Missing drivers. Also in 3.8 are not all drivers upstreamed, see:
http://elinux.org/N900

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
thanks for the link pali, forgot what one was current. overall support is much more complete than when i last checked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
1029 packages from squeeze. And now I started packages from Wheezy (repo opened for it, check opening post).
----
I have problem. Wheezy installs (some) libraries to the
/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/
and
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/

I have then added LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/ and I can use them.

But during debian packaging it is not using LD_LIBRARY_PATH . I tried to tune /scratchbox/compilers/linaro-4.7-2012.07-fremantle-armv7a/gcc.specs
I added
Code:
*link_libgcc:
%D -L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi -L/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/
And for some packages it works, but not all. So I'm thinking this is still wrong way. I have one example: during compiling wget (configure) it runs:

Code:
gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security  -DNO_SSLv2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions  -Wl,-z,relro -L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi conftest.c /usr/lib/libgnutls.so -lgcrypt -lgpg-error -lz
And error is
Code:
/scratchbox/compilers/linaro-4.7-2012.07-fremantle-armv7a/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.7.2/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: warning: libtasn1.so.3, needed by /usr/lib/libgnutls.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
When I then modify line, it found needed libraries:
Code:
gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security  -DNO_SSLv2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions  -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi conftest.c /usr/lib/libgnutls.so -lgcrypt -lgpg-error -lz
What will be the correct (and/or cleanest) way to handle this?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Hmm.. add -Wl,-rpath to gcc.specs?

(disclaimer: untested suggestion)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
1029 packages from squeeze. And now I started packages from Wheezy (repo opened for it, check opening post).
----
I have problem. Wheezy installs (some) libraries to the
/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/
and
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/

I have then added LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/ and I can use them.

But during debian packaging it is not using LD_LIBRARY_PATH .
Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly in /etc/ld.so.conf* files which configure dynamic linker

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
maybe I'm missing something, but why recompile? starting with wheezy debian offers an armhf port (thumb-enabled), which runs just fine on n900... the obvious problems are hardware support in the debian kernel.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wirr For This Useful Post:
el and hf are abi incompatible iirc. closed source components would therefore pose some issues. wheezy should support multiarch but not sure how it would be in terms of data interchange between the two.

edit: explains it a bit better http://www.memetic.org/raspbian-benc...rmel-vs-armhf/

Last edited by Android_808; 2013-05-04 at 12:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
would like to say that I love the idea and effort.
also, by having free maemo we will be able to run it not only on n900 but on any hardware we could find kernel sources. geek phones, nexuses, gta-04 phones, etc.
because hardware dies, so is any n900 will die some day, but ideas - not - and software which is maintained can live in different bodies.

I would like to have a gta-04 tablet with your maemo like system.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norayr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wirr View Post
maybe I'm missing something, but why recompile?
Firstly: We suppose that pure Debian (as it) is not truly working on N900.
Some packages from debian can be installed top of Maemo5 and they will work. But some packages can't be installed, because they depends different version of libraries. And some packages can be installed, but they are not working. I don't have list or numbers how many of them will fail.

-----
Now I'm building packages from Wheezy, so far over 800 packages (check first post). I haven't had spare device to test them on real device and they can't be easily installed via apt-get, because maemo's apt-get is too old for that server. I'm starting device testing on (hopefully) next week,.

Packages are compiled against:
libc6: 2.10.90-maemo1
libglib2.0-0: 2.35.3-0maemo3
libstdc++6: 4.7.2-0+cssu0

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
You might already know about this, but I thought I would mention in case it can help you. Back in 2010 there was a wiki Brainstorm to check what could be done in stead of optification (in those days optification worked very poorly):

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...on_in_the_n900

As we all know, we ended up in optification anyway, but the brainstorm got some good ideas, also the tmo-thread (linked from the Brainstorm) had many interesting ideas. Might be worth a look.

BTW, I think your project is marvelous, and exactly what I wish Maemo/MeeGo was from the start! Imagine if we had had a Debian compatible distro with all the phone specific packages back in 2009! It could have given Android a run for its money! Especially if it was binary compatible with Debian - that would have been a phone with a slick interface where all Debian packages could be installed... This whole convergence bruhaha from Canonical would have been achieved already then! :-)

Anyway, I still want this on my N900!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post: