Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Please use this forum for discussion regarding e17 desktop on Ubuntu or Mer.

After spending 2 weeks trying to accomplish on my own, what debian has a full team to do, I have decided that it would be best to stick to the older method. That said: It will take a while to install e17. Just start the install and let it go overnight!
If you really want to try e17, but don't have the time then you can simply apt-get install e17. However, this is not recommended as this method has a several missing features that make it less enjoyable. So, if you really want the full e17 experience...use the method below!
__________________________________________________ ______________________
E17 install directions:

Install base system...

Update you package list and upgrade to latest packages:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$sudo apt-get install cvs libxslt1-dev libxkbui-dev libxtst-dev libxp-dev libxinerama-dev ccache xcompmgr flex bison autoconf-archive libxfont-dev
$ wget http:// cafelinux.org/Downloads/oz-os/pool/main/e/e17-svn/e17-svn_1.2.3-3_all.deb (except remove the space between the second http:// cafelinux...)
$ sudo dpkg -i e17-svn_1.2.3-3_all.deb (You WILL get errors/warnings that some dependencies are missing. That's okay because you'll fix it with the next command).
$ sudo apt-get -f install
WARNING: This WILL take a SIGNIFICANTLY amount of time to setup and requires quite a few libraries to be installed.

Next you need to have a locale that e17 recognizes for keyboard purposes:
$sudo locale-gen en_US.UTF-8 (or whatever works for your locale)

Next you will need a dictionairy for the keyboard to use for autocorrect/word guess:
apt-get install wamerican
You'll want to set up gtk so your programs that use gtk will look good. Download gtk and icon themes and extract them to the .themes and .icons folders in your home directory.
create a file called .gtkrc in your home directory and put this in it:
gtk-theme-name = "B_and_W"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "OxygenRefit2-black"
gtk-font-name = "Sans 14"
Note:This theme requires the pixbuff gtk2 engine, which you have to install if you haven't already. Also, using larger font sizes will make the menu bar easier to use, but use more screen space.
$sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf
If you have a N810:
Then, in the terminal type:
mkdir ~/.e/e/keyboards
Then type:
$ nano ~/.e/e/keyboards/ignore_built_in_keyboards
in side this file type
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/*
Then hit "Ctrl & x" at the same time.
Then hit "y"
Then "enter"

Everyone:
If you are using auto-startx (no login manager)
.xinitrc
exec enlightenment_start
If you want to use gdm
$ cd/usr/share/xsessions
make a file called enlightenment.desktop
Put this information in that file:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Enlightenment 0.17
Comment=
Exec= /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
Icon=
Type=XSession

You will probably also want to install a program that will improve the applications list (menu).
$sudo apt-get install gnome-menus
Note: you can make things larger (and therefore, easier to press) by playing with the scaling in the settings.

Also, I recommend installation of the xserver-xomap package (this makes the graphics smoother/faster and makes the mouse invisible):
$sudo apt-get install xserver-xomap
__________________________________________________ _____________

Big thanks to: raster, b-man, Stskeeps, qole, and querty12 for their help.

Final note: If things are broken, then help me fix them!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6aVu_mnz34

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-04-18 at 19:19.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Post updated!

The e17 packages are NOW in the Mer repository.
But, you can still manually install the packages.
Go check it out.

I'll probably be adding a few more package of extra modules and stuff. But, the e17 should work at this point.

Please give me feedback about the install process and if you have any problems with e17 itself.

Thanks

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-03-06 at 16:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Just as a heads-up, i'm also working on getting e17 into the ubuntu-n8x0 repository
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I finally got my tablet back from the repair shop and i was finally able to test this
Enlightenment is so awesome.. the "illumine" or whatever the profile for small handhelds was, is just like a lot improved ubuntu-MID. The Standard- and Netbook-profiles are also very usable, though taskbar addon doesn't seem to be in Mer repository yet.

e17 will be, i think, one of my favourite desktop-environment in the future... thanks neatojones + everybody who are working on this

I'm going to be updating packages soon. I found a git repository ran by debian which seems to have up to date build data. The actual packages will be from a slightly older svn of e17, but they should allow the illume dictionary and keyboard modules to build properly. It looks like they will help with a few other bugs as well.

I'm planning on getting started on it soon.

For right now, I recommend trying out e17 with the debs and if you really want the best results (with the most features) use the deb at the bottom of the post and let it run overnight.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
If E17 will ever be released... (I know, EFL is awesome, but the lack of stable releases is not inviting for end users) hmm, some screenshots perhaps? What rendering engine and browser does Enlightenment offer these days?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
If E17 will ever be released... (I know, EFL is awesome, but the lack of stable releases is not inviting for end users) hmm, some screenshots perhaps? What rendering engine and browser does Enlightenment offer these days?
See the video at the bottom at the first post. It explains things better than screenshots can.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If the packages are now in Mer's repo, I'll take the E17 packages out of my repository.

EDIT: done.

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-11 at 23:46.

I appreciate you putting those packages up on your repo in the meantime.

Also, sorry I haven't yet had a chance to update the package further. I think I may have found the solution to the problems with the prior packages, but I've had to focus a bit on school this week so I haven't had a chance to go through and update all of the packages (there are a lot). Anyway, I'm hoping the next set will at minimal have a working onscreen keyboard and possibly have the problem with the graphics fixed.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
FWIW, I've used E17 with Illume theme a bit on desktop. This also gives someone an experience with E17 without too much work. All I did was use a shell script (reasy_e17.sh or something) to compile and install E17 in /opt. After that GDM detects Enlightenment is installed and you can select it and play with it. Ofcourse on different hardware, but its still a recent experience. Elive 1.0 is out of date nowadays. The shell script allowed me to install the 'stable' stuff or also 'the experimental' stuff. I chose the former; it is normal that some modules and gadgets don't work as E17 is always a DR (development release).

Tags
mer, ubuntu