Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I posted this elsewhere, and you guys have probably all seen it, but for anyone else interested, I have a tarball of the mojo-ubuntu rootfs with ff3 and opengl installed posted here. It might be easier for some of you than debootstrap...

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
.. and my notice before about proof of concept obviously goes for qole too.

qole: if you picked up my posting about the Maemo Reconstructed thing - we're trying to make a proof of concept system of this to verify some possibilities.

I'd love your input on it since you have invaluable knowledge on how to intermix different DEs on Maemo - imagine a system where we wouldn't need a chroot to get things running, but still be able to run Maemo/Hildon and integrating normal apps into it.

(One of the ideas is to create an base system where porting apps to Maemo should ideally be about just hildonizing and rebuilding, and that there is support in the OS to support different Desktop enviroments)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would like to imagine a system that works as well as the native Maemo desktop, but lets you install anything in Debian or Ubuntu without hassle. I would like to see a system where GTK apps auto-hildonize to a great extent. I want a system where the dependencies are all there and you don't have to hack to get stuff to work...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
Any progress on this project lately?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post
Any progress on this project lately?
Theoretically it's available, but it'll still take time fight with that damn application launcher. I'd say, no, don't waste your time for this (like i did).

In fact, Ubuntu-Mobile, which is now btw called Ubuntu-MID, is based on old Maemo componens, and that makes it feel like maemo without working application launcher and application switcher. It's not cool.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Have a look at the Mer

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:

Tags
mer, ubuntu