Posts: 42 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ culpeper,va.
I seen other threads from people working on maemo, is there a road map available or a thread named maemo project or similar to unified the work?

The Following User Says Thank You to geektech For This Useful Post:
Kudos for approaching this task If I had a second N900 I would be trying this right now
Up-to-date libraries (inc. libc)
Up-to-date stable OS
Up-to-date stable packages with a debian package manager

Up-to-date kernel and this would make the device more of a joy

Right now I'm on CSSU-thumb and it's great (specially for the old kernel + libs used) but an overall upgrade would be great for porting more up-to-date applications/kernel modules without too much of an effort (specially because the debian folks do some of it for us)

This would be a great way to keep the system updating, depend on debian

Anyway, I hope I have put my enthusiasm forward enough and just wanted to thank you more actively than just clicking a link

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Just spotted this thread and I would like commend you for starting this project. It's something I would be very interested in using.

Regarding the udev discussions, in case you weren't already aware (it hasn't been mentioned in this thread), udev was forked by the Gentoo guys as eudev with one of the objectives being to reintroduce support for a separate /usr.

A possible solution to get rid the optify mess could be to use a union file system like aufs or OverlayFS over the top of the NAND flash to ensure that further writes to will be written to eMMC flash.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi. I commend you for your efforts. If this succeeds, could it possiblly be ported to another device?

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Just spotted this thread and I would like commend you for starting this project. It's something I would be very interested in using.

Regarding the udev discussions, in case you weren't already aware (it hasn't been mentioned in this thread), udev was forked by the Gentoo guys as eudev with one of the objectives being to reintroduce support for a separate /usr.

A possible solution to get rid the optify mess could be to use a union file system like aufs or OverlayFS over the top of the NAND flash to ensure that further writes to will be written to eMMC flash.
I was thinking along these lines, more specifically about lvm though. Then we could just expand the partitions as much as we needed to.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
If this succeeds, could it possiblly be ported to another device?
Actually this rebasing is almost 'porting debian to N900' (using maemo kernel). When this is done, it makes Maemo5 more worth for porting to another devices. It makes porting just slight easier. E.g. there are some bsd-style-licensed packages which Nokia closed (libjpeg62), and some open source packages, which Nokia bought commercial license and closed. They are free in Debian.

Check roadmap for make maemo5 portable to another devices: http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Actually this rebasing is almost 'porting debian to N900' (using maemo kernel). When this is done, it makes Maemo5 more worth for porting to another devices. It makes porting just slight easier. E.g. there are some bsd-style-licensed packages which Nokia closed (libjpeg62), and some open source packages, which Nokia bought commercial license and closed. They are free in Debian.

Check roadmap for make maemo5 portable to another devices: http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages
and what about upgrading thekernel in the future? would this bring any benefits?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post

Thanks. I was just curious, as I like Maemo5 and it is possible to chroot Debian on android phone it might be interesting to run Maemo5 on top of that. Probably too complicated but fun to try!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
and what about upgrading thekernel in the future? would this bring any benefits?
I was able to boot 3.8 kernel on Maemo. But it has lot of problems: mce, dsme and HAL not working (all daemons run at 100% CPU). seems that in 3.x kernel was upstreamed incompatible HSI/SSI modules for cellular modem. And I needed to hack some init scripts to fix/remove some maemo interfaces... So 3.8 kernel (with a lot of patches) is unusable for Maemo...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by pali View Post
I was able to boot 3.8 kernel on Maemo. But it has lot of problems: mce, dsme and HAL not working (all daemons run at 100% CPU). seems that in 3.x kernel was upstreamed incompatible HSI/SSI modules for cellular modem. And I needed to hack some init scripts to fix/remove some maemo interfaces... So 3.8 kernel (with a lot of patches) is unusable for Maemo...
and what about latest stable 2.x ?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: