Active Topics

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
The main problem is that ED has no HW acceleration for video decoding (and never will have).
AFAIK leetnoob was able to enable EasyDebian's totemplayer to play HW accelerated videos, by copying some files from Maemo to ED (possibly replacing some ED's ones). It's buried "somewhere" in this thread, and I'm perfectly sure it was really working, not just a hoax.

I don't know if the stock Maemo kernel fully supports ext4, but I guess most - if not all - ED users use KP anyway.
Stock kernel doesn't support ext4 at all. BTW, I totally agree with You - IMO, ext4 is only sensible choice, but, some people may prefer ext2 due to lack of journal.

BTW, it's perfectly possible to mount ext3 image without journal support, which makes it, practically, ext2 (but, maybe, just maybe, allow to benefit from some ext3 optimizations, if any present). also, I'm perfectly sure, that You can set ext4 to lack journal, thus - this time for sure - benefit from ext4 optimizations, even if You prefer journal-less filesystem.

I think I can clear this up. Do you remember that I had to macgyver a fake Squeeze pulseaudio package that actually contained the Lenny version to stay compatible to Maemo's pulseaudio protocol version?
So what you have now is a Lenny pulseaudio with a Squeeze gcompris that thinks it can rely on a Squeeze pulseaudio, which in this case causes trouble.

I believe I have a better idea for a new pulseaudio package which actually contains the correct pulseaudio version and is compatible to Maemo. But in order to do that I have to recompile pulseaudio, which I can't do on the N900 due to the watchdog. I already have an armel qemu VM set up but that comes with huge performance penalties (8-10% of the x86 host CPU seems to be reasonable), so I intend to wait with any actual work until Wheezy is frozen, which is scheduled for June.
I will then try to create a minimalistic Wheezy image containing the proper (but recompiled) pulseaudio which will be able to run iceweasel 10 too btw. (I already tried to backport iceweasel 10 to Squeeze by reproducing what the people at mozilla.debian.net are doing for i386 and amd64 but gcc4.4 for armel is too buggy for that and I didn't succeed in compiling gcc4.6 on Squeeze armel either, so I finally gave up on that.)
Yea, though about this as possible case. I'm glad that You got idea, how to actually make it work (even more) properly - it's much beyond my skill, so I can just hold my thumbs (or help in testing, if You need any).

Of course I understand that You may like to wait for Wheezy becoming stable, but as for compiling on-device, as different problem - why You can't do it because of watchdog? Your device becomes uresponsive and watchdog triggers reboot, or what?

If the latter is true, remember, that by using swap on microSD + correct swap-related settings (to be found in last few pages here, 2 different settings, suggested by freemangordon and by me), You could probably do it on device without bad surprises. At least, it works for me even during heavy compressing (lzma) operations, both memory and CPU requiring.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Another weird thing happening.....

Had ED running and was running OK....then minimized ED window...

In Maemo, I clicked power button and selected offline mode...then lock screen and keys....left AC power cord plugged in...

Went out for about 1.5 hours, came back and tried to get N900 display to light up, but no go....stayed black after tapping on it and extending out keyboard and tapping on a key....tried pressing on power key slightly, nothing happened, no response....

So, finally took battery out and reinserted...pressed power key and nothing happened...shouldn't be low batter charge issue as I left N900 plugged in today while using to avoid this happening....

Besides using ED today, I did install and configure swappolube. Used suggestions from wiki page.

Also, I have installed CSSU Stable version a few days ago.

Any ideas as to whether this is related to ED, CSSU, swappolube, or ? If more appropriate, I can post this separately....

Thanks!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Few days ago, I've gone through full process of installing ED on 2nd device I'm preparing for a family member - I decided to install my image from qole's site instead of copying one I've on device, for testing purposes. Of course, using proper swap-related setting (even despite fact, that 2nd device wasn't having microSD card, so no swap on microSD) I was able to finish process without any problem, from downloading image, unpacking it via LZMA, mounting as loop, to copying everything into dedicated partition (without need to swaponoff).

