Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Montreal
Re: the color pixel detection: notice those gray "splotches" (I can't think of a better word for them between the quadrants in the squares? Those are intended to improve accuracy by not registering movement into them. This means doing a getpixel under the pen location, which means, programming-wise, that I'll have to convert the server-side pixmap to a client-side one. But I didn't know GTK+ at all until last week, so I'll have to do a bit of research.

As far as riding the bezel goes, I can't reproduce it myself (but then again, I'm running in landscape mode, so I have only one bezel that's really an issue). I suspect some sort of rounding error, and I have some ideas on how I could fix it, but I'd need you to beta test packages I'd send over to you, because I don't want to cut releases with changes I'm not that sure about...

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
bge, this looks, at a minimum, fun.

"I've only made a .deb available for now; you'll need to sudo gainroot to install it."

I know how to sudo gainroot, but what do I do then to install qwikscript? (I clicked Open and the deb appeared to install normally; and it shows in Installed Apps, but not in Extras or anywhere like that.)

So how do I complete installing it? And once installed, how start it? And how decide in a hildonized app which input method will pop up?

Thanks!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

GeraldKo, actually, you won't need to become root after all. I fixed the package so it installs properly using the app manager.

To complete the installation, restart the tablet.

To activate, bring up the on-screen keyboard normally and click on the button in the lower right corner. In the popup, click 'input method' then select 'QwikScript'.

Hope this helps. Let me know...

It shows up as an "Input method" but it's faded out and can't be selected.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by bge View Post
Re: the color pixel detection: notice those gray "splotches" (I can't think of a better word for them between the quadrants in the squares? Those are intended to improve accuracy by not registering movement into them. This means doing a getpixel under the pen location, which means, programming-wise, that I'll have to convert the server-side pixmap to a client-side one. But I didn't know GTK+ at all until last week, so I'll have to do a bit of research.
I assumed those were just decoration; clearer than narrow lines.

It appears they are parabolas; it seems it would be simpler to do the math to figure out which side you're on; plus that makes it less pixel-size dependent.

As far as riding the bezel goes, I can't reproduce it myself (but then again, I'm running in landscape mode, so I have only one bezel that's really an issue). I suspect some sort of rounding error, and I have some ideas on how I could fix it, but I'd need you to beta test packages I'd send over to you, because I don't want to cut releases with changes I'm not that sure about...
I'm not at all certain it's a bug, yet. May just be my screen. So unless you're pretty sure a rounding error is probable, I wouldn't bother...

As far as the portrait version; it works great in full-width; however, with the navigator on the side, it's almost as non-usable as before. Now both pads are ~80% visible... How about a test for the width; if it's too narrow to fit both fully, align it so the alpha pad is fully visible, and the other truncated. If there's enough width, center it like now.

I'm starting to get the hang of it, but the letter I want is always hiding on the wrong side of my fingers and stylus. :/

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
It shows up as an "Input method" but it's faded out and can't be selected.
Drat, looks like you had to be root after all... I had this problem on scratchbox at one point, and I can't remember at all how I fixed it exactly.

Try the following, after running sudo gainroot, and restarting the tablet in between tries:
  • hildon-im-recache
  • dpkg -i <where you downloaded the .deb>
  • If nothing else works, send me the list of files you have in your /usr/lib/hildon-input-method directory and your /usr/lib/hildon-input-method/hildon-im-plugins.cache file by PM. I'll compare with mind and try to figure out what's going on.

Thanks in advance!

I've the same problem as GeraldKo.
Drat, looks like you had to be root after all... I had this problem on scratchbox at one point, and I can't remember at all how I fixed it exactly.

Try the following, after running sudo gainroot, and restarting the tablet in between tries:
  • hildon-im-recache
  • dpkg -i <where you downloaded the .deb>
  • If nothing else works, send me the list of files you have in your /usr/lib/hildon-input-method directory and your /usr/lib/hildon-input-method/hildon-im-plugins.cache file by PM. I'll compare with mind and try to figure out what's going on.
If I install the new version with dpkg -i this is the output:
Code:
Preparing to replace hildon-input-method-plugins-qwikscript 0.9.0-1 (using hildon-input-method-plugins-qwikscript_0.9.1-1_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement hildon-input-method-plugins-qwikscript ...
Setting up hildon-input-method-plugins-qwikscript (0.9.1-1) ...
Processing: western_common_vim_settings.so
hildon-im-recache[2421]: GLIB WARNING ** default - No available languages in western_common_vim_settings.so! This is not HIM plugin (probably it's a TIS plugin)
Processing: him_vkb_qwikscript.so
Processing: western_wc.so
Processing: western_fkb.so
Processing: western_hwr.so
Processing: western_scv.so
Processing: western_vkb.so
Processing: western_onscreen_scv.so
Processing: keyboard_monitor.so
Number of plugins processed: 8
and
Code:
ls -lrt /usr/lib/hildon-input-method/
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        18508 Nov 20 16:53 western_scv.so
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        18660 Nov 20 16:53 western_common_vim_settings.so
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        28036 Nov 20 16:53 western_vkb.so
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        16780 Nov 20 16:53 western_onscreen_scv.so
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        51920 Nov 20 16:53 western_fkb.so
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        18960 Nov 20 16:53 keyboard_monitor.so
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        28000 Nov 20 16:53 western_wc.so
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        24680 Nov 20 16:53 western_hwr.so
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       221696 May  8 03:23 him_vkb_qwikscript.so
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1868 May  9 00:22 hildon-im-plugins.cache

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikem For This Useful Post:
Happy to install as root, just need instruction. Benson, how did you do it?

And do you guys find QwikScript faster than the virtual keyboard?

Help Save This Forum

All,

I think I figured out why the menu item is dimmed. It's related to input language settings. I now recall what I did to fix it in scratchbox--I changed the language returned by the im plugin and then promptly forgot I'd done it

I'll read a bit more on what languages I'm supposed to support. But overall, the problem is that I only support en_US for now, and you're probably using en_GB or something else.

Until I fix this problem, you can enable the plug-in by setting your input language. Do that in the control panel, Text input settings, Languages tab, and set one of the two languages to English (USA). Then, go to the virtual keyboard, click on the input menu (bottom left icon) and change the Language (Language cascading menu) to English (USA). The QwikScript options should un-dim (is that a word?).

Sorry I misled everybody about the root install and made everyone reboot their tablet; there's little documentation on the input method framework, and I've been working on this for the past couple of weeks an hour at the time, so I tend to forget some details :-)

As far as speed of QwikScript is concerned: no, I'm not faster with it yet than with the virtual keyboard. I ported it even though I didn't know whether it was any good, mostly because I wanted a pen-based input that worked better than the HWR; unfortunately, the only way to know whether it worked well was to port it and try it out. I'm getting faster with it every day as I internalize the strokes needed; it probably will remain slower than the thumb keyboard, but faster than the HWR, Graffiti or the hunt-keys-one-at-a-time pen keyboard. YYMV, etc.

Still, according to the researcher's paper (http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/experimen...uikwriting.pdf), it's supposed to be roughly 3x faster than Graffiti after some training.

Thanks, I have it working now. It's like a kid's game. I plan a word and see how fast I can do it. It's hard to tell if it can be faster than hunt-and-peck on the virtual qwerty, but I'm used to the qwerty. I find the little letters hard to see on the QwikScript "keyboard" too. I kind of like it though. Thanks for the port, and for the info on it! I'll give the pdf a read.

the problem is that I only support en_US for now, and you're probably using en_GB or something else.
Benoit, where is your Québécois pride!?!

Help Save This Forum