Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mkstevo View Post
I'll be happy to admit that my knowledge of Linux is no more than 0.1%...of nothing !
Maybe but you're obviously motivated and intelligent.

I'm sad that dosbox 0.65 was buggy. It was real stable here. Thanks for mentioning your OS. My only problems with dosbox were on it2007he. (hacker edition). Can you write an email to the psion emulator developers asking if they would consider making an open-source/linux version?

Update on the 0.72 build: the dosbox developers gave me a video mode testing app, and i could identify vga/ega modes that were causing problems. Not all of them do.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Can you write an email to the psion emulator developers asking if they would consider making an open-source/linux version?
Psion themselves no longer exist , they eventually morphed into Symbian so I don't think this has any chance , if I even knew who to email .

I hope I did not imply that you were to blame for DosBox not working . The Psion emulator was notorious for not working , even on the targeted hardware . It needed very specific hardware , and would often only work on certain DOS versions , with certain system parameters set .

The fact that Boch runs slowly is not such a problem as you might think , the original Psion Series 3a used an 8088 processor running at 8Mhz , hardly cutting edge . The main limitation I now have is the keyboard , and as I stated previously , I think this may ultimately halt any practical use of the system .

I'll keep trying as and when inspiration strikes .

Many thanks for your kind help .

Last edited by mkstevo; 2007-09-25 at 18:13.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Sweden
Hello, I'm using dosbox 0.65 and tryed to run a few dos games like civilization, the game seem to run fine except for two things. One is that the mouse pointer is missplaced, seems like it missplaces the same pixels as the width of n800's startmenu and top menu. Is there some easy way to solve that?
The other problem might be more complicated, when i run dosbox it can't find an MIDI device. It says "MIDI:Can't find device" I tried alsa,oss and default. Mabye this is not working yet.

But is it possible to get the mouse in the right place?

Great work by the way!! :-)

... By the way, the download link to v0.72 deb is broken. :-/

I pulled 0.72 due to brokenness. 0.65 is better atm.

The dosbox and maemo gurus have been helping me identify and fix bugs with EGA mode introduced into the 0.70 dosbox branch.

DOSBox checks for a MIDI sequencer in /dev and spits out an error if it cant find it. ITOS doesn't have one, but it would be a fun project to add a simple midi sequencer to maemo alsa that runs on DSP. Use dosbox internal soundblaster emulation for midi musit (see dosbox.conf)

Thanks for pointing out the mouse errors. Do they also occur when you run dosbox with the -fullscreen option? (or fullscreen set in dosbox.conf)?

Haha had missed that it did have an fullscreen mode.
Can't try with civilization because now I don't know how to start xkbd should I print "./dosbox -fullscreen|xkbd" it does not work...

in worms it seemes like the pointer gets displaced the other way around (to the left) when in fullscreenmode. Does the mouse work fine for you? Could not try in civilization couse dosbox don't get the signals from xkbd, I probobly start it in the wrong way.. Need the keys to get past the first menus to try the mouse pointer. xkbd works fine in window mode if I start i after dosbox from the menu...

Originally Posted by Tirithen View Post
in worms it seemes like the pointer gets displaced the other way around (to the left) when in fullscreenmode. Does the mouse work fine for you?
Thanks for the feedback! I found a fix for another SDL program so i will look into dosbox SDL mouse to see if i can correct this.

xkbd works fine in window mode if I start i after dosbox from the menu...
Sorry bout that - currently xkbd can't work with any app running in fullscreen mode. Somebody who understands more about X11 will have to take a look into this.

Thanks, would be so glad if the original civilization could work. It's an advanced game and yet it runs without problem on anything with 640kb+ ram.

Wich I knew more about C and how to help modify dosbox but I got stuck in setting up the compile eniornment... Tell me if you want some kind of testing help or something.

Would it not be possible to fast add something afterwards the input value that corrects the pointer position until the real problem gets fixed, it seemed to kind of regulary missplaced...

Would it not be possible to fast add something afterwards the input value that corrects the pointer position until the real problem gets fixed, it seemed to kind of regulary missplaced...
I spent a few minutes looking at this and i think it's impossible. MS-DOS games expect relative mouse movement. There's no way for DOSBox/linux to determine how much relative movement is required to move to an absolute screen position.

Note to self: do not try to set self-imposed deadlines on new releases - pointer alignment problems continue to plague dosbox 0.72.