Heey everyone!

I'm starting to think my n900 is on its way out. A few weeks ago my USB port popped out, and since getting it back (and sourcing a new method to charge the battery), my SD card slot hasn't worked. I found a thread on this page about a magnet in the back cover, but my issue doesn't seem to stem from that, as dmesg clearly states when my back cover gets taken off and put back on. The only thing related is the last line of dmesg, that reads:
Code:
[ 275.700531] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card
I've tried with multiple SD cards (two of which I know work in my desktop, both of which have been used in my n900 for a long time without issue) to the same effect.

One of those SD cards contains an Arch Arm system that I usually boot off with u-boot, but that can't find it either, so I guess that means it isn't a maemo issue...

Has anyone had this issue, and managed to find a fix?

Am I in denial about how my n900 can survive anything, and will never need to be replaced...?

Cheers all!

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
It seems you have diagnosed there maybe a hardware issue.

Has the card slot or any connections to it been removed or damaged.

Maybe the key is to find out what a 110 error is?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Error -110 is a timeout.

If the card works perfectly everywhere else, but fails on N900, I suspect hardware failure. Considering how damaged your N900 is, you may want to try cooking it in roaster oven, repairing both this and usb port (of course, you need to apply flux first, place prot correctly, etc).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
It doesn't look damaged, but I'm only looking at it without taking stuff apart. I sent it off to a relative recently who was supposed to fix the USB port, but I've no clue what he did there so I can't say. Haven't got a screwdriver small enough to check either!

Estel, thanks for that. I may look at repair shops because I'm useless with hardware and to be honest don't want my uncle fiddling around in there again.

Indeed, not only does the card work elsewhere but there are multiple cards with the same issue (that all work elsewhere and have worked in the n900 before).

Thanks both! I'll have a look into possibly repairing it!

Last edited by Piece_Maker; 2014-09-20 at 13:06.