Notices

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Eh... not exactly the topic started... but it happens.

I'm not (necessarly) interested in downloading another email application, coding my way into making sure that the entire system respects that I want to use the other mail application, and then fiddle my way through the user experience.

I've got a solid solution with Modest (scary right); and I'd like to know what kind of functionality can be grafted onto that without killing the UX that it already has.
--

The other side of that is that plugins of this ilk *should* be designed for other email apps for the platform - bonus points if the same plugins could be used for different applications.

This kind of developing and thinking brings coesion to the platform, and invites folks who are less technical to take a leap, knowing that if they don't like a program, that either another program+plugins would work better, but not have to fiddle with the finer points of their personalized use.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments nevertheless... I'll either find a means to learn to code for the platform, of press my observations and questions in better-served directions.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
The best bet for the use cases you describe is no kind of plugin system for Modest. Instead, register MIME type handlers for docx which send it off to a PDF rendering service, retrieve it and open it in the PDF Viewer.

Then you can open a docx file from File Manager, web pages, email messages, random USB devices attached etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Specifically, have there been plugins developed for it in the past
Not yet, but the plugin system is a new feature in the Fremantle version. AFAICT only account/protocol type plugins are supported at the moment, so anything that interacts with message contents isn't possible.

Relevant links: plugin API, implementation notes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I'm curious to why you say the above. I'm just now starting out using email on my N810 and am so far using Modest. What features of Claw makes it better than Modest and why is Modest 'unusuable for most people'?
I can go over various Modest problems for an hour or so, starting with UI deficiencies (fonts not configurable, UI layout not saved, etc.) and ending with Modest getting stuck and/or repeatedly asking for account details when it fails to connect to the server for some reason. Unfortunately, I have done it many times already, filed bug reports, etc. Not going to do it again. The summary is: avoid Modest like plague.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Another thing I noticed about Modest today is it for some reason if it's inactive for a while it will go into sleep mode with a Zzz icon which doesn't save a draft of your message for you automatically...
What is the bugs.maemo.org bug number of this? :-)

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by fms View Post
I can go over various Modest problems for an hour or so, starting with UI deficiencies (fonts not configurable, UI layout not saved, etc.) and ending with Modest getting stuck and/or repeatedly asking for account details when it fails to connect to the server for some reason.
Wow, odd... I've never once had any of these problems with it since it was released as beta (ignoring the UI deficiencies, which don't bother me anyways).

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Wow, odd... I've never once had any of these problems with it since it was released as beta (ignoring the UI deficiencies, which don't bother me anyways).
You are simply lucky then. I have seen very few people who can say they have not had problems with Modest. It is barely beta quality software.

If Modest would download images in e-mail I'd be happy. Even with a warning of some sort like G-Mail.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
If Modest would download images in e-mail I'd be happy.
Are you willing to use Gconf-Editor? If so, please see: "Howto: Enable Graphics in HTML mail"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
On my N810 I use Modest to retrieve Gmail with IMAP. Mail deleted on the tablet is deleted on the Gmail server. Email performance with Modest and Gmail is faster than Microb and the Gmail web site although that works as well.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1