Active Topics

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Hi,

I made a little rsync backup script which syncs the content of a folder on the n900 to a server. This works without a password using public key authentication via ssh.

My question now is: How can I make this little script running once a day? Or maybe once a hour? Is there a recommended solution for this?

Thanks, jukey

Me on twitter

Isn't cron available on the device?

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Take a look at this

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Allemagne
For your scenario, you might also want to take a look at Shepherd. But I think it's not quite ready yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shanezlar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
Take a look at this
I'm not really a developer but I'll see if I can get som information out of it.

Thank you!

@jaark: There is a folder /etc/cron.daily but I can't run the command: cron as user or as root.

Me on twitter

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by jukey View Post
Hi,

I made a little rsync backup script which syncs the content of a folder on the n900 to a server. This works without a password using public key authentication via ssh.

My question now is: How can I make this little script running once a day? Or maybe once a hour? Is there a recommended solution for this?

Thanks, jukey
Bit off-topic, but still.

You're using PKI auth without a password? Does the server check the validity of the certificate against a specific authority? If not, how will you be able to blacklist the certificate in case your device is stolen or lost?

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Does the server check the validity of the certificate against a specific authority? If not, how will you be able to blacklist the certificate in case your device is stolen or lost?
That's not really how SSH keys work. It doesn't use CAs and automatically trust anything signed by them, a server will trust a list of particular individual keys. If the device holding the private key is compromised you simply remove that particular key from the authorized keys list.

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
That's not really how SSH keys work. It doesn't use CAs and automatically trust anything signed by them, a server will trust a list of particular individual keys. If the device holding the private key is compromised you simply remove that particular key from the authorized keys list.
I do realise that, but then you can really only use the key for one specific usage, as having to blacklist the key in several different servers is a security risk (simply put: you might forget one). On the other hand, if you use a different key for each usage, you are at risk of exposing a specific service, because that specific key wasn't blacklisted.

Hence my question, are there any server-side systems that allow to verify an SSH key against an authority (not specifically a CA, rather a key repo?)

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
SSH supports Kerberos authentication, is this what you need?
http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networ...sh/ch11_04.htm