Active Topics

Poll: Delet the values from the speedpatch?
Poll Options
Delet the values from the speedpatch?

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by karam View Post
@topet2k12001

The transitions.ini that i have are the same of theme-customizer (old stable)
So you will notice no difference
Oh I see...got it. So basically I'll just do the same steps if I want to replace it with some other transitions.ini, right?

Update on my observation/monitoring of this script:

1. Conversation thread (when using Customized Conversation Theme) scrolls faster. Prior to this script I had to wait a few seconds for part of the conversation thread to load; with this script it takes around a fraction of a second.
2. I really don't open 8 browsers so I didn't get to attest to the improved speed.
3. N900 runs fast (or at least does not slow down in comparison) when running the default IM/chat application. I have tried turning on the IM (I have a Microsoft Office Communicator account, Yahoo, MSN, Facebook Chat, Ovi Chat, and Google Talk enabled) and while it's on, I opened the Email app and refreshed my email (I have Microsoft Exchange, Ovi Mail, Yahoo Mail, MSN/Hotmail, Gmail), and then while both are opened I was fiddling around with the Settings Menu and had 3 browsers on.

For me, Item #3 is most impressive as far as demonstrating what the script can do. And my N900 is running at stock 600Mhz speed at that!

I plan to create a video tutorial/how-to on how to install this. Question, karam: if I follow the uninstallation steps, will it revert back to its previous performance? I needed to ask so that I can include in the video tutorial a "before-after" comparison.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Editing first post now
and can some body confirm these commands works pefect?

apt-get install bash
bash speedpatch.sh
That worked for me at least.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Spain
Editing first post now
and can some body confirm these commands works pefect?

apt-get install bash
bash speedpatch.sh
Ok, I tried it finally, and this just works as expected. Now you got it karam! Thanks!

Posts: 856 | Thanked: 1,681 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Aleppo ,Syria
@topet2k12001
theoretically following the unsintallation steps should reverse back to the old status after a reboot
Because they remove every added file

But personally i haven't compared yet

And thanks for every one posted a feedback about the script
also it would be great if posted a video about it

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to karam For This Useful Post:
Actually, I noticed my battery usage is really high when I play Angry birds.

Standby time is really good though,.

Using smartreflex with QCPUfreq.

Memory access still at a constant two bars in Advanced Monitor.

Applied the latest with all the tweaks

I can't do the last step . :-s

Nokia-N900:~# /etc/rc.local
mount: mounting cgroup on /dev/cgroup/cpu failed: Device or resource busy
mkdir: cannot create directory '/dev/cgroup/cpu/user': File exists

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
at the first command i get this:

/home/user # mkdir /usr/local/sbin
mkdir: cannot create directory '/usr/local/sbin': File exists

at the last command i get this:
/home/user # /etc/rc.local
mount: mounting cgroup on /dev/cgroup/cpu failed: Device or resource busy

is this normal???

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
So far I have not really seen many attempts to judge effect of the patch as objectively as possible. So I have tried to do so myself.

Skipping to the result right away; I am sorry to say I could not detect a significant difference....

I used the latest patch, and also used the bash command that is apparently needed, since I had a few errors at first.

Of course it was only one test, influenced by many factors, and not quite scientific. Also, I am still not 100% certain the patch was installed correctly. (though I think it was. Any way of checking?)

Here's what I did:
- I tried to do exactly the same actions, first without, and then with the patch applied.
- I varied only the speedpatch. I have the following other patches active: swappolube, hardware accell. switched on, O/Ced to 500-850 ideal profile, fast transitions, PowerKernel 47, CSSU, tracker switched off by using tracker-config
- stage 1:
Open sites Engadgetmobile.com, maemo.org, allaboutmaemo, my-maemo.com latest sofware
Open gpodder
open contacts
open mediaplayer, play 'N900 extremely short' movie
open opera, load allaboutsymbian in opera
results: w/o patch it took 4:30, with patch 4:00. There is a difference, but I may have been a bit more practiced at opening the programs the second time around, and I forgot to empty the browser caches, so I would not call it significant
- stage 2:
With the above mentioned programs open, I tried to judge responsiveness, speed etc of the following actions, by assigning a grade between 1 and 10 (10 being highest):
(results: w/o means without patch, w means with patch applied)
program switching: w/o, 7.5, w 7.5
browsing, scrolling in browser w/o, 8, w 7.5
scrolling in Gpodder's all episodes view while loading page in background: w/o, 5, w 4
“ while not loading page w/o, 6, w 6
scrolling contacts w/o, 6, w 7
scrolling Hildon-desktop w/o, 8, w 8
conclusion: the scores without patch are a bit higher, but not much difference
- stage 3, 'stress test',
opening Fennec 7 Nightly, loading engadgetmobile.com, testing responsiveness, and closing Nightly again, with all before-mentioned programs still open. I'll leave out the details, but it was a disaster. It took about 10 minutes in both cases, without patch it was somewhat faster.

- stage 4: rating performance of multitasking, browsing, closing windows again after Nightly was fully closed again: 6.5 without patch, 6.5 with patch applied.

As I said, it is still only a single, and not quite perfectly executed test, so if anyone else feels like doing a similar (or better!) comparing test, we can get a better idea.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maartenmk For This Useful Post:
@Ali
@Dragoss91

You are Doing fine
i said in the first post ignore any errors about device resource busy
and any others

@maartenmk

nice comparing
how ever i don't know why the patch didn't effect your N900
you can check if the patch applied
by

cd /dev/cgroup/cpu

if you got there then the patch is applied
but if it said no such file or directory
then it is not applied

PS: did you make a reboot before comparing?

Tags
autobrick, awesome-script, do no install, f***epitaph, install it now, perfect_ n900, script-a-brick, very safe