Active Topics

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
This is so sad. N900 is also my last Nokia phone (most likely). Anyway my next phone will have MeeGo and it doesn't matter so much who's the manufacturer. I just hope that I don't have to make sacrifices hardwarewise because of this. Nokia has always made phones that suits my needs almost perfectly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Flop didn't even sack the dinosaurs as was rumoured. New management, or more like old management, is almost identical. Only some reshuffling of seats.

Flop, flop,flop.

www.elop.org. That's all I'm saying.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Long Island, New York
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
how nice. Developers who believed the qt/symbian/meego story will love nokia for this.
way to alienatde the supporters thus far eh?....not a single mention of Qt....shame

Lover of Music, Technology & Travel
If I'm not logged in, I'm probably jetsetting to a city near you...

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Commercially, I think this is good for both companies...

Nokia + MS = very recognizable and 'trusted' brand names for the masses.
i agree.

no news about meego yet, if nokia abandons meego, i hope they will open all thats closed on N900.

M$ just killed the biggest supporter of opensource, what a conspiracy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Swimm12984 View Post
in the us, both are most recognizable right now, in the mobile phone universe, as being FAILING competitors. 2 wrongs do not make a right
Yep, I completely agree from 'our' point of view.

But to the masses who are used to buy candybar and featurephones without caring the tech behind the brand names, I think these are very strong associations.

To reverse the role, think of what WE look for when we're buying stoves, kitchen ware, or wtf ever else that we men are not familiar/don't care about.

We just look for recognizable names... buy it, get it over with, so we can go back to our gadgets.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
End of story.

What is really sad is that all the effort to Qt and the whole open source ecosystem of this years could vanish like Sun's projects in the hands of Oracle.

May the KDE guys make a fork of Qt to ensure its continuity.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by thej80 View Post
i agree.

no news about meego yet, if nokia abandons meego, i hope they will open all thats closed on N900.
It's still alive, but seems very half-hearted effort. Propably kept alive until Flop finds new jobs in WP7 unit for empolyers currently employed for Meego.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Nokia Adops Windows Phone Software as Primary Smartphone Strategy, VP MeeGo Computers, Alberto Torres steps down!

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/02/11/no...es-steps-down/

They are saying that MeeGo is for the future but we all know if WP7 does well it will never get a fair chance.
like they saying MeeGo device(s) still coming this year they will just use them as a stop gap then dump us as soon as WP7 devices are ready to ship so dont buy one.

Last edited by NvyUs; 2011-02-11 at 08:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
One of the acknowledgments:
- Microsoft development tools would be used to create applications to run on Nokia Windows Phones, allowing developers to easily leverage the ecosystem’s global reach.

so QT is bye bye ... right?

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org