Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Based on previews and forum posts, there seems to be no general consensus of agreement on:

1. Video playback from files on device. Some pre-reviews say "it plays almost everything we threw at it great" and some say basically the opposite of this.

2. For Flash, some reviews said the N900 played great and had no problem with heavy Flash content and Flash video. A new review at Ubergizmo is as an example of contradiction and says it does not play Flash well and can not even play Youtube very well- just "OK". What??

My non hardware accelerated G1 plays Youtube and Jetflicks (Standard def streaming video site) perfect on wifi or 3G with very good 480X320 quality and sound with no stuttering.

Frankly, some of these pre-reviews make no sense to me. Are they trying to play Flash sites or media with a dozen other apps or web sites running in the background and do not understand this?

It would seem common sense that the N900 should perform better with video than my wimpy G1 and inefficient Android OS, but why all of the contradictions before release?

There are about 100 videos on youtube showing both. Its easy enough to make your own decision. From what I have seen both work just fine, amazingly well really.

also mynokiablog.com has lots
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Dominican Republic
your g1 plays videos from those sites but thats doesnt mean that is playing flash content.

Afaik G1 dont have flash support.

Originally Posted by dammsaint View Post
your g1 plays videos from those sites but thats doesnt mean that is playing flash content.

Afaik G1 dont have flash support.
Point is the review "said" Youtube plays "OK" and not great. I am wondering if some of these previewers have a bunch of apps running at the same time.

Please read the Ubergizmo review. They suggest the N900 is not that good with video or Flash. Polar opposite of other reviews, but some have also mentioned issues. Why the inconsistencies?

I suggest the less favorable reviews are done with multiple apps running at the same time, but would appreciate people that actually have the N900 to state their opinion from a practical perspective (since they have the device).

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Point is the review "said" Youtube plays "OK" and not great. I am wondering if some of these previewers have a bunch of apps running at the same time.

Please read the Ubergizmo review. They suggest the N900 is not that good with video or Flash. Polar opposite of other reviews, but some have also mentioned issues. Why the inconsistencies?

I suggest the less favorable reviews are done with multiple apps running at the same time, but would appreciate people that actually have the N900 to state their opinion from a practical perspective (since they have the device).
This has been asked and answered several times before and I give you the same answer here as the previous threads. Go find the soccer youtube video playing on the n900. It shows the device playing a soccer game on youtube out to a TV. Its so smooth it could be a live match.

Found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryaO9WHaxlo

Last edited by Bratag; 2009-11-02 at 03:23.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
This has been asked and answered several times before and I give you the same answer here as the previous threads. Go find the soccer youtube video playing on the n900. It shows the device playing a soccer game on youtube out to a TV. Its so smooth it could be a live match.

Found it

Thanks. Can you see my point that there appears to be no consistent opinion on this by previewers? It is about 3:2 ratio of favorable, but with th N900 hardware, it should be a slam dunk.

My theory is the good reviews are with just a few intense apps open and the less favorable are due to the previewers lack of appreciation for the impact of too many apps being open.

One point about the Ubergizmo review in regards to the VR chip is I do not think they appreciate that the poly counts are theoretical and the actual power output to poly count curve is probably similar for what these type of chipsets will produce (at 65nm).

Well yes I can see your point - but I can also draw my own conclusions by watching real time video (and that was a prototype device - even before the 300) I can see from that video that it plays just fine.

I seen every reviews and i am absolutely certain that the reason some Youtube videos are not playing smoothly is due to 2 things. The reviewer got bad internet connection at the time they did the review or Youtube server is slow and therefore displaying video lag.

I agree that it is obvious the N900 should be fine with Flash and video, but still surprised some tech sites may not consider the actual environment of their tests (what apps are running, internet connection speed to content, etc).

My topic was rhetorical rather than intending to assert a problem.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post

Found it

I wouldn't call that perfect though. It's clearly choppy in some places. Especially in the beginning but also later on in the video. Take an example. It jumps a little at 2:04 where the goalie walks and the camera pans along.

here's the soccer video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_TEd1CG5Ts

no jump at that spot (0:31) on my computer. So " "OK" and not great " is pretty accurate imo. That said, it's a pre-release, so it's a preview, not a review.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.