Poll: Random Reboots on N900
Poll Options
Random Reboots on N900

I only got as far as setting the time/date on mine.

Immediately following that, it went into a non-stop reboot cycle.

It would reboot, get as far as displaying the desktop background, the led would then turn on white for about a second, fade to off, and reboot.

Waiting for a replacement now. I wasn't too upset with having to return it, since I have hopes of getting one with fewer dead pixels in addition to actually functioning.

BTW, does anyone know if Nokia has a dead-pixel policy? Mine had at least nine. One all by its lonesome and a cluster of at least 8 near the center that was really, really obvious.

I'm not putting much stock in these early replies, since it's come to light that a 30 count unwanted reboot (10 actual reboots) renders the device as bricked.

Originally Posted by bachagabriel View Post
i received my phone today at 12:00 PM. It is now 4:00 PM and my phone has rebooted at least 10 times
Originally Posted by makel View Post
Got it monday. About 50 reboots in two days and today I send it back and now I am waiting new one.

ps. Reboots happened with and without extra installed apps.
Originally Posted by bouvin View Post
My device began rebooting right out of the box (rebooted twice while I was setting the clock). No installed software; approx. 30 reboots, apparently random.

/Niels

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta, GA United States
Originally Posted by m0par View Post
I only got as far as setting the time/date on mine.

Immediately following that, it went into a non-stop reboot cycle.
I didn't even get that far. Out of the box my n900 continuously rebooted, while rebooting. I would get the first set of dancing dots, and it would stop on the 2nd dot from the left for a few seconds, then reboot. Eventually, it entered brick mode.

I tried the R&D mode trick to reset brick mode, and even though I was unable to enter R&D mode, then go back to production mode, once in production mode it was bricked for good. Contacted Nokia customer support, and they said to return it :-(

I didn't even try to flash it. Having never had the opportunity to change anything on the device, I figured the problem was not the flash.

Those with no reboots, how heavy are you using the N900??
Maybe its just power users that experience the "occasional reboots"

Originally Posted by hm88 View Post
Those with no reboots, how heavy are you using the N900??
Maybe its just power users that experience the "occasional reboots"
Define power user? It's a bit vague (does it mean multi-task alot). Or have several resource intensive apps open (e.g. gpodder downloading podcasts, pidgin, web browser, etc..?)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Define power user? It's a bit vague (does it mean multi-task alot). Or have several resource intensive apps open (e.g. gpodder downloading podcasts, pidgin, web browser, etc..?)
both =)

There is a quick-fix for this. Also, nokia has informed that this is a driver issue due to (un)expected spread in HW specs, and will be fixed.

In any case the device should not be continuosly run in "rebooting mode", as this will corrupt the filesystem.

see:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...335#post434335

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
A friend of mine is a Nokia service engineer... and I witnessed his device to reboot twice in as many hours, straight after reflash, with the device still in vanilla state.

First was while downloading mclock from app manager. Rebooted while still downloading.

The second, I believe was while writing an SMS.

...good thing mine works flawlessly

my phone does not charge. i could only use it for one day. in that day i had around 10 reboots.

this phone is a crap,

i am returning it and buying another brand.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35132&page=5

I just now had my first unexpected reboot.

Phone was idle. I had it too close to the computer so I heard that annoying GSM connect sound (the one a phone does routinely), so I grabbed it to move it farther away from the computer. That's when I noticed the white screen with NOKIA, and then the five small boot balls.

I had a browser, contacts, hp42 open. No excessive memory or CPU usage (it had been idle since last night). The only abnormality was that the last day it's had a screen refresh problem with the icon mode - when hitting 'more apps' and scrolling I could still see the first icons in the background.

Tags
fremantle, lack of quality control, maemo, maemo 5, n900, poll, problem, reboot, shine my boots