Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You just named a lot of reasons I went Android... biggest of which is Flash Player 10.3 - I'm an Adobe Flex Dev... can't view what I build, no use to me. Same for Adobe AIR 2.6. I need both.

People are getting freedom on the N900 confused with it's the ultimate platform. It's now a solid 18 months behind in a lot of technology. Sure, I can remote admin the ever-living daylights out of any Linux based server with it; but outside of that there is a lack of social apps, updates and features that are important to less developer types that are actually connected to other less developer types.

Being a geek is a polarizing situation; just as polarizing as owning the N900. Either you embrace it fully or you run the risk of angry *** folks flaming the living hell out of you because you disagree with them.

I just don't care what folks say. My happiness dictates what I buy and keep.

Good luck with your SGS2.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Germany ...
Android - the Teletubbie OS with 99.999 screensaver apps - best phone for the business man today. You cant compare a real OS with such a joke OS like Android ... Play with you Teletubbie OS, look pptx with hdmi - and I say to me: Dont feed the trolls.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaelxy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaelxy View Post
android - the teletubbie os with 99.999 screensaver apps - best phone for the business man today. You cant compare a real os with such a joke os like android ... Play with you teletubbie os, look pptx with hdmi - and i say to me: Dont feed the trolls.
nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You just named a lot of reasons I went Android... biggest of which is Flash Player 10.3 - I'm an Adobe Flex Dev... can't view what I build, no use to me. Same for Adobe AIR 2.6. I need both.
... what follows if offtopic..

As a Flex dev, you should really check out Java these days (if you haven't already). Some impressive things going on, and it shouldn't be much of a transition given the similarities between AS3 and Java.

I've dabbled in a bit of edge AS3 a few years back. I really liked the language. Since Java is so close, my thought process is, you may be able to design your apps to be easily translatable with a bit of wrapper code, and target so many more environments than AIR alone supports (eg. Android, Linux, Windows).

Then again, AIR supports those platforms, so the benefit would be likely minimal. But Java is really fast, has a very rich development community, tons of APIs, and great OSS support. It may be worth checking out.

Google GWT also compiles java into web-page-executable JS, which is a very nice feature for new HTML5 apps.

I remember hating the idea of Java, but it was unfounded. The re-discovery has me positively delighted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Been hunting high and low and have yet to find an RDP app on android that is as easy as on the N900.

There are positives and negatives and no one can create the perfect platform.

I have only been looking for apps that will fulfill a particular use and not bothering with the 'fart' apps of which there are tons also. I'm in a transition phase which is never straight forward.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
I'm just curious how much Galaxy S 2 costs?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

I got it for £510 but I took out a contract which came free with a HTC Sensation which I sold for £550.

The Following User Says Thank You to inzimam For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I've tried, but hate Java. They came to my university before it was even a 1.0 product, and it's been always there, but I'm just not a fan. As it stands, it's not a bad language, reminds me of C# moreso than AS3 in most instances - but with AS3 I have a lot of experience and use of it in what I do.

Anyway, I'll try not to derail this convo any further with my off-topic stuff. Cool chatting with you per usual.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nice move inzimam.

I'm also planning to do the same; sell my pristine condition Galaxy S. I'd have to rely on the N900 again until I can grab the phone I want (Galaxy SII Pro, Milestone3, Nokia N9).

It looks like it will be whichever releases first since my SGS is losing value every-freaking-day!

P.S. I wouldn't have to do any of this $#!7 if the EPIC 4G had GSM and a supported 3G for my carrier.

I also upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S2 last week, but my experience has been less than satisfactory. So much so I'll be calling Vodafone support tomorrow to request a return.

The first problem I have is connecting it to my Wi-Fi network. Although the strength shows as excellent, connecting is extremely intermittent, with the signal constantly dropping out and getting stuck in a "scanning... identifying ip address.. disabled wi-fi" loop. Hard reset sometimes brings it back. Googling shows it's a fairly common problem, and was also a problem with the original S that was partially solved with updated drivers. I have no problems connecting any other device to my wireless network including a Xbox 360, 3 laptops, 2 netbooks, a HP printer, a VOIP handset, a N95, and the N900.

The second problem is what seems to be a poor mobile network radio, which has problems staying connected to a 3 or 3.5G signal in my area. Whereas the N900 will show a constant 3.5G, the Samsung Galaxy S2 will latch onto speeds of 3G ..3.5G .. but mostly 2G.

The above two issues were so poor it made me think there must be something in the house interfering with the signal reception. Ive switched everything else off (and even took it up to the field behind the house to test if I could get a steady 3G signal) but there was no improvement.

The third problem I have about the handset is the camera. We've been spoiled using handsets with Carl Zeiss optics, you forget how bad the photographs taken on most cell phones actually are.

The first two problems are deal breakers for me, so I'll be advising Vodafone I'll be expecting a replacement or I'll be returning the handset as unfit for my needs.

Positives are that it's very quick, there are much more complete phone functions available than on the N900, and there are lots of great apps and games available on the android market. And taking the back off and on is not as scary as made out. In fact it's very similar to how you do it on the N900, you grip with the finger nail and 'rip' it off.

I received a limited edition Pirates of the Caribbean boxset which was a cardboard treasure chest including the usual black Galaxy S2 package and DVDs of the films underneath, here's some pics of the unboxing

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-05-29 at 03:59.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, fight!, who gives a fok, woohoo