Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Picture is too small and blurry for me to identify the joints as surface mount (bad in this case) or through-hole design (better).

If reports are accurate that a flange has been added to the female connector, that will help a great deal-- but I continue to believe switching to through-hole mounting will be a wise move nonetheless.
is there anyway to identify what one got without opening n900?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Croc View Post
is there anyway to identify what one got without opening n900?
Not easily. Maybe with the right scope.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
Not easily. Maybe with the right scope.
anyone can find out from what IMEI number they corrected this?

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
I liked the old 2mm connector. It didn't need soldering because it didn't need to care about usb signal integrity.. Easily and quickly replaceable too.
They used the USB charger because that's supposed to become standard so it can be shared among devices instead of manufacturing millions of proprietary charges, or something like that. But it's obviously not perfect, with USB host mode being not available right now.

Ironically, I do use a 2mm charger all the time with my N900 anyway, using the 2mm adapter.

Really, they could have just added the 2mm socket; there's plenty of room for something so small.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I suppose a change to the mounting of the micro USB port would result in another hardware revision number.
You can check the hw-build via
Code:
cat /proc/component_version
Mine says 2101 while the preproduction unit from September was 2001.

What are your revisions?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Picture is too small and blurry for me to identify the joints as surface mount (bad in this case) or through-hole design (better).
Yea sorry about that. This is the best view of the usb port in the whole manual. I have been searching all over the internet for internal shots but all I can find are videos.

EDIT: Here's the original image only partially zoomed -

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I suppose a change to the mounting of the micro USB port would result in another hardware revision number.
You can check the hw-build via
Code:
cat /proc/component_version
Mine says 2101 while the preproduction unit from September was 2001.

What are your revisions?
I too have the 2101 hardware build. What production week is yours?

Last edited by Magel282; 2010-01-05 at 08:10.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I don't know the production week. Can I find it on the phone or is it only on the box. If it's only on the box, you will have to wait a few hours for my answer.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I don't know the production week. Can I find it on the phone or is it only on the box. If it's only on the box, you will have to wait a few hours for my answer.
Yea it tells you on the back of the box. Its on the far right under the phone symbol.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Belgium
Holy ****, that sucks even more then my n900 not charging anymore.

This...just...sucks. If a failure occurs due to this issue, Nokia sure as hell better replace it whether still under warranty or no. If I am paying $600 for a premium device, it better have loads better build quality than the $3-400 devices. If this was a case of a bean counter trying to save $.30 on a component to boost his own career, then he should be fired when the avalanche of failures and lemon law lawsuits start occurring.

I get that manufacturers are trying to standardize on a common charging port, at least in Europe, but why not add the tiny barrel connector already found on all previous Maemo devices. Sounds to me like a cash grab to force everyone to buy new accessories.

I have personally owned a number of gadgets over the years that have failed through regular, normal use due to poor mechanical stabilization of ports. The worst was a VERY expensive Sony Glasstron PLM-900 unit where the VGA connector was only secured by solder pads, so this makes me very nervous.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty