Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@r0kk3rz - please correct me, but it seems that https://github.com/r0kk3rz/harbour-matrix is Matrix client which is in the best shape at this moment.

While you seem not to be keen in publishing at OpenRepos at this stage, would you mind if we start collecting issues at your repository? So, when something gets annoying enough, we can all chip in and fix few things.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
fork it it it it it it the matrix @rinigus and take my money.

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-12-05 at 23:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by carlosgonz View Post
fork it it it it it it the matrix @rinigus and take my money.
fork as a part of contributing, maybe. but I have other projects that have to be maintained ....

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
@r0kk3rz - please correct me, but it seems that https://github.com/r0kk3rz/harbour-matrix is Matrix client which is in the best shape at this moment.

While you seem not to be keen in publishing at OpenRepos at this stage, would you mind if we start collecting issues at your repository? So, when something gets annoying enough, we can all chip in and fix few things.
I haven't had the time to do anything with it recently, but it looks like Alexey might be sending some more PRs my way.

I should create some issues on github myself with the current status of various things that people commonly ask about, and i'm happy for others to do so.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
It's great to see things moving again. Thanks a million r0kk3rz, Alexey and rinigus! You rock! :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dubliner For This Useful Post:
@rinigus, I just noticed the issues you submitted here: https://github.com/r0kk3rz/harbour-matrix/issues

What a relief. I also found it a little unsettling at first when my messages wouldn't show up. Thanks for clearing that up.

By the way, I've been using the client for a few days now. It really has a lot of potential. Can't wait to see it making progress.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dubliner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
i already forget to a good matrix client, its more healthy : /

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-12-11 at 18:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
As aspergerguy already noticed elsewhere, I tend to be somewhat late on many occasions. So, pardon me if the following idea is outdated or downright silly.

I just came across a report on Matrix "experiments" involving Ubports (I realize I might just have said "Jehova" ) and nheko at this URL. To my deepest regret, I am a complete ignoramus , but couldn't this serve as a recipe to port nheko to Sailfish?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dubliner For This Useful Post:
I was listening to the Ubuntu Touch Audiocast in my car yesterday (https://ubports.com/blog/ubports-blo...krillekast-189). And they featured an interview with Christian Pauly (aka Krille) who recently released a Matrix client named FluffyChat for ubports (https://github.com/ChristianPauly/fluffychat).

This made me think about that point in history a long time ago when Sailfish, Ubuntu Touch, FirefoxOS and WebOS (don't know for sure if that one was still around?) were advertised as the bright future of Linux on the phone. One thing I remember in particular. Someone commented that application development would be pure bliss as QML code would natively run on all of these devices (if memory serves me right). Develop once, run everywhere. A fantasy? For real? Who knows?

Again, being a total ignoramus, I wonder how much of an effort porting FluffyChat (a native QML app) to Sailfish might be?

While I dearly hope for r0kk3rz' Matrix client to flourish, I was thinking there might be some code that could be adapted, thereby saving some of the effort.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dubliner For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dubliner View Post
Again, being a total ignoramus, I wonder how much of an effort porting FluffyChat (a native QML app) to Sailfish might be?
The issue is with things like Qt versions, component sets, and system APIs.

Ubuntu uses a newer Qt framework version than sailfish does, and so not all APIs are available that might be used in any given ubuntu touch application.

The next thing is component sets, apps are typically built with the native component set and in the case of Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish they are quite different and so chunks of the UI might need to be completely designed if you want a native look and feel.

Then there's some more platform specific stuff like multitasking, notifications, power management, that work differently on Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish that you will need to take into account if you want the app to work well.

From what I can see, the *real* issue isn't the work required, but its people with the skills giving time and effort that is currently somewhat lacking in the Sailfish Community right now.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post: