Active Topics

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
Hi,
I wanted to start a discussion about what could happen form a developer point of view if N9's (Meego core os)Maemo 6 swipe UI would leak out to the internet. I'm pretty sure that once the community would have the hands on it they cold turn upside down the market, giving an unofficial, polished version of what that OS could have been.

What do you think?
How badly do you wish thus to happen? Me a lot.

Ps: sorry about the topic, I understand that it might be discussing about dark stuff too closely, but let's keep this very bar-talk and not start a "this won't be legal, bla bla" kind of conversation

Last edited by ombre; 2012-03-20 at 10:03.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
rofl.

code leak and it'll magically pull the community to come together and create a polished version?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

So in your opinion there would be no interest on developing over it?
I know the code is certainly full of crap but it's a solid platform, given the features and the outcome

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
What you call the "meego core" is free and open source software. No need for leaks. Lookup "mer".

I think what you want is N9's "maemo6" UI aka swipe.

exactly

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
If it leaked, any decent developers (e.g. the people working on Mer, Nemo or CSSU) probably wouldn't touch it because of the legal problems. You might see some other developers working with it, but it would be a very underground thing.

Anyway, it's very unlikely to leak, isn't it?

Last edited by pelago; 2012-03-20 at 16:08.

It could be at least interesting to see how crappy the code is.
Because, given last year's events, after the departure of the finnish coders, half of the code has certainly been manufactured by somebody else, e.g. subcontractors from India.

So it could be very interesting to see different layers of coding and how the implementation of the swipe ui has actually been achieved.

Then if an underground movement starts to work on the code and manages to clean it up... It would be also good. I think that Nokia should open source it anyways.