Active Topics

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by kopte3 View Post
Save energy? No. That's a side effect. It turns off so you can't accidentally press something while you're talking.
he meant the screen... not the touchscreen.
the screen turns off to save energy. the touchscreen turns off to prevent unwanted touches with your ear.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I like the slide to answer solution rather then first unlocking then answering.

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
I have a 5800 on which you answer by pressing the screen.

I never answered a call by mistake in my pocket. As far as I can tell, there's a proximity sensor and it inactivates/turn off the screen when in the the pocket.

I guess it will work just as good with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Boke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland

I think that covers the answering part..
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

Well thank you, so if there's no problem on 5800, we can imagine there will be no problem on N900

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
Can you disable an alarm be moving your hand near the 5800? That would be neat...

Originally Posted by Boke View Post
I have a 5800 on which you answer by pressing the screen.

I never answered a call by mistake in my pocket. As far as I can tell, there's a proximity sensor and it inactivates/turn off the screen when in the the pocket.

I guess it will work just as good with the N900

My wife has a 5800 and it sometimes answers even if the phone is in her purse. Altough it can be good to hear what she is doing(talking too) itīs kinda annoying because she canīt hear when it rings. It answers immediatelly. This has happen maybe 2-3 times in 6 months, so itīs not that big of a deal.

Originally Posted by Matic View Post
My wife has a 5800 and it sometimes answers even if the phone is in her purse. Altough it can be good to hear what she is doing(talking too) itīs kinda annoying because she canīt hear when it rings. It answers immediatelly. This has happen maybe 2-3 times in 6 months, so itīs not that big of a deal.
My guess is the extra room in the purse V the pocket/case doesnt register on the prox sensor.

Originally Posted by Matic View Post
If you place your hand/thumb over the prox sensor and then call the 5800, I assume its impossible to answer the call by touching the screen? This would prove the prox sensor helps with unwanted answering

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Duffer View Post
Can you disable an alarm be moving your hand near the 5800? That would be neat...
For most Symbian handsets these days, you can disable alarms by simply turning over (flipping) the device, or double tapping the rear of the casing will initiatize a snooze/ignore-call feature as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post: