Active Topics

I've kept my n900 but I've bought a galaxy note 10.1 for note taking and apps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
I've kept my n900 but I've bought a galaxy note 10.1 for note taking and apps.
have you tried dual booting with debian natively? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU4y...e_gdata_player

pressure sensitivity, wifi and most things seem to work. if that was possible with note 2 I would really consider it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lonk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
As a former N900 user and current N9 user, have to say you will never get the speed and precision a HWKB can provide you. Almost two years with my N9 and I still miss the keyboard. This and the browser experience.

PD: And i tried several several on-screen keyboards and different phones.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Galaxy note lll is the way to go. Wait for it...unless a keyboard device appears along the way. If you don't like it, get Note ll and you still get a great Penn.
Hmm just doesn't seem a good match except for the notetaking aspect. Too big for my taste but i'll see if i can find a friend that has one and give it a try.

Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
As a former N900 user and current N9 user, have to say you will never get the speed and precision a HWKB can provide you. Almost two years with my N9 and I still miss the keyboard. This and the browser experience.

PD: And i tried several several on-screen keyboards and different phones.
Yet there are almost no HWKB phones these days. I find that very strange.

I think I'm going to pick up a used mytouch 4g slide on ebay and try it out. For around $100 it's a much less expensive option than the BB Q10 and there's a hacker community (such as it is) and custom builds for it on xda developers that bring the latest Android to it. Even though it's two years old, coming from the N900, the hardware is going to seem amazing. It also had a pretty good camera for its time.

Worst case, i have a cheap backup phone with a keyboard that i don't like much.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2013-05-28 at 16:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
When the charging port on my N900 went, I was given a replacement Nokia E7 under warranty. The charging port on that has also broken, and I was given a Nokia 800.

Pretty much disgusted that I have went from a great phone, to a mediocre phone, to a god-awful POS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Yet there are almost no HWKB phones these days. I find that very strange.

I think I'm going to pick up a used mytouch 4g slide on ebay and try it out. For around $100 it's a much less expensive option than the BB Q10 and there's a hacker community (such as it is) and custom builds for it on xda developers that bring the latest Android to it. Even though it's two years old, coming from the N900, the hardware is going to seem amazing. It also had a pretty good camera for its time.

Worst case, i have a cheap backup phone with a keyboard that i don't like much.
Or depending on your location & carrier, you can give Motorola Droid 4 a try. But watch first the radios it supports.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ SF East Bay, Cali
I am still using my N900 and need to figure out how to purchase another N900 since Jolla has yet to announce a device with hardware keyboard. Perhaps some manufacturer in the Tizen camp will announce and release a device with a hardware keyboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayBEE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Or depending on your location & carrier, you can give Motorola Droid 4 a try. But watch first the radios it supports.
Hmm. Yeah it looks like a pretty nice bit of hardware but seems that it is yet to be hacked for US GSM use. :/

There is this, though. Supposedly it can be hacked to work with EDGE, with potential to get 4G after the repurposing of that bandwidth in the US.

Not sure who to believe, though. I read through the thread on XDA where the real pros were trying to get the Droid 4 to work with US GSM and they had concluded it was too securely locked down.

Looking at this comparison of the features reminds me that the "transflective" LCD of the N900 was also a selling point for me. I use it in direct sunlight a lot. I'm wondering if all or any other LCDs in these phones are "transflective". I know that LCD tech is more likely to be visible in sunlight than LED simply because there's a physical change in the light transmission properties in the pixels in an LCD, but i don't know if there's something special needed to make it "transflective".

ETA: Appears the D4 has good sunlight visibility, but not sure how it compares with N900: "Yes. The "blurring during vertical scroll" is a reported "feature" of the D4's pentile display. There was much griping in this forum early in the D4's release history about that. It seems that we've mostly gotten used to it, although it still bugs me a bit when I notice it. OTOH, I believe the pentile display is better in sunlight (for instance, compared to the Samsung Stratosphere, since you mention it... my wife's using one of those, and I can use my D4 outdoors in lighting that completely washer her display out.) "

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2013-05-29 at 17:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
i would go for note 2 soon

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholes For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Moved to Lumia 620 and iphone 5. They just work and that is all I need right now. N900 is still alive, I missed and I dont miss the keyboard. Now so used to the touchscreen that pressing harder than a light touch has become a chore

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, successor