Hello! I've been using PB's superb install tools and KDE on my N810for a while now but finally decided that I'd try and actually learn something about Linux and how it works. This, of course, meant I messed up a whole bunch of things but it's been fun figuring out how to fix them.

It'll give you some idea of my level of knowledge to know it took me ages just to figure out how to edit a file on the Maemo!

But I've found something I'm really stuck on:

I reflashed my device to clear it out having tinkered and broken a lot of stuff. I then used PB's Install Tools to clone the OS to my 8gb Sd card.

After reflashing, the internal system was clean - no sign of left over settings or apps at all. BUT when I ran Install Tools the version of the OS created on my card contains all the Apps that I wanted to get rid of. Wierdly, though, Maemo's App Manager can't see them.

Using emelfm2 I can see the Apps in the /usr directory and they are still on the 'Extras' list in Maemo (and launch from there without any issues).

Presumably reflashing leaves some sort of file on my N810 that Install Tools picks up and uses to write data to the card - can anyone tell me what this file is and how I can destroy it (just delete?) so that i can do a completely clean re-flash and re-clone?

Thanks in advance - I've never used Linux before and I'd have been lost without the ITT forums so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Cheers,

Richard

The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Ross For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Richard Ross View Post
Hello! I've been using PB's superb install tools and KDE on my N810for a while now but finally decided that I'd try and actually learn something about Linux and how it works. This, of course, meant I messed up a whole bunch of things but it's been fun figuring out how to fix them.

It'll give you some idea of my level of knowledge to know it took me ages just to figure out how to edit a file on the Maemo!

But I've found something I'm really stuck on:

I reflashed my device to clear it out having tinkered and broken a lot of stuff. I then used PB's Install Tools to clone the OS to my 8gb Sd card.

After reflashing, the internal system was clean - no sign of left over settings or apps at all. BUT when I ran Install Tools the version of the OS created on my card contains all the Apps that I wanted to get rid of. Wierdly, though, Maemo's App Manager can't see them.

Using emelfm2 I can see the Apps in the /usr directory and they are still on the 'Extras' list in Maemo (and launch from there without any issues).

Presumably reflashing leaves some sort of file on my N810 that Install Tools picks up and uses to write data to the card - can anyone tell me what this file is and how I can destroy it (just delete?) so that i can do a completely clean re-flash and re-clone?

Thanks in advance - I've never used Linux before and I'd have been lost without the ITT forums so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Cheers,

Richard

I am confused?

You reflashed
You ran install tools
Now you cannot see apps in app manager if you boot from SD??
Can you see them in app manager if you boot from flash?

If you are seeing files from apps that were installed before you flashed? That would be a problem with the state of the card when you ran install tools. If it was needing to be fsck'ed when you tried to install, it can leave the old filesystem in place and the clone will not have worked, even though it appears it did.

I am confused exactly what your problem is??
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Sorry PB - rambling post. To be clear:

- I am trying top do a completely clean re-flash and re-clone of my N810, clearing out all Apps and settings

- I reflashed the N810 and reformatted my external card (mmc2)

- This appeared to work: I got back to a completely clean (as far as I could see) N810 working as it did the first day I got it.

- I then ran Install Tools, which cloned the OS to the card

- The cloned SD not only had the OS on it but all of the apps I thought had been deleted when I reflashed my device

- Maemo App manager (when booting from SD) cannot see the apps but they appear in the Maemo launcher lists are are visible in /usr

- I'm asuming that reflashing the device and reformatting the SD leaves something on it that Install Tools picks up (despite apps being deleted and the SD reformatted) and uses to reinstall the apps when it clones

Argh! All that sounds complicated, I know. In essence: flashing the N810 appears to reset it completely but running Install Tools creates a cloned system on the SD that reflects the pre-flash state of the device.

Thanks for your time on this PB, and especially thanks for the tools and KDE you've created.

Actually - I think you answered my question, already. Sounds like the card needs 'fsck'. No idea what that is but I'm off to find out - best way to learn. Thanks!

Hmmm. fsck says 'the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem' e2fsck says the same thing.

Meanwhile, Maemo's file manager says it contains no files but is using up 5gb of space.

Guess I'll try formatting the card from my Mac as ext2 and see if that improves matters. Could be the card's just buggered, i suppose.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Yes if install tools completes, but there are apps that were not installed in flash available something is buggered.

I would suggest reinstalling install-tools, you might need to install it twice.

But you should fsck before running. The fsck runs automatically if you boot to flash. Make sure you here the Linus voice prior to starting install-tools, the wav plays after fsck runs

You can also see the output from fsck /tmp/fsck.txt

Hope this helps,,,
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Tags
deprecated, install-tools, kde, kde35