After using my girlfriends N8 for a few days I see symbian is still clunky and unintuitive. Doesn't hold up against my bro's HTC G2. That said I don't think nokia should go the android route.I think a better option would be to replace symbian with a more closed version of maemo/meego suitable for the masses.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Nokia's target consumers are on GSM networks, plus Nokia owns the patents for GSM not CDMA. Apple is going CDMA with the eventual intention of selling CDMA/GSM dual chipset iPhones in China where Google wants no part of.
I don't think there is a split like that. Nokia championed several world-phones, and the pentaband N8 (and it's recent siblings) only strenghten that trend.

Originally Posted by Dami View Post
After using my girlfriends N8 for a few days I see symbian is still clunky and unintuitive. Doesn't hold up against my bro's HTC G2. That said I don't think nokia should go the android route.I think a better option would be to replace symbian with a more closed version of maemo/meego suitable for the masses.
I would have to underline that this 'masses' thing has nothing to with openness. If anything, it's the open parts of Maemo that are still alive and not the, errm, high quality closed ones.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
But I'm really hypothesizing on the future, if Meego stumbles and falls the way Maemo did.
Maemo didn't fail nor did it stumble and fall. It was a testing balloon and never intended to be more than that. That's why Nokia didn't put too many resources behind it, and that's why it didn't take off. It was never intended to take off (Maemo6 was, but that got renamed MeeGo).
As a testing balloon the whole Maemo series since the Nokia 770 was highly successful, though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
SOFTWARE SUPPORT.
thats 1 big thing. nokia just abandoned maemo, with all this bug still on it.
just, what the hell? maemo is awesome i love it, its the reason how i started to use ubuntu (which is gorgeous by the way)

for example,
notice tearing on our screens in maemo then test your nitdroid, that **** scrolls like butter.
those little things count, SOFTWARE SUPPORT.

nokia could go with android but that would take away from nokia's own phone, own OS strategy. which obviously alot of kids here are used to.
honestly i dont think nokia is cut out for this huge smartphone, high end, expensive, all the bells and whistles, carpet matching drapes stuff.

UNTIL THEY DO BETTER WITH SOFTWARE SUPPORT.

Last edited by bulelet; 2011-02-02 at 11:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to bulelet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Maemo didn't fail nor did it stumble and fall. It was a testing balloon and never intended to be more than that. That's why Nokia didn't put too many resources behind it, and that's why it didn't take off. It was never intended to take off (Maemo6 was, but that got renamed MeeGo).
As a testing balloon the whole Maemo series since the Nokia 770 was highly successful, though.
I didn't mean that Maemo was a 'failure' but from a revenue point of view, it didn't take off. I'm sure Nokia had high hopes for it (just look at the old Maemo marketing web pages that are still up, and remember the hype before the N900 release) - I don't believe it was created and released as an experiment just for Linux geeks. Perhaps with some serious promotion from T-Mobile it could've really done well in terms of sales. In the US, how can a phone sell well without that carrier support, it just can't.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I didn't mean that Maemo was a 'failure' but from a revenue point of view, it didn't take off. I'm sure Nokia had high hopes for it (just look at the old Maemo marketing web pages that are still up, and remember the hype before the N900 release) - I don't believe it was created and released as an experiment just for Linux geeks. Perhaps with some serious promotion from T-Mobile it could've really done well in terms of sales. In the US, how can a phone sell well without that carrier support, it just can't.
Maemo was never meant to "take off" until step 5 which is (now) MeeGo.

MeeGo has a huge push and much larger teams and resources behind it. Nokia didn't put any real marketing behind the N900. Not even a single tv ad. MeeGo will be very different and I'm sure devices will be sold on US carriers.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
So here's the question: knowing that Android is doing so well out there, what is so wrong with having maybe just one, top-end Nokia handset released with Android?
because it would get in the way of Nokia providing a more open mobile ecosystem away from the walled-garden/ad-platform temptations of Android.

long answer here:
http://jedibeeftrix.wordpress.com/20...-tablet-phone/

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Maemo was never meant to "take off" until step 5 which is (now) MeeGo.

MeeGo has a huge push and much larger teams and resources behind it. Nokia didn't put any real marketing behind the N900. Not even a single tv ad. MeeGo will be very different and I'm sure devices will be sold on US carriers.
Yes, MeeGo has not one, but two huge corporations behind it, and my ultimate hope is that MeeGo succeeds and wipes the floor with everything else out there. A gorgeous UI, top-quality, open, OS with plenty of nods to its predecessor Maemo5, some TV ads and carriers behind it, Nokia could break through the stuffy US market once and for all.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I'm not going to by a Google-integrated device by any means.

I have nothing against Android, i actually prefer it over any other OS out just now. Problem is that Android is everywhere and so many great companies are already making phones for it, why would i want Nokia to make Android phones?
Android can be improved hugely, you could say it's kind of next generation of Symbian in 2007. WP7 while feel of the UI is great and i applaud Microsoft for trying something different i don't like the closed up WP7 and i'm certainly not the twitter, facebook kind of market it tries to be in.
IOS imo is the more functional WP7 and not too bad actually, but like the community around Android so much more and i want more functions on the core UI.

Nokia's MeeGo got some real possibility of being something a bit different like WP7 and same kind of ecosystem wild west as Maemo and Android got with hint of sense thrown there. That what i would absolutely buy in a heart beat.

Tags
fanboyism, just say no, to android, to drugs