Overall, qole did awesome job of making it usable for everyone out-of-the-box - separation from Maemo's home/user works flawlessly, setting locales and tzdata took only a minute or so. Ho ever, I've noticed three small regressions, compared to image sitting on my 1st device:

1. /home/user/xbindkeysrc doesn't exist at all. You need to create it from scratch. It makes "Set Debian HW Keys" button desktop shortcut unusable, and of course, doesn't allow to use right-click and similar features inside LXDE. No big deal - everyone can create own .xbindkeysrc file, or use one from this thread/wiki article/whatever.

2. Panels, when hidden, are 10 pixels wide, instead of 2 (minimum). It makes desktop looking little ugly + eats precious space. It's a very minor issue - everyone can customize it via right click on panel -> configure panel -> advanced

3. Icon for orientation switch isn't working (showing standard system icon). This one keeps buggying me - I've FCKN no idea why it doesn't want to work. I've compared orientation.desktop which one from my system, and it's exactly the same. Icon is sitting where it should. I tried messing with xdg-icon-resource, updating it etc, I've tried adding it manually from scratch - no matter what I've tried, this bugger just doesn't show icon. Ho ever, orientation switching itself does work.

If anyone got an idea how to fix it, it will be greatly appreciated. It's just impossible, that it works on 1st device, and doesn't want to work on 2nd.

/Estel

// Edit

@ArchiMark
It doesn't sound like ED related. I hope that Your device is working well, now?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
AFAIK leetnoob was able to enable EasyDebian's totemplayer to play HW accelerated videos, by copying some files from Maemo to ED (possibly replacing some ED's ones). It's buried "somewhere" in this thread, and I'm perfectly sure it was really working, not just a hoax.
Well, I should have said that I was referring to ED running the LXDE desktop. It runs on top of Xephyr, and Xephyr doesn't support HW acceleration. That might be totally different for running programs via debbie, but since I hardly use debbie I didn't consider that.

I'm perfectly sure, that You can set ext4 to lack journal, thus - this time for sure - benefit from ext4 optimizations, even if You prefer journal-less filesystem.
Yes, you can. But you'll have to do that via tune2fs. So it sort of requires advanced knowledge compared to ext3 which you can simply mount as ext2 to disable journaling.

Of course I understand that You may like to wait for Wheezy becoming stable, but as for compiling on-device, as different problem - why You can't do it because of watchdog? Your device becomes uresponsive and watchdog triggers reboot, or what?
Exactly. I did some pulseaudio compilations on device during my attempt to dist-upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze and it took about 12 hours to complete (if it completed).

If the latter is true, remember, that by using swap on microSD + correct swap-related settings (to be found in last few pages here, 2 different settings, suggested by freemangordon and by me), You could probably do it on device without bad surprises. At least, it works for me even during heavy compressing (lzma) operations, both memory and CPU requiring.
Thanks! I will look into it. I played with swappolube about a year ago or so. My impression was that it was only making things worse, but I may just have used wrong parameters since I'm pretty much of a kernel noob.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:

{snip....}

/Estel

@ArchiMark
It doesn't sound like ED related. I hope that Your device is working well, now?
Thanks, Estel.....

Well, good news is device is working again....best I can tell it seems that battery got too low and thus would not boot...I charged it in the external battery charger overnight and now N900 boots up OK....

So, the strange thing is why this is happening to me, when I had N900 plugged into AC power all day yesterday???? I do get the message on the display when I plug in AC power charger that it is charging....but given what is happening, it seems like it isn't charging or maybe battery is not holding charge properly or ?

One setting I use that I know uses more battery power, is that I turned off the wifi power saving function in network connections, as it seemed to impact my ability to download large files...

Any suggestions?..........

Now, for a ED/Estel image file question....

