Active Topics

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
The answer is unpleasent.
AFAIK the Nintendo 3ds has a similar setup (as did the 2ds)

Someone (with massive resources) already tried it in 2011 and was burned by the market. Kyocera hit the wall with Echo concept because android was not easy to adapt to second screen and it brought near zero advantage because few software ever supported it...
Maybe they should have tried MeeGo then

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
And I can see why. With no tactile bumps, the second screen is not a dedicated keyboard. It is just that, a second screen. As far as typing, it does not provide anything extra that a larger single screen would not. With all the disadvantages of no support for two screens that you mention.

No, what I had in mind is a keyboard with software reconfigurable key labels. The fact that it is done by hiding a screen under transparent pads is a technical detail that the users would not need to know or care about.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
The Sony tablet P had two screens too. https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-tablet-p/review/

I don't it was a commercial success ..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Some good heads up: I've been pushing really hard for the progress left over last month. We will have resources back again and carry on with the work.

Again this is a good experience for me to know how to work with Jolla and plan ahead for future products.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I used to own a Docomo NEC Medias W dual screen and a Sony Tablet P. Really loved the dual screen design. The issue was all about software - how to optimise for dual screen and tune UI slightly. Un-optimised is very likely to have UI elements in the middle and split into two screens...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Some good heads up: I've been pushing really hard for the progress left over last month. We will have resources back again and carry on with the work.

Again this is a good experience for me to know how to work with Jolla and plan ahead for future products.
Good to hear. Looking forward to that future product of yours. Especially if it has a real qwerty

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
[*snip*]
No, what I had in mind is a keyboard with software reconfigurable key labels. The fact that it is done by hiding a screen under transparent pads is a technical detail that the users would not need to know or care about.
You mean something like this:
US20120127000 A1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
@chenliangchen I already have a Jolla tablet, and I'd like to help your project by pointing out two things that I think you should consider fixing in your own product:

1. The Jolla tablet is made of a very bad quality plastic. I keep my Jolla tablet in a sleeve and hardly use it these days, but the plastic is still deteriorating. The build quality is poor: the device is squeaking.

2. The battery life is sub-par. My 4-year-old Core i7 laptop lasts longer on battery than the Jolla tablet. Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue, but it needs to be looked into.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
You mean something like this:
US20120127000 A1
Yes, exactly.

So we have a 5 (or 6, depending on which date you look at) years old patent.
Where are the devices?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, exactly.

So we have a 5 (or 6, depending on which date you look at) years old patent.
Where are the devices?
I remember reading about a PC keyboard (Optimus Maximus) that is made of small displays, each being one keyboard button.

Never seen one but here is a video that I found by quick Google search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o03lWhKykBk

Similar aproach could probably be used also in phones but might be a bit expensive

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os