Active Topics

Maybe I do something wrong but after rename /media/mmc1/bootmenu.scr to /media/mmc1/boot.scr. Next I select External SD card but it doesn't show bootmenu.
Attached Files
File Type: zip boot.zip (642 Bytes, 100 views)

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
Yes, I have free space, and I managed to solve the problem applying the changes I showed you, thanks (btw, I rebooted the device before noticing the error, and I got stuck in a reboot loop, but that's another story ).
Anyway, could you reproduce the issue? Maybe I did something wrong, but I think that adding the additional check that I suggested you won't do any harm.
I had the same issue, I have >10% free on rootfs, I had multiboot installed previously, what i've done was:

1. remove multiboot
2. reboot two times to confirm n900 works
3. installed two debs from your first post (second and third one, as first one was marked as not necessary)
4. downloaded tar.gz from your first post and extracted to root, confirmed that zImage files were in /boot and item files in /etc/bootmenu.d
5. removed framebuffer kernel and item file ([...]-omap1-fb)
6. so I had in /boot kernel with -omap1 and power kernel from kernel-power-bootimg package, and in /etc/bootmenu.d entries from your tar (all but the omap1-fb one) and entry from kernel-power-bootimg package (I replaced ITEM_USEATAG to ITEM_REUSEATAGS according to warning which was displayed)
7. i run u-boot-update-bootmenu, it said "Adding bootmenu entry for" and power50, omap1, Nemo, NITDroid and Kubuntu items were processed, but right after "Adding bootmenu entry for: 'Kubuntu'", it failed with message:
Code:
cat: can't open '/var/tmp/bootmenu.cmd.default': No such file or directory
8. I tried creating this file manually, still the same error and after running u-boot-update-bootmenu file was not in fs (it was deleted)
9. in /usr/bin/u-boot-update-bootmenu I wrapped lines 269-270 in the "if" statement as you suggested, re-run u-boot-update-bootmenu

Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
I think this happens if you don't set any default entry (you don't create the symlink "bootmenu.item" in /etc/default/).
I don't have /etc/default/bootmenu.item, but haven't checked if it works after creating symlink, so I cannot confirm if that's the case, but i cannot deny it either.

Last edited by misiak; 2012-05-20 at 15:40. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
2 questions.

First I get the following errors after u-boot-update-bootmenu
Code:
/etc/bootmenu.d $ u-boot-update-bootmenu 
Adding bootmenu entry for: Maemo 5 with attached kernel 2.6.28-omap1 (Internal Nand)

Configuration file: /etc/bootmenu.d/20-Maemo5-kernel-power-2.6.28.10-power50.item
Generating u-boot image for kernel 'zImage-2.6.28.10-power50'...
Adding bootmenu entry for: 'Maemo 5 with kernel-power 2.6.28.10-power50'

Configuration file: /etc/bootmenu.d/nitdroid.ext.item
Adding bootmenu entry for: 'NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.06'
Thr kp.item is the one that came with kp-bootimg from extras-testing and the nitdroid one I wrote it myself (probably doesn't work anyway, but it doesn't seem to be the problem)

2nd, I want to boot kernel power by default (in fact I don't even care about PR1.3, I don't need it) how can it be done? I suppose I can generate attached kernel on my pc and flash it just like I did with kp49 but isn't this new uboot supposed to make it easier to upgrade kp?

Thanks

EDIT: feeling stupid. I read the above post and saw I must have a /etc/default/bootmenu.item

please add a more detailed warning in the error or mention the need for this file in the first post. Suppose both my questions are now answered. Rebooting now...

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-05-20 at 21:19.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
2 questions.

First I get the following errors after u-boot-update-bootmenu
Code:
/etc/bootmenu.d $ u-boot-update-bootmenu 
Adding bootmenu entry for: Maemo 5 with attached kernel 2.6.28-omap1 (Internal Nand)

Configuration file: /etc/bootmenu.d/20-Maemo5-kernel-power-2.6.28.10-power50.item
Generating u-boot image for kernel 'zImage-2.6.28.10-power50'...
Adding bootmenu entry for: 'Maemo 5 with kernel-power 2.6.28.10-power50'

Configuration file: /etc/bootmenu.d/nitdroid.ext.item
Adding bootmenu entry for: 'NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.06'
Thr kp.item is the one that came with kp-bootimg from extras-testing and the nitdroid one I wrote it myself (probably doesn't work anyway, but it doesn't seem to be the problem)

2nd, I want to boot kernel power by default (in fact I don't even care about PR1.3, I don't need it) how can it be done? I suppose I can generate attached kernel on my pc and flash it just like I did with kp49 but isn't this new uboot supposed to make it easier to upgrade kp?

Thanks

EDIT: feeling stupid. I read the above post and saw I must have a /etc/default/bootmenu.item

please add a more detailed warning in the error or mention the need for this file in the first post. Suppose both my questions are now answered. Rebooting now...
Nice to see someone else has exactly the same problem on the same day

@pali
So, basically, if we want to have power kernel by default, we should run commands
Code:
ln -s /etc/bootmenu.d/20-Maemo5-kernel-power-2.6.28.10-power50.item /etc/default/bootmenu.item
u-boot-update-bootmenu
, right? If u-boot-update-bootmenu is a script, it would be nice if, after reading all config files from /etc/bootmenu.d it asked which kernel we want to use as default one if there is no /etc/default/bootmenu.item , or assume the first one (alphabetically) as default one. But that is only a suggestion/wish, I feel horrible to ask you for something anyway, you've already done so much useful stuff for me and my device...

Last edited by misiak; 2012-05-20 at 21:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
yes I did that but it does not boot. Neither does NitDroid (after reinstalling kernel which recreated the -hopefully- correct item file. I can only boot attached kernel. Kp hangs and nitdroid complains it cannot find the file. Have to go to sleep now but I'll try again tomorrow. G'night.

clarification: after creating the /etc/default/bootmenu.item symlink the error went away but still can't boot

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-05-20 at 21:44.

yes I did that but it does not boot. Neither does NitDroid (after reinstalling kernel which recreated the -hopefully- correct item file. I can only boot attached kernel. Kp hangs and nitdroid complains it cannot find the file. Have to go to sleep now but I'll try again tomorrow. G'night.
G'night. You may try the solution posted by MaddogG 2 pages ago -
wrap lines 269-270 with if statement as described in post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=256 -
and see if you can boot kernel power manually selecting its menu entry. I can

check out my clarification edit. I don't have the error anymore but still can't boot

check out my clarification edit. I don't have the error anymore but still can't boot
but what if you DELETE the symlink from /etc/default and edit /usr/bin/u-boot-update-bootmenu script to wrap lines 269 and 270 in an "if" statement, then run u-boot-update-bootmenu and reboot? The default kernel would be omap1 I think, but you should be able to select other kernels manually and they should boot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
I tried it again, without changing anything and I am inside maemo with kp50. Yay!

Now on to boot NITDroid and then Nemo and Ubuntu

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I made a uImage of NitDroid kernel, using mkImage, put it in the 2nd sd partition and tried to boot.

Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.07 on mmcblk1p2"
ITEM_KERNEL=2.6.28.NIT.07
ITEM_MODULES=ext3
ITEM_DEVICE=${EXT_CARD}p2
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
ITEM_FSOPTIONS=rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro
It does find the uImage, loads it but it gets stuck at Starting kernel...
what am I doing wrong?

of course NitDroid root is unpacked in that partition

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-05-21 at 19:45.

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot