Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 1,573 | Thanked: 3,349 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#191
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I realize that "f*ck google" is one of the tags for this thread, but I'm going to risk having my head bitten off, and being drummed out of this community. I am going to claim that the best handheld gnu/linux machine for 2017 and the foreseeable future is an Android phone running Termux. Termux allows you to run gnu/linux applications, on an unrooted Android phone, compiled for 64 bit arm. Termux is open source, with an active community. I can run Python 3.6, iPython, sympy, numpy, scipy and astropy. I run it on recent hardware (a Pixel XL), and when that machine is obsolete, it'll be trivial to get newer hardware. If I cared about Google's collection of my data (which I don't), I could just create a throw-away gmail account for it under a phony (no pun intended!) name, and leave it in airplane mode all the time. If I cared about a hardware keyboard, I could run it on a Blackberry phone, or some other Android phone with a keyboard. What currently available handheld gnu/linux machine is better than this?
I wouldn't call it the best gnu/Linux machine.. More the best gnu/Linux emulator app for Android phone.
 

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
endsormeans's Avatar
Posts: 2,235 | Thanked: 5,408 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
#192
@ nx500

the fact you are posting here is ample proof enough tmo is not dead.
If tmo were dead...you would get no response when trying to even navigate to the site.
tmo having fewer members than in the beginning ...is a given.
tmo catering to unique devices and hence unique individuals makes it niche enough to mean it will have few individuals present.
But since tmo caters to not just one or two devices or platforms...but many...and continues to grow thus....adding new devices and platforms to its ranks...I doubt it will die ..at least not in the foreseeable future.
__________________
Lurker since 2007,
Member since 2013,
Certifiable since 1972

Rosa sum ergo spam sum....
I am pink, therefore I am spam


Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement),
3-n800's,
3-n810's,
5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 has loose usb ( considering it for parts), 1 has no telephony (perfect for permanent set-up as mini-pc with one of my monitors))
1/2 neo900 pre- "bought" in 2013. Due for production any moment now. .
3 nexus 5's : 1 with Lineage ( intend maemo leste when ready) , 1 with Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Plasma Mobile


PIMP MY N8X0
Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAY
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PRO
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTS
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Ken-Young's Avatar
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,498 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
#193
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I wouldn't call it the best gnu/Linux machine.. More the best gnu/Linux emulator app for Android phone.
I disagree. It's running gnu apps on a real Linux kernel. It produces an glibc API for application code. The only unusual thing from a gnu/Linux point of view is the hybris and bionic layers, but that can all be thought of as a very bizarre glibc implementation. The only really nonstandard thing I can see is that /proc is not visible, so utilities that pull information out of there don't work (at least under Android Oreo - I think /proc was accessible in earlier versions of Android).
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,573 | Thanked: 3,349 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#194
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
.
.
.
The only unusual thing from a gnu/Linux point of view is the hybris and bionic layers, but that can all be thought of as a very bizarre glibc implementation.
.
..
Indeed! Also issues with drivers. Not much of a machine if you can't control it. Any significant advantage of termux over gnu root debian or linux on android. Both work as a linux terminal. Also both can make a desk top environment. Just askin'
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Feathers McGraw's Avatar
Posts: 627 | Thanked: 2,244 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
#195
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I am going to claim that the best handheld gnu/linux machine for 2017 and the foreseeable future is an Android phone running Termux.
I like Termux... since you seem to use it quite a lot, i wonder if you know how to enable bash autocompletion?
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,573 | Thanked: 3,349 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#196
Hi. Happen to notice that bash auto completion works fine on Gnuroot Debian (my phone is not rooted). Also have access to files on internal storage of phone. Is there a way to have access to files in internal storage using Termux? Or is it a self contained linux environment?
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Ken-Young's Avatar
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,498 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
#197
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Any significant advantage of termux over gnu root debian or linux on android. Both work as a linux terminal. Also both can make a desk top environment. Just askin'
Sadly, Android version 8 (Oreo) broke gnuroot Debian (see https://github.com/corbinlc/GNURootDebian/issues/206). It looks like the issue may be "seccomp filtering" which was added in Oreo. This problem was noticed immediately upon the initial release of Oreo, a couple of months ago, and it has not been fixed yet. I get the feeling that gnuroot Debian has fewer people working on it than Termux does.

I've used both, and gnuroot Debian seemed to give a more "fully gnu/linux" feeling than Termux does. It felt like a regular changeroot environment. gnuroot Debian has an integrated X11 server, which Termux does not.

