clock icon is still nonfunctional. Jeff

Last edited by wicozani; 2012-03-16 at 21:20.

worldclock
This can't be the output of the "ls -l" ...are you using the number one instead of the letter "l"?

It should look something like
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       454420 Feb 29 00:21 /usr/bin/worldclock
Please execute again and copy and paste the exact output.

This can't be the output of the "ls -l" ...are you using the number one instead of the letter "l"?

It should look something like
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       454420 Feb 29 00:21 /usr/bin/worldclock
Please execute again and copy and paste the exact output.
Code:
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       454420 Feb 28 16:19 worldclock

Code:
Like I said, execute:
Code:
root
chmod +x /usr/bin/worldclock
and it will work.

Like I said, execute:
Code:
root
chmod +x /usr/bin/worldclock
and it will work.
I've executed this command for the third time under root, rebooted my phone, and still nothing. Response to the ls command remains the same. I have CSSU-T with KP46, and overclocked with the dsp profile, if that's of any help.

I've executed this command for the third time under root, rebooted my phone, and still nothing. Response to the ls command remains the same.
I will eat my shoes if this does not work

The chmod +x must put execute permissions on the file, or else you will encounter error messages.

I will have to ask again, please execute exactly as written. You are not executing this on the file in MyDocs I hope, because that will never work (not supported in FAT32). Do the chmod to the file in /usr/bin/. This simply has to work. If you do not encounter error messages and it is still not executable, your devices is seriously corrupted. But I am still betting on some misunderstanding.

I've executed this command for the third time under root, rebooted my phone, and still nothing. Response to the ls command remains the same. I have CSSU-T with KP46, and overclocked with the dsp profile, if that's of any help.
Is it possible that it's executing the chmod command against the folder called 'worldclock' in /usr/bin/ rather than the program itself?

I will eat my shoes if this does not work

The chmod +x must put execute permissions on the file, or else you will encounter error messages.

I will have to ask again, please execute exactly as written. You are not executing this on the file in MyDocs I hope, because that will never work (not supported in FAT32). Do the chmod to the file in /usr/bin/. This simply has to work. If you do not encounter error messages and it is still not executable, your devices is seriously corrupted. But I am still betting on some misunderstanding.
I've received no errors at all, and I'm sure I wasn't performing the command on the folder in MyDocs.

I just did the following:
Code:
 sudo gainroot
/home/user # cd /usr/bin/
/usr/bin # chmod +x worldclock
And it executed without error, returning me to my /usr/bin prompt. The clock icon in my apps drawer still does nothing after showing the processing icon for a short while. Everything else on my phone seems to operate normally. FYI, I don't have either speed or battery patch installed. I haven't the faintest clue. Thanks for being so responsive and trying to assist! Not a problem, just a mystery. Jeff

Last edited by wicozani; 2012-03-16 at 22:26.

Is it possible that it's executing the chmod command against the folder called 'worldclock' in /usr/bin/ rather than the program itself?
How can there be a folder named worldclock in /usr/bin/ ?

Your output of ls -l /usr/bin/worldclock was
Code:
so there cannot be folder with the same name (duplicate names are allowed, no matter if it is a folder or file). And a folder with that name should not be there.

I have the feeling you did not follow the exact steps, because we are in some strange situation now, which I cannot judge from here.

Let go for the final attempt, and else it might be better to return to the old clock.

First remove the current folder or binary:
Code:
sudo gainroot
rm -rf /usr/bin/worldclock
Download
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42147901/worldclock.zip

-Unzip the downloaded file (containing worldclock) and place it on your phone in (for example) /home/user/MyDocs/
-Then in x-terminal:
Code:
sudo gainroot
cd /usr/bin/
mv /home/user/MyDocs/worldclock .
chown root:root worldclock
chmod +x worldclock
Execution exactly as stated, report any errors/warning messages.

Edit: could be you ended up in something like /usr/bin/worldclock/worldclock ? Anyway, this should have been corrected now.

Last edited by ade; 2012-03-16 at 22:38.

Tags
clock-ui, replacement, worldclock