Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I've had the N900 for 1 year now, and I've posted on several threads about having 3G video call application. It's sad to see no progress on this application.

The rationale of having 3G video call (some may argue in favor of Skype), is that in some countries, it's still much more effective and cheaper to use compared to Skype - wlan or data service required.

I'm still hoping to have this application on the N900.

We've had votes taken, even proposed to pay for the application ... we just need someone capable to create it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
I support this cause as well.. I just cannot get loose of my N900.. this community rocks!!

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
I have never been into the hole video calling scene, what is the advantages of 3G video calling.

I can get video calling on mine but this is with skype and G.Talk.
I also noticed that skype runs better then G.Talk, so how much better is the 3G then skype?

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
I have never been into the hole video calling scene, what is the advantages of 3G video calling.

I can get video calling on mine but this is with skype and G.Talk.
I also noticed that skype runs better then G.Talk, so how much better is the 3G then skype?
Hi frost. Where I come 3G video call is the same rate as a standard call charge. I understand it's the same for some other countries according to the various threads on this topic.

To use Skype, we need to be in wifi/wlan enabled location or subscribed to a data plan - which is rather expensive today.

Considering the above, you can guess that most of us here would not have friends using Skype video calls. So, in my 1 year of owning the N900, I have only used it a few times when I was travelling to the US to call my wife on Skype - laptop.

Shall I add you?

In DK it is not that expensive, i pay just under 10$ for 1GB a month.

Feel free to add me , just like my signature says.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
I've heard that even N70 has one!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
what is the advantages of 3G video calling.
you just call any mobile phone number and choose "video call" instead of "voice call" - the person you call needn't be on any internet chat service like skype or thelike, let alone be on the same network you're on or be online.

as long as they have their phone switched on and are on a 3G network (which is true for really anyone i know), it "just works". like phone calls "just work" while a skype voice call might not. (at least you'll never reach me on skype.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
thanks now i remember, as stated i have never been into the whole video call scene.

I see that N9 doesnt have this either.
I suppose its very hard for someone to hack it,as it would involve baseband drivers.
Quite disappointing nonetheless.

Ive been thinking too why there is no video call...

offtopic but in finland unlimited dataplan with maximum speed = 15 mbps = 13,90€ / month :P cheap it is.