Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Since when is BSD/MIT/LGPL-licensed stuff non-free to distribute?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Since when is BSD/MIT/LGPL-licensed stuff non-free to distribute?
Is this a serious question?

OK. Let's say I write a program or produce a product which is covered by some patent. I license it as BSD, MIT, GPL or public-domain for all I care. Does that in *any* manner invalidate the patent? Obviously not.

Google is notorious for doing stuff which they license as open-source, saying "hey, it's free to use it", however ignoring any IP associated with whatever they've done (see VP8/VP9/Android/Chromium/what-not).

So they get to be known for making things "free", while the rest get to clean up the mess after them.

--
Add. for extra clarity: let's say I make a nuclear bomb and give it a free-to-distribute license. I hope you see the "issue" with it.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
IP = ?

But if it's patent restricted, doesn't it violate the open source license?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
IP = ?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Piazzola sul Brenta (PD), Italy
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
i have the deb file. will upload it later to a hosting site and give you the link. as nokiabot said try qml browser.
Can I have it too? Thanks!

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
IP = ?

Not really. The thing is that if I now write an open-source program I may not necessarily know whether I'm infringing some patent or not (or where, as patents are national).

So when I distribute the program I don't know. Until I get a letter asking me to stop. Then I have to decide if I stop or if I fight.

The decision is not necessarily a "technical" decision. It depends on who has the bigger $$$.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes but in this case the fight was between entities A and B. Nokia was entity C. I would first ask A and B to fight it out between themselves before I did anything. Doing anything else was tantamount to presuming that A was right and B was wrong. Worse still, it was tantamount to publicly announcing the presumption. Things like that are even illegal in some juristictions.

Anyway, it has already happened and is not going to unhappen so all this talk is pointless. I just hope that our future councils won't be so spineless.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
can i go OT too and ask if chromium for N900 support flash videos and html5 videos? if yes, what about performances?

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
[damm what if it isint put in the repos insted github or some other repos and using opensource crome sources to compile ?]

Using Chrome these (I assume Dalvik) apps can run https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...yo8/edit#gid=0
here is the Chrome APK converter discussion thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1439912