Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
fcrochik, when you say "check" can you make clear what exactly you want to check for in the other threads. If it's a check for votes from accounts created after July 21st then Im sure all the threads will have some new voters. We need to be more specific than that.

In the case of the "other" thread, it was not just because of new voters but because what looked like a pattern of voting from new and possibly 'fake' accounts to the extent that it could have affected the final placings.
I mean exactly that. Just calculate the polls excluding the votes from accounts created after July 21st and check how this affects the result. I would hope/assume that most results will not be affected...

Any results change that doesn't affect the winner will probably not be a big issue - it won't hurt much more than the ego. If the winner changes then we will have a whole different discussion and the only solution may be to run the poll again.

This is a community and most things are decided by vote/majority so depending on how different the new results are I think we can give a chance for the contestants on each category "agree/validate/confirm" it by voting and be done with.

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

The Following User Says Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
OK... I didn't read one more page of posts after the one I just replied so I had to post again:

KOJACKER: As one more developer that spent a very good deal of time writing the code and reading all comments on the competition threads: The criticism it is nothing compared to the complements you got! You don't have any reason to feel anything but pride of what you managed to accomplish.

Like someone suggested before me: there is no reason for you to remove yourself, just take the weekend off and wait for the moderators response.

In fact we probably all should do the same. Once we have the facts (if we can or not make the voters visible, if counting the votes without the new accounts make any difference, the reaction from the contestants with the new results, ...) then we can think on how to "wrap up" the issue.

Whatever happens you have our (at least mine) support...

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
Whatever happens you have our (at least mine) support...
Well said, Fcrochik!

lol thanks guys, I think the more I moan and complain the nicer you all treat me But there's no need, really.. Im still working on this. It's just an opportunity for someone if they'd like to take it And it might be good to have a change too, bring some energy back

I haven't received any further responses from any of the PMs I have sent out to persons directly, so I created a post on the "Ask the council" thread in the community section to see if we get any bites I think sometimes mods and admins can lose track of their PMs so it's not a bad idea to bump a council thread every now and again to wake them up a bit

Oh and whoever suggested I be a mod.. no thanks! Dealing with people like me everyday?!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I can understand why people are upset and to be honest its understandable.

Voting should only be one part of it. Others should include uniqueness of the app, utility of the app, quality of coding etc perhaps all scored out of 10

If I enter a competition I would much rather win by independent experts choosing than by a popularity contest.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-08-01 at 15:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
FYI Reggie has updated the community thread, I have requested the new placings.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41451&page=33

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Ack, gone for a week (sorry, my computer broke down) and then I return to this mess...

Sorry you have to go through this now, kojacker - I can only endorse what others have said: You're doing a great job, and I don't see it as a sign of bad organisation that you didn't account for people playing unfair.

(And as you said, whatever is going awry with this competition, it will help to further improve any future competitions.)

Hope this will work out with Reggies help now! Just please don't disqualify anybody. Unfair advertising or not (or maybe just simply a couple of overly caring friends), a lot of work has put into those applications, so as long as only "valid" votes are counted, everything should be fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Hey all, still waiting for the results or data of the results. It's on it's way, I think attilla77 needs to go home and get it after work

Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Ack, gone for a week (sorry, my computer broke down) and then I return to this mess...
Do you see what happens when you go away??! You're obviously our lucky charm.. quickly, everyone grab Nathraiben and hold tight until we get this competition over

Hope this will work out with Reggies help now! Just please don't disqualify anybody. Unfair advertising or not (or maybe just simply a couple of overly caring friends), a lot of work has put into those applications, so as long as only "valid" votes are counted, everything should be fine.
You've nothing to worry about, Ive no intention of disqualifying anybody unless they've done something really silly like create multiple accounts themselves or some other underhand dastardly scheme..

*twiddles evil moustache*

However I may disqualify you Nathraiben if you go away and jinx us again!

In all seriousness, the first step is to get rid of votes from duplicate/multiple/fake accounts and look for any evidence they may have been created by the developers themselves (not that I believe lullen or the Tweego guys would, just for completeness). What I want is to end up with is a legitimate list of votes from legitimate maemo.org accounts. Then we'll take it from there.

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-08-02 at 16:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Hi all, I have received the updated votes from Reggie and attilla77 for the "Other" contest. Thank you everyone for your patience - I know the waiting around sucked but there are some major changes to the results and I hope you can understand why I was so determined to check this all out.

In the interest of transparency im going to list the new votes for everyone here. The first column is the vote total after the multiple account check (votes from 0-post members from identical IPs are removed) and the number in brackets following is what was recorded on the poll.

TweeGo 122 (142)
Scout 53 (59)
qexercise 41 (145)
DropN900 39 (39)
BackupMenu 36 (37)
N9Profile 23 (23)
Qvernote 11 (11)
eye4 6 (6)
KhtEditor 6 (6)
Old School 4 (4)

Therefore, as this is the vote from legitimate maemo.org accounts, I propose this is the new final order.

I haven't been provided with any evidence that anyone has deliberately cheated, but obviously there has been a serious vote inflation. With respect to lullen, I hope you can understand that Im not able to allow your original first place to stand - that wouldnt be fair. But I want you to know that i dont think you deliberately tried to inflate your vote illegally, and you have my thanks for all your help and support during the contest.

If everyone is happy, I would like to extend my congratulations to the TweeGo guys

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-08-04 at 16:49.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
See - I'm back and everything turns out fine.
*bathes thread in pixie dust*

Joking aside, I think that's one rather nice outcome, especially with qexercise still ranking in the Top 3 (@lullen: and you DO have affirmation that you have a bunch of rather loyal friends, which should be worth something, too).

So, congrats to the TweeGo team and of course to all the other winners (don't you DARE not post any pictures of the conference back here! ) - and to everybody else. Lots of great new applications for us to enjoy, and thus I hereby declare this contest a huge success!

Thanks again to kojacker and his helping hands!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post: