Notices

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Hi,

there is a package called AdBlock Plus in the Extras repository. Regarding to the "rules" of publishing software to maemo-extras repository there are some things which should work before this package should be available in extras:
  • Lack of bug reporting database: The maintainers of this application should ask for a section in bugs.maemo.org. We also should discuss what ios the right are in bugs.maemo.org for this: Maemo Official Applications -> Browser or Extras -> AdBlock Plus?
  • It simply does not work for some people and me. And after installing it from the extras repository it should work
  • I also think the package description sounds a little bit weird: "Will require a reboot or two before it will work." sounds like: "This application works but we don't know exactly why.
I thinks we can find more issues why it's not ready for end users but these points are the biggest ones (in my opinion).

Until these things are done it should not be available in maemo extras. What do you think?

Btw. I really would love to use this plugin. But I don't want to rename directories or have non-working buttons.

Ciao jukey

Me on twitter

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
No need to remove it or rename any directories...

1) Install adblock and openssh from the app manager.

2) SFTP into your phone and copy patterns.ini from a working PC to your phone (~/.mozilla/microb/adblockplus/patterns.ini) (this part may be optional as the package comes with a small, default patterns.ini)

3) Edit the ~/.mozilla/microb/prefs.js file and set "extensions.adblockplus.enabled" to true and add {d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}:1.0.2, to "extensions.enabledItems".

4) Issue "killall browser browserd" from an Xterminal.

5) Start browsing! Ad free!

Granted, the package could be improved to automate some of these steps. Contact the packager.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mooninite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Turin, Italy
Well... this is not exactly easy for the end user... I agree with jukey

PS: I don't use this extension

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I don't think your workaround does anything but prove the OP's point...

I actually ended up removing adblock. It worked for me but seemed to make my browser a little funky. Hangs/slowdowns/crashes

Last edited by sadfist; 2009-12-11 at 15:20.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
I don't think your workaround does anything but prove the OP's point...

I actually ended up removing adblock. It worked for me but seemed to make my browser a little funky. Hangs/slowdowns/crashes
Read my full post please. Contact the package maintainer. Complaining in this thread will do absolutely nothing.

Your account of "hangs/slowdowns" has nothing to do with Adblock. Please don't pollute this thread with misinformation.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
It does look like is having some blockers: http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...1.0/1maemo0-8/

Please contact the maintainer.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
I wrote an email to Jason (the maintainer of this package).

Me on twitter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
There's no need to do anything except restart the browser once or maybe twice. There's already a patterns.ini file in there that works perfectly fine for me and many others, which is how it got into extras to begin with.

Microb has some sort of bug in it that causes plugins to not immediately be recognized and it goes back to Nokia's official versions of these plugins that were released for OS2008. That's why the browser restart is needed, but for some reason, it doesn't always take right away. This isn't my fault and there's nothing I can do about it.

Other than that, the plugin works and has always worked fine for me and most of the community.

The person that posted that it was not optified made a mistake and wanted to take back what he said as you can see in his comments.

As far as I'm concerned, there aren't any blockers with the package. Even Andre, Tim and other big names in the community thumbed it up and if anyone is going to catch any real issues, it's those guys.

By the way, if you want to know why there isn't a section for Adblock in Bugzilla, it's because I was told no when I asked.

I'd like to go back to working on it, but since my N900 is broken and I still haven't received a response from Nokia...

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-12-11 at 18:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
No need to remove it or rename any directories...

1) Install adblock and openssh from the app manager.

2) SFTP into your phone and copy patterns.ini from a working PC to your phone (~/.mozilla/microb/adblockplus/patterns.ini) (this part may be optional as the package comes with a small, default patterns.ini)

3) Edit the ~/.mozilla/microb/prefs.js file and set "extensions.adblockplus.enabled" to true and add {d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}:1.0.2, to "extensions.enabledItems".

4) Issue "killall browser browserd" from an Xterminal.

5) Start browsing! Ad free!

Granted, the package could be improved to automate some of these steps. Contact the packager.
None of this is needed because this is exactly what the plugin already does, except that it provides its own patterns.ini file so you don't need to import anything. It is a workaround for the fact that Adblock wasn't installable any other way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
AdBlock plus has worked great for me on our development loaner, and my personal n900. I don't recall how many reboots/restarts were necessary.

It's one of the packages I tout as an example of the general ecosystem represented by and surrounding the n900, and why such a device is so much better than the alternatives (for my dev/geek/poweruser friends anyway)

Thanks much for repackaging it for maemo5

The Following User Says Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post: