Active Topics

I see that Pico was addressed a while back for the 770 and the n800. Would anyone know if it works (nano) for the latest OS?

I downloaded VIM which works great, but I was never very good at using it. If I had the choice, I would just use pico, short learning curve and I do not program. I wish I had programming talent though.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by kady View Post
I see that Pico was addressed a while back for the 770 and the n800. Would anyone know if it works (nano) for the latest OS?

I downloaded VIM which works great, but I was never very good at using it. If I had the choice, I would just use pico, short learning curve and I do not program. I wish I had programming talent though.
I would really suggest learning vi, but thats just me. I literally spent 20 minutes one day making a cheat sheet for vi, and I never looked back, soon I did not need the cheat sheet and I could just edit files. vi will always be there, might as well learn to use it

Thats just my two cents,

BTW, I used to love pico and hate vi, I can't say that its now the reverse, but I have not used pico in many years.

Since I am not in school or anything, I suppose that I could delay the atrophy of my brain and learn vim. I found tutorials so I understand that there are modes now. I just could not understand how to use the commands since they added to the text.

Thanks for the advice.

nano is working fine on os2008 for me.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Nano works fine in os2008 for me too. I use it instead of vi, because I don't have to memorize commands or use a cheat sheet. And I don't need to use a command line editor enough to bother with that.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
I started using joe in Slackware 1.something, and I'm stuck on it now. I think it's available in the elkins.org repository.

Hmmm. With 2008 came osso-xterm. I added open-ssh client, but in two tries, one with and without open-ssh, there was an error installing. Something about incompatibility. Am I installing the wrong thing? Is xterm/ssh one program or two.

Many thanks.

Kathleen

p.s. I am getting the hang of vim.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by kady View Post
. . . there was an error installing.
We need some sort of detailed log to say for certain. Either from apt-get or the Application Manager.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Near Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by ArgentSilver View Post
Nano works fine in os2008 for me too. I use it instead of vi, because I don't have to memorize commands or use a cheat sheet. And I don't need to use a command line editor enough to bother with that.
How did you install Nano under OS2008? I tried it on maemo.org but got no results for nano..
http://maemo.org/downloads/search/ap...8&fetch=Search

Thanks!

I have a tiny (50k) nano package here

http://olya.com/maemo

The Following User Says Thank You to ag2 For This Useful Post: