Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
That would be cool bobbydoedoe.

Otherwise this is a good app. Any chance to move it into repos?

Originally Posted by 5spdvl View Post
That would be cool bobbydoedoe.

Otherwise this is a good app. Any chance to move it into repos?
i know, if only i have the programming ability

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
This is a very great application. I was just looking into how to build an application like this myself when I stumbled over this.

I would like to help to develop this application further!
I.e. add it to the maemo repo and add some features.

Some parts I miss:
  • Select points on a (open street) map and store them in the database
  • set a radios for each POI (alarm occurs when you get inside this circle)
  • see distance to POIs

I also found some bugs:
I started "locationd" in the terminal, it seems to run fine. Then I tried to add a POI: "locationd-add Home". This gave the following error:
Code:
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.OSError: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/dbus/service.py", line 702, in _message_cb
    retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/molly/daemon.py", line 121, in add_poi
    places_manager.add_current_location(place_name)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/molly/db.py", line 128, in add_current_location
    self._save_places()
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/molly/db.py", line 72, in _save_places
    os.rename(tempfile_name, self.config_obj.get_places_filename())
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
How ever the POI showed up in the already running locationd-qt GUI!
Nevertheless, the places file in "/etc/locationd/places.csv" still does not exist. As I do not have an example I am not sure how I would have to create its content. As the GPS locations can be noted differently, there should be an example. Also I would suggest that the file gets generated at the installation time, together with an example POI.Despite of all of that, this places file should be in a user writeable location! I would suggest "/home/user/.locationd/places.csv".
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Pune, India
Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
This is a very great application. I was just looking into how to build an application like this myself when I stumbled over this.

I would like to help to develop this application further!
I.e. add it to the maemo repo and add some features.

Some parts I miss:
  • Select points on a (open street) map and store them in the database
  • set a radios for each POI (alarm occurs when you get inside this circle)
  • see distance to POIs
All excellent suggestions, thanks. I would appreciate any help making the GUI better, since my own knowledge of doing any GUI development is rather limited. You can take a look at the existing code. It uses pyside, but I'm not fanatical about this. I'm sure you could do a better job with PyQt, if you're more familiar with that.

The source is hosted on bitbucket, at https://bitbucket.org/kushal_kumaran/locationd, which you can fork and modify. Patches welcome

Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
I also found some bugs:
I started "locationd" in the terminal, it seems to run fine. Then I tried to add a POI: "locationd-add Home". This gave the following error:
Code:
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.OSError: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/dbus/service.py", line 702, in _message_cb
    retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/molly/daemon.py", line 121, in add_poi
    places_manager.add_current_location(place_name)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/molly/db.py", line 128, in add_current_location
    self._save_places()
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/molly/db.py", line 72, in _save_places
    os.rename(tempfile_name, self.config_obj.get_places_filename())
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
How ever the POI showed up in the already running locationd-qt GUI!
Nevertheless, the places file in "/etc/locationd/places.csv" still does not exist. As I do not have an example I am not sure how I would have to create its content. As the GPS locations can be noted differently, there should be an example. Also I would suggest that the file gets generated at the installation time, together with an example POI.Despite of all of that, this places file should be in a user writeable location! I would suggest "/home/user/.locationd/places.csv".
The code has a bug where it doesn't create the /etc/locationd directory before it tries to copy a file into it. You can create the directory and it will work.

I've started work on locationd again after a long break and I plan to go through these issues as soon as I can.

Also thanks to everyone for showing interest in this project.

Its great to see your quick reply

I couldn't wait for your answer and started to dig myself into the GPS handling. When I realised that it is very easy and well documented (http://wiki.maemo.org/PyMaemo/Using_Location_API), I quickly wrote my own application.
It does not yet have much interactions but shows how it works. I will especially continue working on the GUI.
How ever it doesn't make much sense to have 2 similar applications, so I would like to merge it with your application!
2 developers can reach more than one

As you can see on the screenshot, I also want to show the distance, so we would have to add that in your code, if possible.
Also I did not understand why you use the molly framework. What is the advantage of it?

If you want to test my app, extract the attachment to a folder on your N900 and start it with "python main.py".
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip Location Alert.zip (8.9 KB, 65 views)
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Hi all

Please have a look on this next beta version.
Its already a functional version.
The GUI how ever still can be improved.
I even plan to integrate a map screen, from where you can select a location.

Please give some feedback/improvements
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip Location Alert.zip (13.1 KB, 78 views)
and more...