Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Hi,

Are any of you keeping your MeeGo Harmattan-powered Nokia N9 instead of getting a Jolla phone and why?

I want to know because I'm curious to why some of you might have taken this choice

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
I still use my n950. It has three killer features which should have my next phone and that is power saving mode, I simply don't want wifi scanning during day time, maps and drive, offline maps is a must because I travel often between netherlands and germany, sip calls from addressbook.
Don't know whether these are in sailfish os currently, only found requests and WIP reports.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to koos For This Useful Post:
I still use N9. Jolla has crappy HW, too big dimensions, and I don't like UI.
Hope to get 3d-party hw with Sailfish on top or jolla2 if it's gon be good.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I feel Jolla's hardware is a downgrade to N9/N950 (apart from CPU being better), overall build quality, screen, camera is worse than N9.

On OS side, I still prefer MeeGo Harmattan's looking and UI. Although Sailfish is being good but not as easy as MeeGo's Swipe. And I love the way Maemo/MeeGo intergrates sip and skype to the system.

I love Jolla's being able to sideload apk though,

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 579 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Požega, Croatia
For me advantages N9 has over Jolla would: be OLED screen (with LPM), better camera (IMHO) and fully functional NFC. I can't comment on build quality of Jolla, but N9 is really good in that regard. As for size for me N9 is just about right, but I doubt that Jolla bigger size makes it less functional.

The main reasons I still haven't made the switch to Jolla would be that somehow N9 still is quite usable, and when N9 was introduced I felt like it's more advanced that the iPhone (or other phones) of the era - something one can't say about Jolla.

Still Jolla is the way to go (their SW development is really unlike - which is a huge advantage in my book). I just wish they would either score big contract with some HW manufacturer to use their OS, or go all in and introduce new device themselves (Jolla 2 anyone?) Either way we would then be unable to complain about missing this/that feature in hardware.Till then - my N9 got new battery and is still going strong.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to filip.pz For This Useful Post:
and jolla hates some of us

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
I'm keeping both. N9 is still my personal phone, and I got Jolla as my work phone.

Both have their good features. Many have already mentioned many of N9's advantages over Jolla, and I agree with most of them.

I have Jolla because at least it has a possibility for future, and I like it a lot even though N9 is better in some aspects. So I want to support Jolla with my little contribution. Also pre-ordered the tablet and hope the best of success to them.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
As far as I can tell, N900 stil rules them all

Next comes N950 followed closely by N9.
Both of them have advantages/disadvantages.

Then comes Jolla (never seen a SIM).
It looks like it will definitely not make it the way to my primary (yet).
There is so much missing and lots of flaws (getting better) compared to a 5 years older device. Both hardware wise as software wise.
I expected way more but do understand where the team came from and the way they need to go...

So in short Jolla could be the future but not yet for me.
At the same time we need to see N9/x0 will die anytime sooner/later.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Not much point for me to get a Jolla, since their hardware does not support the 3G/4G bands in my country.

I would consider trying Sailfish ported to another device, if/when a port becomes polished enough (i.e., "when everything more or less works").

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
N9 is sexiest phone ever that had touch the face of earth, simple as that.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to youFailed For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone, nokia n9