It's been six months which have flown by, but the current Maemo Community Council's term is coming to an end and it's time for the election of five people to the council who represent the Maemo community's interests to Nokia and vice-versa.

The next election's voting will run from Thursday, 16th September to Wednesday, 22nd September.

What's it for?

The council is a body of volunteers taken from the Maemo community. It acts as a focal point for the Maemo community, representing developers on, and users of, maemo.org to Nokia (and vice versa). Examples of council activity can be found on the Council homepage or in the blog, but also in the tens of little things that happen in the background of which you may be unaware.

For example, in this term, some of the issues the Council dealt with include:

• Cease & desist issues over Chromium distribution
  • The release of PR1.2
  • The bundling of Nokia's "MyNokia" service with PR1.2
  • The pushing of Ovi Store for Maemo, but the limited set of technologies it supports
  • The Fremantle Developer Device Queue
  • Improvements to the Extras-testing process
  • The evolution of MeeGo
  • The MeeGo Conference (replacing the annual Maemo Summit)
  • The announcement that Nokia will not be supplying a commercial-quality MeeGo variant to N900 end-users
  • Implementing a set of rules for talk.maemo.org
  • A brainstorm on the future of the Maemo community
  • The increasing move of focus of Nokia from Maemo maintenance and support to MeeGo growth.
What's next?

Community members should be considering whether they want to stand. When nominations open, you can nominate someone via an email to maemo-community (which they must reply to to accept) or you can put your own hat into the ring by emailing the same list. A further announcement will be made when nominations open, with more information.

The election timescale (all times UTC) is:

Voting closes:
23:59, Wednesday, 22nd September 2010 Voting opens:
00:00, Thursday, 16th September 2010 Hust ings Nominations close:
23:59, Wednesday, 8th September 2010 Nominations open:
00:00, Thursday, 26th August 2010 How's it work?

The election is a "single transferrable vote". Each member of maemo.org, who has had an account for over 3 months and earned over 10 "karma" points, gets a ballot. They rank their candidates in order of preference; if their top candidate cannot get elected with the votes they receive, the votes are redistributed until all five seats have been allocated.

Anyone who has karma of over 100 is eligible to stand, including employees and sub-contractors of Nokia.

Link: Original article.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-08-23 at 05:30.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to CommunityCouncil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
It would be nice to hear from the current council some thoughs about the upcoming term. Sort of heads up for people interested in running for the council and those of us who are interested in the community's future. What do you see happening during the next council's term? Do we pull the plug, continue doing the same thing with a slightly different context or something completely different?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
It would be nice to hear from the current council some thoughs about the upcoming term. Sort of heads up for people interested in running for the council and those of us who are interested in the community's future. What do you see happening during the next council's term? Do we pull the plug, continue doing the same thing with a slightly different context or something completely different?
IMHO, and I'll say this if I run again, we're still not clear how viable MeeGo-Harmattan HE will be as a day-to-day OS for the N900. This is the main determinant factor in the future of maemo.org.

To paraphrase a sci-fi programme, the question we don't ask ourselves is why we deserve to survive. The contributions from the wider community on MohammadAG's community SSU project will be telling there.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Hmmm. The last few times I've tried to explain my position there I got flamed...

But I'll give it a shot.

I was taken to task for saying this would be an important term when I last ran and then recently saying we (although I should have said "I") knew it could likely be a "lame duck" term as well. I want to make clear that I held both thoughts concurrently before the last election and had indeed expressed some doubt over the council's continuation at the time. With that said, my goal was to work with the other 4 and find ways of keeping a lame duck situation from occurring. I think we were largely successful, as Jaffa has highlighted.

However, my crystal ball continues to fail. I do see a need for the council, particularly around getting Maemo opened as much as possible. But predicting the Nokia side of things has been a crap shoot.

I think the next batch of representatives need to be stubborn but open-minded. I think they'll need to pick their battles wisely. They should also communicate early to explain their individual thoughts on the council's purpose and come to a consensus on how to speak and act as a group. And to address opening Maemo, they'll need to be equal parts deep-tech guru and diplomat. We'll need people who understand the intricacies involved in opening Maemo further and who can communicate plans and possibilities clearly to Nokia. To that extent, I would certainly like to see any of the other 4 run again.

I will skip the next term as promised. However, unless something interferes, I will continue here as a moderator and will support the next council 100% in any way I can.

Just vote!

