Poll: Is Google evil?
Poll Options
Is Google evil?

This is a plain yes or no question, please just give your opinion. Eventually state why you made that choise in a future post (it's up to you whether you want to start a flame war).

Personally I'm not going to argue about anything here, I just want to know if the community in general does consider Google as "the next Microsoft" (a possible threat) or not. It's as simple as that, nonetheless the results will be interesting.

Thanks for the participation, and different opinions are always welcome! Enjoy!

Edit: I forgot to add a poll

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
This doesn't belong in General.

Google is a company. It can be neither evil nor good. As a company it has mostly followed policies i consider good, but no company as large as it is can do so indefinitely.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
This doesn't belong in General.
Sorry about that.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Sorry about that.
You can edit the post and add a poll now right?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Google is a company. It can be neither evil nor good.
Once the US Supreme Court said a corporation can be considered equal to a human entity, that opened the door to collective personality traits.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
You can edit the post and add a poll now right?
No, unfortunately there is no such an option (at least that I'm aware of).

Can you try to create a poll for one of your previous threads, just to see if it works for you? (This would be appreciated)

The poll option disappeared after the first time I posted the opening post. After that I never got another chance...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
No, unfortunately there is no such an option (at least that I'm aware of).

Can you try to create a poll for one of your previous threads, just to see if it works for you? (This would be appreciated)

The poll option disappeared after the first time I posted the opening post. After that I never got another chance...
I think all of my threads have Polls

hahaha

At least I think I am funny

Well I can't seem to find it, maybe I am crazy? I thought you could do it afterwards?

EDIT

Alright delete the whole thread and make a new one in Off Topic
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I think all of my threads have Polls

hahaha

At least I think I am funny

Well I can't seem to find it, maybe I am crazy? I thought you could do it afterwards?

EDIT

Alright delete the whole thread and make a new one in Off Topic
Can I delete a thread (even my own)? Didn't know that... are you sure about that?

Edit: I think I'll just leave it this way, I'm gonna disconnect soon anyway...

Last edited by c0rt3x; 2009-10-19 at 17:28.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Its a sum of + and -. Nobody sees all the + and -. Add to that, 'good' and 'evil' are moral values. Hence truth lies in the eye of the beholder.

In my opinion publicly owned corporations are evil in their roots because of the lack of personal responsibility of those who run it. But that opinion doesn't bring me anywhere.

Another question is, if Google is evil then what is the alternative for Google? Search related wise, Microsoft's Bing? No thanks, I've found Microsoft more immoral in recent years. I'd rather see Google as monopoly than Microsoft. OTOH, 20 years ago many would have preferred a Microsoft monopoly over an IBM monopoly.

My quibble with Google is that all personal data is stored in USA and the privacy laws there suck however again Microsoft Bing wouldn't solve that issue. Using Google, as least evil out of necessity/comfort, yet as less as possible, seems the only practical solution.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
There's always cuil.

Tags
froogle rules!, g666gle, knol