After using ED/Estel for awhile yesterday, I noticed that when I clicked on the side panel it opened up wider, but....the program icons were not completely shown, it only showed the a narrow vertical sliver (ie, tall and narrow...) of the left edge of the icon. When I tried to tap on the narrow icon shown, it would not open up the program like it usually does.....

Is there any way to fix that if it happens again or just shutdown ED and restart it?

Nokia N900

Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
One setting I use that I know uses more battery power, is that I turned off the wifi power saving function in network connections, as it seemed to impact my ability to download large files...
Even with power saving turned off, AC charger is giving more juice, than device uses. Strange, indeed. BTW, I always have power saving @ max, and I don't have problems with downloading large files nor downloading them @ large speeds (up to 12 MB/s).

After using ED/Estel for awhile yesterday, I noticed that when I clicked on the side panel it opened up wider, but....the program icons were not completely shown, it only showed the a narrow vertical sliver (ie, tall and narrow...) of the left edge of the icon. When I tried to tap on the narrow icon shown, it would not open up the program like it usually does.....

Is there any way to fix that if it happens again or just shutdown ED and restart it?
Never encountered such problem, so no idea. IF restarting LXDE helps You, it's probably best solution.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Even with power saving turned off, AC charger is giving more juice, than device uses. Strange, indeed.
Yes, very odd....

BTW, I always have power saving @ max, and I don't have problems with downloading large files nor downloading them @ large speeds (up to 12 MB/s).
So, I assume that you also have 10W selected instead of 100W, besides selecting the maximum power saving option.....

Also, what is your setting for Search Interval? 5, 10, 60 minutes, etc?

Meanwhile, new problem with wifi....

Neither my home or work network connects now....when I click on one of the connections I've setup (and was working OK until today...), within a second or two, I get the error message pop up on the display; "Internet connection failed. Try again?" I tried multiple times, but no go.....

Very strange.....

UPDATE: Got wifi working again!....searched on this in forums and found a post where someone shutdown N900, removed battery, and rebooted and it worked again....I just rebooted N900 and it worked!....go figure!.....

Never encountered such problem, so no idea. IF restarting LXDE helps You, it's probably best solution.
Agree.....but think I'm having too many strange problems lately!......

Nokia N900

Last edited by ArchiMark; 2012-05-16 at 05:13. Reason: Update - Got WiFi Working Again

So, I assume that you also have 10W selected instead of 100W, besides selecting the maximum power saving option.....
Nope, i use 100 mW, as using 10 doesn't bring any real power saving benefits, yet it cripples range much.

BTW, I'm glad You got Your wifi working back, but it's not good thread to discuss that As a last note - don't worry, it happens sometimes. Reloading drivers (via advanced interface switcher, etc) works most of the time - cycling device (power off, removing battery, etc) too. It's probably nothing to be worried about.

In case of further non-Ed problems, lets move discussion to appropriate thread, please

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

@Estel
I am interested in applying the SDCArd swap settings and tweaks
Since this thread is not the best place to discuss swap settings, I have created a separate thread for everyone to discuss the best methods

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...34#post1207234

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to [DarkGUNMAN] For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
I actually try Easy Debian because I am interested in using blender on N900.
I have installed it (I am using sulu image) on my N900.
Before install blender, I run apt-get update to ensure that I will have the latest version.
But after installing it, I can't open blender. It show nothing when I run it from the menu, but when I run blender from the terminal it give me this:
Code:
$ blender
Compiled with Python version 2.6.6.
Fatal Python error: exceptions bootstrapping error.
/usr/bin/blender: line 133:  9210 Aborted                 blender-bin "$@"

$ blender-bin 
Compiled with Python version 2.6.6.
Fatal Python error: exceptions bootstrapping error.
Aborted
I have try reinstalling python, but it still show the same problem.
So have anyone encounter this problem?
Can we actually run blender on N900? How is the performance, is it slow as h*ll?

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze