Notices

Let me preface this post by saying this is my first post and I just received my n900 3 weeks ago and I got to say I LOVE the phone! I am not that new to the forum because I have been religiously reading threads here since my new phone to make the most of the amazing device, and this site has been an immense help.

As the title states, I am trying to set up VNC viewer to tunnel through SSH for my phone. I already have VNC viewer working, but I would like to further secure the connection. The threads I found regarding this topic seemed to all be linux specific, so if someone could toss me some step by step noob-friendly, instructions for windows XP to get me on the right path I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Las Vegas
AFAIK they don't make any native SSH servers for windows. You'll either have to use a Linux compatibility layer like Cygwin, or just put Linux on a spate computer and run the tunnel off of that. Keep in mind that you can run the tunnel on a different machine on your network; it doesn't have to run on the machine you want to connect to. As long as your machine and the SSH server are on the same network, it'll work.

As a more exotic example, I run my SSH tunnel off of my old N810. I have only that exposed to the outside. When I connect to it from the outside, it makes the connection to my PC and sends between data it and my phone. It doesn't really matter what OS your target machine runs--I use this same set up to connect to all of the machines in my house: two Ubuntu machines and one XP.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the link Kriek, however, when I tried Rob1n's method, I got an error in the settings for freesshd. It asks me for a file path for the rsa key. And when I do move it onto my computer, it claims that the file isn't readable. Any idea how to fix this problem?

Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Thanks for the link Kriek, however, when I tried Rob1n's method, I got an error in the settings for freesshd. It asks me for a file path for the rsa key. And when I do move it onto my computer, it claims that the file isn't readable. Any idea how to fix this problem?
Unfortunately I didn't run into this problem. But are you sure it is preventing you from moving to the next step? All I can really suggest at this point is spending some time reading through the thread. When you get really stuck maybe reply there to keep things together. I have a few noob questions at the end of the thread that may help. Think it through, be patient, and you'll eventually get it working...

Wow I feel stupid now. If I just ignored the error and fixed the typo I had in the config file it worked just fine. Thanks for the help :P