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-08-23 at 06:45.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
IMHO, and I'll say this if I run again, we're still not clear how viable MeeGo-Harmattan HE will be as a day-to-day OS for the N900. This is the main determinant factor in the future of maemo.org.
Even if it is, not everyone will want to switch from Fremantle, plus there are 4 more Maemo devices which won't have that option. Some continuation of maemo.org will still be very much needed IMHO.

One very important question is how much longer Nokia is willing to fund hosting, *-masters (already two down) etc, and what happens after that.

To paraphrase a sci-fi programme, the question we don't ask ourselves is why we deserve to survive. The contributions from the wider community on MohammadAG's community SSU project will be telling there.
If the Diablo version is any indication, prepare for disappointment :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Even if it is, not everyone will want to switch from Fremantle, plus there are 4 more Maemo devices which won't have that option. Some continuation of maemo.org will still be very much needed IMHO.
I think I agree, but there might not be much of a community apart from an enthusiasts club for increasingly out-of-date and underpowered hardware (as an ex-Acorn and ex-Psion user, I know these types of community well!) :-(

One very important question is how much longer Nokia is willing to fund hosting, *-masters (already two down) etc, and what happens after that.
Indeed, after the last six months - and the failure to complete many of the brainstorm items (which was supposed to put maemo.org in a position more easily maintainable), I wouldn't hold my breath. I suspect the bill paying will continue, but actual paid-for effort will decrease.

If the Diablo version is any indication, prepare for disappointment :-(
I'm hopeful that since the Fremantle one is starting up earlier, and the MeeGo device is so different & so far away, we'll see both the community providing patches and Nokia engineers - who might have had changes they've wanted to do for ages - getting involved.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I think I agree, but there might not be much of a community apart from an enthusiasts club for increasingly out-of-date and underpowered hardware (as an ex-Acorn and ex-Psion user, I know these types of community well!) :-(
Well, underpowered or not, we are not luddites clinging to our N8x0s by choice. If Nokia (or any company really) wants us to part with several hundred $CURRENCY for an upgrade all they have to do is make one.

Indeed, after the last six months - and the failure to complete many of the brainstorm items (which was supposed to put maemo.org in a position more easily maintainable), I wouldn't hold my breath. I suspect the bill paying will continue, but actual paid-for effort will decrease.
I think that's something the next council should chase up and confirm. If boxes are going to go away (which in itself is understandable and fine) we should know well in advance in order to salvage data and make alternative hosting arrangements etc.

I'm hopeful that since the Fremantle one is starting up earlier, and the MeeGo device is so different & so far away
Starting early is definitely a plus. For Diablo there were many strong indications that another update was coming (eg bugs getting resolved FIXED) while there was never a clear EOL statement (to this day!) and so about a year was wasted completely unnecessarily :-(

As for the "so far away", weren't the MeeGo conference dates picked to ensure device availability?

we'll see both the community providing patches and Nokia engineers - who might have had changes they've wanted to do for ages - getting involved.
Amen!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I think that's something the next council should chase up and confirm. If boxes are going to go away (which in itself is understandable and fine) we should know well in advance in order to salvage data and make alternative hosting arrangements etc.
We currently have a commitment to maintain the infrastructure, and maintenance of it, for the foreseeable future.

As for the "so far away", weren't the MeeGo conference dates picked to ensure device availability?
True, but a lot of people think it took a long time for the N900 to go from announcement (in September last year) to general availability.

Originally Posted by CommunityCouncil View Post
Nominations open:
00:00, Thursday, 26th August 2010
Now open: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61207

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The deadline is approaching and so far only one candidate has declared.

This is of course an uncertain time for Maemo so I understand why many would be reluctant to bother. However, there's still some life in Maemo and a great need for improved migration process to MeeGo, therefore a need for at least one more council (and hopefully more).

There are numerous people deserving nominations IMO. In addition to my colleagues on the current council, the following immediately come to mind listed in no particular order:

epage
fatalsaint
sjgadsby
yerga
pycage
anidel
zerojay
revdkathy
flandry
timoph
SD69

There are also some from previous councils I would like to see run:

* timsamoff
vdvsx
qole
gcobb

I will not stand for more than 2 terms in a row, but I hope others on the current council will run again. My apologies to those I have omitted; no slight intended. I will make some formal nominations from the lists above later.

* timsamoff nominated himself after I posted this

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-09-07 at 17:25.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: