Notices

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Russia, Moscow
I've tested 0.0.8 and it work fine for me except that when I close the application in "blacklist mode" and reopen it I see "Delete selected" button where "Blacklist" normally is - after switching modes "Blacklist" button is back again.
Not a big deal but it may be confusing.

I heard cp1252 is what they use in Ukraine.

I wonder why I have ~40 English words in my Russian dictionary - could they get there if I switch layout too fast?

Also I noticed 2 words that I couldn't look up anywhere in my dictionaries but they show up in auto-complete in some applications (I've tried Notes and Email and I even rebooted). Shall you need my dictionary file just tell me and I'll send it too you with detailed description

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
I've tested 0.0.8 and it work fine for me except that when I close the application in "blacklist mode" and reopen it I see "Delete selected" button where "Blacklist" normally is - after switching modes "Blacklist" button is back again.
Not a big deal but it may be confusing.
That's odd - I'll have a look into that one - it must be failing to either save or load the setting.

I heard cp1252 is what they use in Ukraine.
It's the standard Windows codepage for English (and possibly most of Western Europe) - or was, I think they've switched to unicode now (as every sensible system has).

I wonder why I have ~40 English words in my Russian dictionary - could they get there if I switch layout too fast?
The dictionary will store whatever words are written - switching the keyboard layout doesn't (I think) switch the dictionary used automatically. Certainly I can select to use any dictionary without changing the keyboard layout/system language.

Also I noticed 2 words that I couldn't look up anywhere in my dictionaries but they show up in auto-complete in some applications (I've tried Notes and Email and I even rebooted). Shall you need my dictionary file just tell me and I'll send it too you with detailed description
Are these definitely user-added words - they aren't coming from the system dictionary?

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
It's the standard Windows codepage for English (and possibly most of Western Europe) - or was, I think they've switched to unicode now (as every sensible system has).
Oh, I see now.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Are these definitely user-added words - they aren't coming from the system dictionary?
I'm sure they are mine, one of them is misspelled and the other is correct variant. I found both words in my '.used.dictionary' file. Any ideas?

Last edited by Oleg; 2010-07-01 at 06:39.

I'm sure they are mine, one of them is misspelled and the other is correct variant. I found both words in my '.used.dictionary' file. Any ideas?
I've pretty much ignored that file - it looked to only store information on the history of usage of system dictionary terms (so it can offer the most recently used ones first when auto-completing). I'll take another look, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to store the information in two separate files (though using random codepages to store the words doesn't make much sense either, so it's not as though Nokia were striving for common-sense solutions).

I've just released version 0.0.9

Changes are:
  • Fix label shown on Delete/Blacklist button
  • Handle dictionary files with truncated last entry
  • Allow override of codepage used for character encoding
  • Better error handling

Dictionaries with a truncated last entry (usually due to the hildon-input-method being killed while writing) will load with a warning, and the last (incomplete) entry will be dropped.

Failure to decode dictionary entries no longer causes the application to exit, instead it starts with no dictionary data loaded. You can then alter the character encoding (via the Settings menu) until you find one that will allow the file to load (see here for a description of what each encoding is likely to be used for). You can change the encoding at any point, but this will discard any unsaved changes, and saving the dictionary with an incorrect codepage is likely to cause issues with the auto-complete functionality.

EDIT:
Version 0.0.10 released as well. I just realised that the apply-blacklist functionality wouldn't work as it wasn't restarting hildon-input-method. I've moved the relevant bit of code so it's called whenever the dictionary is written.

Last edited by Rob1n; 2010-07-01 at 13:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Default encoding doesn't work for Russian language and there is no cp1251 in the list...

The Following User Says Thank You to Oleg For This Useful Post:
Default encoding doesn't work for Russian language and there is no cp1251 in the list...
Aargh - sorry, I must have removed that override. I'll get a new version out ASAP (as soon as my home network connection starts working reliably anyway).

EDIT: New version (0.0.11) uploaded, so should be out soon. It re-adds the CP1251 default for Russian, and also adds the standard selection of Windows codepages to the selector.

Last edited by Rob1n; 2010-07-02 at 12:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Version 0.0.12 has just been uploaded.

It's now using gconf to disable auto-completion before reading the dictionary, and re-enable it afterwards (it is was enabled in the first place). This forces the cached data to be flushed and makes sure any newly added words show up. This disable/enable process is also done when writing the dictionary, forcing the system to re-load the dictionary after it's been written (and preventing the need to kill hildon-input-method).

I've also found where the language names are defined, so I'm now reading them in from there instead of having them hardcoded. Unfortunately I've still not found anything mapping the language IDs used in the dictionary file to something useful, so there's still some hardcoded data.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
AutoComplete Editor is working great.

Just a minor annoyance. After pressing the 'save' button, the icon that indicates that there is an operation in progress (an spinning star in the Hildon menu) never stop so the user can think that the save operation is hung.