Notices

Sorry, it worked.

But still, even I got flated brick with no particle, hard***.

It still have unstable FPS around 20-45.

Beside, I was wrong, it didn't crash. It just stuck because game over. And please make short help in game, at least tell which key to use

Thank you for bringing this fun game to us.

The Following User Says Thank You to archl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Thank you Aapo for porting this game! The game seems to use library sparrow3d. Library's description:
Code:
Sparrow3D is an application framework with software renderer especially for open handhelds. The goal is to just write an application once and to compile it...
So the game is using software rendering instead of hardware rendering (OpenGL ES). So that migth explain why the game is slower and consume more power than some other games.
Guitar Chords

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomppaS For This Useful Post:
Seems overclocking fix performance issue a bit.

Enough to me, however, I bet you will provide a mode completely disable audio, right?

That save CPU load will make game run smoother.

Hi guys,

By accident (or more exact: because of boredom in my lecture) I searched "puzzletube" on google and found this. And then I remembered, that I had some correspondence with Aapo some months ago. But at one point, we decided to break up the exchange of mails, because I am working on a newer, better, and a bit more documented core - my new engine sparrow3D. Furthermore I changed the kind of drawing the 3D stuff. It is still a software renderer, but with another technique (with z-buffer, real z-tests and textures).
Here is the newest video of my game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ev7EMaFeQA

You see, I changed the font, too. It's a new, fast AVR-Tree based system. Whatever, it is still a lot to do, but as I said and read here, it seems, that there is interest to bring my games to maemo.

My engine works on many different handhelds. I do not know, whether I will support touchscreen (doesn't matter, whether multitouch or not) later, but I would really like to support the maemo Hardware Input devices in the engine.

So, if you would like to be part of my multi platform utopia, feel free to react to my post. If I see interest, I will add maemo to the supported architectures in Sparrow3D. Furthermore I would be interested in some fps values from you, Aapo, of the new release and engine. Just keep in mind, that you now have to compile TWO project: sparrow3d and puzzletube.

greetings, Ziz

Edit: Oh I forgot: the new system has (nearly) constant fps. That means: No really slowdown if something explodes. ;-) Oh and before you ask: There will be an "Arcade mode" with some Tutorial levels and an easier control later.

Last edited by Ziz; 2011-11-22 at 13:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ziz For This Useful Post:
Hi, I checked current code from sparraw3d and puzzletube.

Ifdefs on code are same than with Pandora, but there are no pnd_*.

Makefile
ifeq ($(TARGET),maemo)
+CPP = gcc -DARMCPU -DMAEMO $(GENERAL_TWEAKS)
+SDL = `sdl-config --cflags`
endif

But I'm not sure about SDL_SetVideoMode.

puzzletube.c:80 screen = spCreateWindow();
Returns null.

Add error checking for that. I needed debugger to invent that screen->w is reason for seg faulting (because screen==NULL).

I got 320x240 window running. Without optimizations (debug build) and without audio (with errors according missing audio) FPS=17.

And on N900, fullscreen will be faster than windowed.
--
I think game should be work on read-only directory also:
settings.c:155
*file=SDL_RWFromFile("./highscore.dat","wb");
-> not good
--
We have discussed about this earlier, but it is still kind of funny:
game.c: 1057 "Slart"
(Means Start)
--
Is 3dengine.c used at all any more?

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Hi, I checked current code from sparraw3d and puzzletube.

Ifdefs on code are same than with Pandora, but there are no pnd_*.
pnd_*? Do you mean the libs? I comment these parts in sparrow3D out - it nevers worked on the pandora. XD

Makefile
ifeq ($(TARGET),maemo)
+CPP = gcc -DARMCPU -DMAEMO $(GENERAL_TWEAKS)
+SDL = `sdl-config --cflags`
endif
I'll add this.

But I'm not sure about SDL_SetVideoMode.

puzzletube.c:80 screen = spCreateWindow();
Returns null.

Add error checking for that. I needed debugger to invent that screen->w is reason for seg faulting (because screen==NULL).

I got 320x240 window running. Without optimizations (debug build) and without audio (with errors according missing audio) FPS=17.

And on N900, fullscreen will be faster than windowed.
That is not really fast... Are we talking about the textured mode? Oh and COMPLETELY without optimization? I never tried it without at least -Os...

Did you check the resolution of you N900? And the right parameters for creating the screen surface?

I think game should be work on read-only directory also:
*file=SDL_RWFromFile("./highscore.dat","wb");
-> not good
Hm, where is the exact problem?

We have discussed about this earlier, but it is still kind of funny:
game.c: 1057 "Slart"
(Means Start)
Oops... I changed it. ^^ Just have to commit.

Is 3dengine.c used at all any more?
No, every .c or .h file with no sparrow (doesn't matter, where exactl) in it, is old and obsolete. I will delete their later.

greetings, Ziz

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ziz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ziz View Post
pnd_*? Do you mean the libs?
Yes, -lpnd and include pnd_io_evdev.h.

And maybe it should be MAEMO5, not MAEMO, because MAEMO6 has different resolution.
Maemo5=N900=800x480 px
Maemo6=N950+N9 = 854x480 px

Originally Posted by Ziz View Post
That is not really fast... Are we talking about the textured mode? Oh and COMPLETELY without optimization? I never tried it without at least -Os...

Did you check the resolution of you N900? And the right parameters for creating the screen surface?
I tried couple of parameter-sets but not yet succeed to find working except that 320x240 (I know there are better resolution which works).

-*file=SDL_RWFromFile("./highscore.dat","wb");
+//Not valid syntax and check existence of directories.
+*file=SDL_RWFromFile("/home/$USER/.puzzletube/highscore.dat","wb");

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Yes, -lpnd and include pnd_io_evdev.h.
I will remove it.

And maybe it should be MAEMO5, not MAEMO, because MAEMO6 has different resolution.
Maemo5=N900=800x480 px
Maemo6=N950+N9 = 854x480 px
I will change it.

I tried couple of parameter-sets but not yet succeed to find working except that 320x240 (I know there are better resolution which works).
That is VERY strange, because, you said, it worked with the older puzzletube version. Do you have the old code still there? Please check the difference between spCreateWindow/spResizeWindow and resizeWindow (after an update! I forgot to add some MAEMO-specific code in my sparrowCore.c ...)

-*file=SDL_RWFromFile("./highscore.dat","wb");
+//Not valid syntax and check existence of directories.
+*file=SDL_RWFromFile("/home/$USER/.puzzletube/highscore.dat","wb");
Shouldn't be this file in /home/$USER/.config/puzzletube/highscore.dat if I use the freedesktop standard?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ziz For This Useful Post:
New version on extras-devel, check video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zLTerG2Nho

There are only 15 fps but it still feels fast. If you have overclocked device or you focused better settings, please comment.

This version has three different way of control the game.
*'Snake' is what earlier version had (read it about first post).
*Default is wasd for swapping stones and arrows to move cursor.
*And then there are 'experimental'.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Whats up now?? And....no no no i must buy a gamepad