Active Topics

Poll: Delet the values from the speedpatch?
Poll Options
Delet the values from the speedpatch?

Posts: 856 | Thanked: 1,681 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Aleppo ,Syria
Originally Posted by Seker_94 View Post
btw just wanted to say : if those patches are as freeman says for about year
then why my N900 is still alive since 2009
so go FiretrUCK ur self
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Don't install it, search the forum for reasons why
Still ?

Grow up, both of u

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karam For This Useful Post:
Hello,

I just discovered these patches and I had some of them installed already long time ago, but the speed and battery patches was something new. I installed them both and they work fine and improve phone snappiness considerably, but I got a problem. Uptil now, I was using my N900 OC'ed to 950 max contantly using qCPU. I am currently on Kernel Power 51r1. Now after installing the battery patch, I realized that the max CPU freq was limited to 805. I followed the instruction in the first post to change it in the 'overclock-new' file and rebooted, but nothing changed. Tried it a couple of time, disable smartreflex vdd1 vdd2, even uninstalled and reinstalled, but the damn CPU freq stays locked to 805. I also wanted to lower the min freq to 250, which I also changed in the 'overclock-new' file, and nothing happened there either! Does any1 have any solutions? Thanks!

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
reflash! Don't use *patch
first i don't realy understand what does this patch do (that is why it is called miracle patch)
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...05#post1012405

Those who actually *do* understand what those patches do, strongly deprecate them.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
reflash! Don't use *patch
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...05#post1012405

Those who actually *do* understand what those patches do, strongly deprecate them.

/j
These patches havnt done anything wrong on my N900. Plus speedpatch really improves performance. And also who ever wants to install these patches let them decide by themselves.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
Plus speedpatch really improves performance.
It forces a 805 overclock seemingly without warning, it's bound to feel snappier than stock.

If you have looked/understood the sources you will understand why good devs strongly deprecate it.

Also bear in mind kernel-power has changed a fair bit since this package was up dated and it depends on it.

Edit:-

Please note highlighted by recent issues, I have serious concerns about the following packages.

batterypatch:-
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...terypatch/8.2/
This package is currently in extras-devel

*Sets a fairly agressive overclock to devices after installation, only warning of this is in details/description section.

*Potential damage to system components via an application is a serious security risk and blocker.

*Doesn't un-install cleanly and leaves residue in root.

*This package checks for kernel-power version, before setting it's clock speeds, only kp versions 40-48 are checked.

*Batterypatch kernel-settings are reloaded at stop/start hildon-desktop, so can cause lag if h-d restarts (large upstart script).

*debian/coyright file doesn't contain "a verbatim copy of its copyright information and distribution license"

*Some above issues do not conform to Debian Policy manual version 3.7.2.2 of which Maemo is based on.

speedpatch:-
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...peedpatch/4.0/
This package is currently in extras

*Modifies /syspart without warning which has potential to damage future installed packages.

*Uses it's own version of /syspart as a stock reference which could cause issues even after removal.

*Doesn't un-install cleanly and leaves residue in root. One obvious example is /etc/event.d/speedpatch is still there after uninstallation.

*There are multiple negative QA votes from respected members of the forum explaining issues, which have not been addressed/answered before promotion.
I doubt the positive QA voters have tested the package correctly, most have no Karma. Also I feel it has been promoted unfairly.

See QA vote by freemangordon CSSU developer below.
x] Bug database exist. OK

[x] Licensing ok. FAIL copyright file contains only string "GPL",never seen such licensing

[x] No illegal/dubious content. OK

[x] Working provided features. OK. The only feature I can see is creating new cgroup for terminal started applications.

[x] No missing announced features. FAIL The software claims to achieve system speedup. As it does nothing more than creating an additional cgroup and moving terminal started application into it and having in mind that terminal applications are minority, technicaly I do not see any way in which any speedup for non-terminall applications could be achieved. And also there is no explanation from the author on the matter.

[x] Optification ok. OK.

[x] No performance problems. OK. As this SW does nothing, there should not be performance impact.

[x] No power management issues. OK, same as above

[x] No known security risks. OK
*debian/coyright file doesn't contain "a verbatim copy of its copyright information and distribution license"

*Some above issues do not conform to Debian Policy manual version 3.7.2.2 of which Maemo is based on.

Due to information complied above these are deemed unstable and will be added to the known broken packages list.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/...roken_packages

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2013-03-10 at 13:19.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
I think it would be a great idea from cenior developers to help fixing and modifying what's needed be modified or fixed., instead of dumping a 2 years old programs for some reasons without considering it's goodies right?

As I can't help anymore because I don't own an N900 right now..

Thank you for your effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to karam For This Useful Post:
@*sixwheeledbeast

Speedpatch doesn't force 805..
Batterypatch does so.. And it has a warning of that in the description
As for kp versions. U are right it only checks some versions.. However as I remember correctly.. Other versions doesn't need to be checked because they use the same over clock scheme

Last edited by karam; 2013-03-10 at 14:59.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by karam View Post
@*sixwheeledbeast

Speedpatch doesn't force 805..
Batterypatch does so.. And it has a warning of that in the description
Correct I have been though all the sources and tested the package, hence the critical bug report above.

I was refering to the previous post were the user had a 805Mhz overclock and didn't know how to fix. This user had installed both packages.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Hi guys! Whats wrong with speedpatch? It's working with no issues with cssu-thumb and devel for me.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Earth
mmmmmm, cliffs?

Tags
autobrick, awesome-script, do no install, f***epitaph, install it now, perfect_ n900, script-a-brick, very safe