Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
I would LOVE to have a real developer take over this and add full screen and\or hildonization.
I shall see what I can do.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Thanks you. Good luck!

I have a large collection of source code tarballs that cover a number of years of Basilisk II and Basilisk II JIT releases. I tried compiling around 10 of them last night, but only the one linked to in my second post compiled all the way and ran correctly on my N800. The others usually had the dreaded sigsegv error during the make phase, or when run on my N800.

One of the 2005 source tarballs would compile and even had the GUI frontend for basilisk_ii_prefs editing using GTK+ 2, but the executable gave a sigsegv error when the emulation started.

Most source does not recognize GTK+ 2 when configuring, so I tried compiling (&make install) GTK+ 1.2 and GLIB under Scratchbox to give the BasiliskII executable the GUI frontend, but GLIB would not compile.

The segfault problem when it's running is normal, as it actually puts the Mac OS in the actual address it allocates. If the Mac OS tries to access hardware directly, most parts are patched (BasiliskII doesn't emulate the hardware, it patches the Mac OS to make it think the hardware is there, and grabs the values from the driver).

And I spent an entire day hacking the other one up to make it go (it involved grabbing bits from the GP2x version).

This one seems to be working OK. I got somewhere into hildonizing the last one.

There was a discussion on the maemo mailing lists about how to get the icon to show up for some X apps, and it involved creating a .desktop file specifying the wm class.

/usr/share/applications/hildon/basiliskii.desktop
Code:
[Desktop Entry]                                                                                                                                                       
Name=BasiliskII                                                                                                                                                       
StartupWMClass=BasiliskII
Works alright. It now has an icon in the task manager and can be minimized, put into the background etc without losing it.

Also, the biggest screen size you can have in non fullscreen is 720x420 pixels (win/720/420).

As for the non-behaving configuration, I'll write my own. The stock one isn't terribly useful anyway.

Last edited by t3h; 2008-02-10 at 05:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to t3h For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Would some of you kind enough to write down some step by step guide, pleeese?

I dl the BasiliskII09.tgz -> BailiskII, and .basilisk_ii_prefs and I also got the Quad650.zip. Any help?

Thanks,

bun

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Bun, get this tutorial: http://www.geocities.com/game_master107/howtoemulateamac.html

My setup is the following:
I have quad650.ram, Starterdisk.hfv and a hd image I called mac-hd, all in /media/mmc1/Emu

I made the hd image with the ubuntu gutsy port of BasiliskII, but the tutorial uses a win software called hfv explorer.

In /home/user I have the BasiliskII executable and the .basilisk_ii_prefs file.
Mine contains:

disk /media/mmc1/Emu/Starterdisk.hfv
disk /media/mmc1/Emu/mac-hd
extfs /
screen win/720/420
seriala <none>
serialb <none>
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /media/mmc1/Emu/QUAD650.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 209387520
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom true
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer

It's a slight modification of the one from osemutech.

Should work this way. We should experiment, maybe, with keyboard types because "blue" chars on the n810 don't work.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
This is awesome guys!
I couldn't call myself a 'mac fanboy', but back in the day 7.5 and 8 OS's were pleasantly fast and rarely did I ever see a bomb(crash). A lot of the office abilities were already well done and I lived next to COREL.
I'm just an informed user newb, but I had to put in my kudos to you guys for this endeavour.

Keep in mind as well, there was also a great tool for interface customizing called "Kaleidoscope" than ran clean in the OS. It allowed for a large array of modifications to the windows etc.

http://kaleidoscope.net/schemes/schemespotlight.shtml
Boilerplate had been my favorite of all time.

Anyone need an original OS? I may even have ol 7.5->8.5 in home storage somewhere.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Seems fun, I'd like to try. I have never used a mac!
And, a-ehm, are there on the internet any dirty and immoral places where pushers pass you a copy of a mac rom without you owning the real thing? (My questions is only to know what I have *not* to visit with my browser in order to go straight to heavens after my departure). Maybe torrents?
Wouldn't quite know how to do that but I could find out.
And hey Apple totally completely utterly abandoned that OS to the dust heap of history while it still had loads of usability. I feel no hesitation to share any of the ol Mac stuff.

I would bow in homage to the geek masters here if they can make this more accessible.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Now well, some advice from veteran mac users would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I've been impulsive, but I am likely to buy a vintage office 4.5.1 (if no-one overrides my ebay bid). Are there any other useful thing which may complement the NIT software? What did Corel do? I am an absolute noob to macs.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
This is awesome guys!
Anyone need an original OS? I may even have ol 7.5->8.5 in home storage somewhere.
I would love you :P, if you could get os 8.0/8.1 please? (I've looked to no avail)

Thanks.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Now well, some advice from veteran mac users would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I've been impulsive, but I am likely to buy a vintage office 4.5.1 (if no-one overrides my ebay bid). Are there any other useful thing which may complement the NIT software? What did Corel do? I am an absolute noob to macs.
Corel released WordPerfect 3.5e for free to Mac users a number of years ago. After about a year they decided to take it off their website for some reason. But some 3rd party sites still host the download. It's a rather nice word processor (I bought the CDs long ago - DOH!) job4031 has a link to a download site in post #17.

My neglected Macintosh Emulation Station website has a lot of 68k Mac freeware, shareware, and demos that works on Basilisk II, including games. It also has tips for using Basilisk II on Windows. I've been running a forum about Mac and PC emulators and virtual machines since 1999 as well.

http://mes.emuunlim.org:88/
http://mes.emuunlim.org:88/software/index.htm
http://forums.delphiforums.com/MacEmulation

BTW: I somehow corrupted my 8 GB SDHC card yesterday and have spent 8 hours (!) trying to format it. There goes my day off.

Last edited by OSEmuTech; 2011-07-18 at 10:32.