Notices

has anyone got a clue as to when we will finally get Ovi Maps 3 for Maemo? I use my nav quite often but i could ideally do with voice guidance and points of interest.

cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to dbs11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
I asked about Ovi Maps for Maemo on the Ovi Blog and one Nokia employee confirmed that they are working on a version for the N900, just didn't tell any estimated date, but that was expected. Check the comments bellow:

http://blog.ovi.com/2010/04/06/nokia...tion/#comments

nope. plus maemo5 version of ovi is 1.0 its not same as symbian

The Following User Says Thank You to vietn900 For This Useful Post:
i would think and this is just my brain thinking that you would have to wait until at least we see the symbian 3 device appear

this new device may be running a new version of maps that will be built in qt or it may still even have the older symbian maps on it

symbian supports qt and iam sure the new device will have a version of maps avalible either symbian or qt

qt will be hitting laptops , mobiles , car entertainment , it makes sense to have a nokia maps version in qt to hit all them devices :-) but how long before we see it is another thing

i think it will be a little while yet to you see a better version of nokia maps for the n900 lets put it that way :-)

why not go for sygic

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Please use the search. This topic has already been discussed to death.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post

LOL! every forum has a freakin descipline police like you...
And they all are very annoying....i mean really after couple of threads there is no need for ur 2cents. Just on a postive note please STOP..Thanks again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junooni For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Not as many times as Maemo6/Harmattan/Meego on N900....

Originally Posted by junooni View Post
LOL! every forum has a freakin descipline police like you...
And they all are very annoying....i mean really after couple of threads there is no need for ur 2cents. Just on a postive note please STOP..Thanks again.
Here here............................

I don't think we'll have the possibility of seeing the feature rich maps application that Symbian users enjoy today on our n900s until a Qt version is made and available.

What Im wondering, though, is why there isnt a Qt version already available. I know nothing about the history of Qt and Symbian, a quick google search seems to suggest it's been around a while from 4.6 anyway. I'd have thought that Nokia, who want to present Qt as this quick and easy to use framework for cross platform application development, would have been first to get their apps working using it before trying to sell Qt development to others.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
This was Nokia's reply to my query:

"Based on your concern, the navigation feature is currently not available on the N900. Unfortunately, the current version of Maemo, the software that powers the N900, does not support navigation. With Maemo 5 we prioritized development of those areas that we felt would be the most important for the target audience of this device. This means that Maemo does not yet feature support for the full range of services that our other Symbian-powered Nseries devices might have. However, naturally, we’ll be working to increase support for all Nokia services, including navigation, as we go forward with Maemo"

Nokia are testing the latest Symbian version of Ovi maps, so I guess any QT/Maemo/Meego version is some way off yet.

What interests me is the claim that "we prioritized development... for the target audience of this device".

If effective satnav, a fully-specced calendar, and the myriad of features found as STANDARD on lesser nokia phones are not priority for a premier (if not flagship) device then what was the target market for the N900?