However, gnuroot Debian is a 32 bit Arm environment, and Termux is 64 bit. Even if you disabled wakelock and wifilock on gnuroot Debian, it still occasionally drained significant battery power even when you weren't running any code with it. Termux doesn't do that. Also, Termux supports setting up scripts that are run whenever the handset is booted, and also can be integrated with Tasker.

Termux only supports passwordless ssh logins to the handset; there is no concept of a user account, so you have to copy your public ssh keys onto the handset if you want to allow logins via sshd, and since there's no password then, it's a bit less secure than logging in using sshd under gnuroot Debian.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,573 | Thanked: 3,349 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#198
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Sadly, Android version 8 (Oreo) broke gnuroot Debian (see https://github.com/corbinlc/GNURootDebian/issues/206). It looks like the issue may be "seccomp filtering" which was added in Oreo. This problem was noticed immediately upon the initial release of Oreo, a couple of months ago, and it has not been fixed yet. I get the feeling that gnuroot Debian has fewer people working on it than Termux does.

I've used both, and gnuroot Debian seemed to give a more "fully gnu/linux" feeling than Termux does. It felt like a regular changeroot environment. gnuroot Debian has an integrated X11 server, which Termux does not.

However, gnuroot Debian is a 32 bit Arm environment, and Termux is 64 bit. Even if you disabled wakelock and wifilock on gnuroot Debian, it still occasionally drained significant battery power even when you weren't running any code with it. Termux doesn't do that. Also, Termux supports setting up scripts that are run whenever the handset is booted, and also can be integrated with Tasker.

Termux only supports passwordless ssh logins to the handset; there is no concept of a user account, so you have to copy your public ssh keys onto the handset if you want to allow logins via sshd, and since there's no password then, it's a bit less secure than logging in using sshd under gnuroot Debian.
Thanks for the background information. I hope a work around for the seccomp filtering issue is possible. Seems like the minute you get a little comfortable with things someone pulls the rug from underneath you...
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 530 times | Joined on Feb 2011
#199
Currently by the end of 2017, there are a few Linux/win machines which are pretty nice and compact.
and
"which really exist"

1 GPD Win

64 GB internal
4GB Ram
full qwerty + gaming keys which acts as mouse
1 usb 3.0
1 full hdmi
1 micro sd
full windows 10
Ubuntu working

2 Gole1

64 GB internal
4GB Ram
1 usb 3.0
2 usb 2.0
1 full hdmi
1 micro sd
full windows 10
Ubuntu working

3 Linux Deploy / Bochs / Limbo for Android

depends on your device configuration

4 Nano Pi2 UMPC (a DIY project and my favorite)
Name:  Screenshot from 2017-11-28 06-43-14.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  21.6 KB

from
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2514014
i feel we should support this guy its a really nice DIY project.

there are a few more like
Pyra
Gemini PDA(which is really pretty ergonomic if really produced)
Pandora
but they are still in kick-starter


i am considering to get GPD win, as it is really easy to handle with joystick so no mouse or touchscreen needed for input(although it has a capacitive touchscreen), and Linux ready..
 

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 630 | Thanked: 1,457 times | Joined on Aug 2010
#200
HI - immi.shk

this was an outstanding post and can be built upon.

In just a few more days we need to begin a poll thread
for
What was best Handheld gnu/linux machine for 2017


The format you used for your post is an excellent start

Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
Currently by the end of 2017, there are a few Linux/win machines which are pretty nice and compact.
and
"which really exist"

1 GPD Win

64 GB internal
4GB Ram
full qwerty + gaming keys which acts as mouse
1 usb 3.0
1 full hdmi
1 micro sd
full windows 10
Ubuntu working

2 Gole1

64 GB internal
4GB Ram
1 usb 3.0
2 usb 2.0
1 full hdmi
1 micro sd
full windows 10
Ubuntu working

3 Linux Deploy / Bochs / Limbo for Android

depends on your device configuration

4 Nano Pi2 UMPC (a DIY project and my favorite)
Attachment 39689

from
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2514014
i feel we should support this guy its a really nice DIY project.

there are a few more like
Pyra
Gemini PDA(which is really pretty ergonomic if really produced)
Pandora
but they are still in kick-starter


i am considering to get GPD win, as it is really easy to handle with joystick so no mouse or touchscreen needed for input(although it has a capacitive touchscreen), and Linux ready..
__________________
Three n900s: One for stable working platform,
One for development testing Chopping Onions
One for saltwater immersion power testing resurrected ! parts scavenging

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2017-11-28 at 04:29. Reason: format nudge
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
alternative, device, f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck it all, f*ck microsoft, linux, open source, tablet, unobtainium

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:20.