Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Lincoln
I have an big request to the advanced users of the MeeGo OS as I were like the monkey with AK47 .Please help me revert some stupid things which I made through the terminal as ROOT .Please

I Used this command line with terminal
echo "" >> /etc/hosts
echo "213.128.137.20 connectivity-test.ext.nokia.com" >> /etc/hosts
exit
however I made error in this command and wrote host not as should be properly hosts now I have in catalogue /etc/host as well as /etc/hosts .Please help me to delete or remove this one which is not correct (/etc/host )with all text content inside .Please

SECOND PART OF MY ISSUE IS
during using this line command
echo "" >> /etc/hosts
echo "213.128.137.20 connectivity-test.ext.nokia.com" >> /etc/hosts
exit
a multiple times as I thought it will not affect this file and will only overwrite this one which I created at first time however I were wrong and now this file at /etc/hosts has multiple text as fallow
127.0.0.1 RM696 localhost
213.128.137.20 connectivity - test.ext.nokia.com
213.128.137.20 connectivity - test.ext.nokia.com exit
even worst is that I made the third line with exit , which should I use to exit from ROOT not for edit and overwrite file - I know I'm an idiot.

Please , I appreciate any help in such mess . Thank you .

@pawoolon
for the first issue use the following as root (be careful with this one):
Code:
rm -rf /etc/host/
Second. Type this as root:
Code:
vi /etc/hosts
then press arrow down (cursor should move one line down) and type on your virtual keyboard:
Code:
3dd
this should remove three lines from the file. To save the changes and exit type two capital 'Z':
Code:
ZZ

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zxcvbnm3230 For This Useful Post:
Dear Users ,
Big thanks to zxcvbnm3230 which helped me clean up the mess which I have done through the terminal .Thank you .Much appreciate .
However I have done almost everything what I found on the maemo forum regarding wi-fi and 3.5G connections saved in automatically mode but they still can't be picked up by device automatically .

These both connections are successfully saved now in automatically mode however my device won't pick it up it all .
Even if I pick it up manually then chosen connection remains only by few minutes and then disappeared and then I have to pick it up manually again and again .

Here is what I have done so far and device still doesn't work properly:
I used this suggested solution as first thing however it didn't change anything in my device :
PHP Code:
2. Method #2 (thanks to Coderus)
I'm not tried this because method #1 fixed this problem, but if you want to try, run this 3 commands as ROOT:
Code:
gconftool -s -t i /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval 300
gconftool -s -t b /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/change_while_connected true
gconftool -s -t str /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/auto_connect "[*]" 
Then I was searching some more solution and I found second suggestion which is as fallow :
PHP Code:
devel-su
then enter the 
default root password:
Code:
rootme
and then
Code
:
echo 
"" >> /etc/hosts
echo "213.128.137.20 connectivity-test.ext.nokia.com" >> /etc/hosts
exit 
Unfortunately this second suggestion doesn't help at all as well and my device still did not pick up this both selected connection which are saved in (automatically used network ) section .
I loosing hope if this can be fixed at any possible way .Please note that I'm unable to re-flash this device as I it is almost impossible to get correct soft due to re-flash in 2017 .
Would be great if any one of can give some light on my issue .Much appreciate .Thank you .

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Repeat the step from zxcvbnm3230 with dd instead of 3dd.
And repeat my echo command (copy/paste), as it seems you have done it manually and some blanks are there where they not belong.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
I did your suggestion however it did not change anything , still both saved connection are available in *automatically used connection* but device won't pick any of this avalible connection unless I do it manually and then connection appears for 5-10 minutes and disappears and then I have to do this again and again .
Might be that hardware issue , antenna or main board of this device ?

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Repeat the step from zxcvbnm3230 with dd instead of 3dd.
And repeat my echo command (copy/paste), as it seems you have done it manually and some blanks are there where they not belong.

@pawoolon
do you have 'Background connections' enabled?
Settings -> Internet connections -> Allow background connections
just in case...

Last edited by zxcvbnm3230; 2017-02-16 at 16:30.

Dear Colleagues ,
Thank you for all your help so far .Please let me be more specifics in such case as I feel I did not explain where is exactly problem so lets start from beginning .
In the moment of the first boot up after factory reset indeed Wi-Fi connection always was landed at *manual used connection * section and then I have to change settings for this connection and make it as *automatically used connection * and then connection revert to manually and then I have to repeat this tick (use aromatically) a few times and then finally wi-fi connection has landing for longer time in automatically section . When I finally established wi-fi connection in this device then device remains connected to wi-fi as long as I been in wi-fi range and wi-fi Icons appears in system tray , when left wi-fi range then device was't pick up again wi-fi and I have to do this manually and again it worked fine .

Regarding 3.5G connection when I left wi-fi range , it was little bit more complicated because the Nokia N9 did not pick up it from saved connection even if this connection was saved as *used automatically connection * than I had to pick it up manually but the connection remains in system tray as connected only a few minutes and then disappears and device were without internet connection , at the moment when I tap the status bar due to pick it up manually 3.5G connection icon was showing again in system tray and then blinking white/blue , connection was established and then disappears again after a few minutes and the Nokia N9 again was without internet connection .

Than thanks you guys I was able to make some changes in MeeGo OS and both connection were successfully saved in *use automatically connection * section and remains there as it should be always .However the Nokia N9 still won't pick up any of these automatically connections unless I do it manually then both connection are established successfully and remains in system try for a few minutes and disappears again (never mind if you are using this device or device is in idle mode ) they will gone any way

Al needed setting(allow internet connection , use internet connection in background , use automatically ) are switched ON and remains ON . After three days and three nights of struggle I lost my faith in that it can be fixed at any way ........

I don't expect any more help from you guys but if any one of you can suggest something more that would be amazing .Thank you .

She is so shiny in black colour , pre owned however so much beautiful without any tears or scratches ..... but can't be used with all her potential ... so sad.

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm3230 View Post
@pawoolon
do you have 'Background connections' enabled?
Settings -> Internet connections -> Allow background connections
just in case...