Wondering if I have a defective unit.

Mic does not seem to pick up audio when I use the speaker phone function in a call.

Mic does not work well when I use earphones only and talk into the n9 from a slight distance.

Mic works fine when I hold the phone to my ear in normal call position.

Hands free earphones work perfectly.

I have done resets and upgraded to PR 1.1, and the problem has persisted throughout. It would be a shame if I had a bad unit because I'm well beyond any kind of free support being that I'm in the US.

I think I may be doing something wrong because the mic does work in a call, it just seems to not switch to a higher gain mode while using speaker phone.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ poor Slovenia
I think You should turn off NOISE CANCELLATION, on settings-device-call....

The Following User Says Thank You to matimilko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by matimilko View Post
I think You should turn off NOISE CANCELLATION, on settings-device-call....
Thanks, I did try this and to the same effect.

I did do some more experimentation and found that if I talk with the mic facing me (the bottom of the phone). I could get some quiet sounds into the call while in speakerphone mode..

I think that my n9 isn't changing the gain settings when it goes into speakerphone mode. Do any of you have this problem?

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Did you know that the secondary microphone is used in the speaker phone mode? That mic is located next to the camera LED flash on the back side of N9 (whereas the primary mic is behind the bottom grill with the loudspeaker element). That's why it could be helpful to turn the phone upside down when using the speaker phone mode. However, the speaker phone performance of N9 is fairly modest still.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kallela For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kallela View Post
Did you know that the secondary microphone is used in the speaker phone mode? That mic is located next to the camera LED flash on the back side of N9 (whereas the primary mic is behind the bottom grill with the loudspeaker element). That's why it could be helpful to turn the phone upside down when using the speaker phone mode. However, the speaker phone performance of N9 is fairly modest still.
So I should use the speakerphone with the n9 turned faced down? I'm going to give that a try. Thanks