Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by olf View Post
As a place to report issues with Patches, which are solely published in Patchmanager 2's web-catalog (i.e. not also hosted elsewhere, e.g. on Github / Gitlab, or originally on OpenRepos), seems to be lacking, using this general Patchmanager forum (although it feels a bit like abusing TMO for this):
  • "Back-Button Gesture for Android-Apps" prevents AlienDalvik from being switched off. AlienDalvik is always immediately restarted, when the Patch "Back-Button Gesture for Android-Apps" is active, which can be nicely observed with "Ultimate statusbar patch"'s "aliendalvik-runtime indicator".
    Furthermore, after unapplying "Back-Button Gesture for Android-Apps" and restarting Lipstick, Android apps failed to start; rebooting the device fixed that.
    Tested on two Jolla 1 phones under SFOS 2.1.4.14 and 2.1.3.7 with "Back-Button Gesture for Android-Apps" v1.0.2.
    @jakibaki, not being able to shut down AlienDalvik (e.g. temporarily) is annoying, as your "Back-Button Gesture for Android-Apps" is so useful, that I don't want to use AlienDalvik without it, anymore.
  • "Swipe cursor by swiping on the keyboard" v1.0.0 does not apply in Patchmanager 2.0 under SailfishOS 2.1.4.14 (with Patchmanager 2.0's "Developer mode" enabled; this Patch was applicable and working nicely under SFOS 2.1.3.7).
    To be able to position the cursor horizontally by swiping on the virtual keyboard was really cool, plus practically well usable and very useful.
Thanks for reporting!

I'll look into those issues as soon as I have time for it (which will probably be the next few days).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
A quick update on my progess with updating my patchmanager-patches:

The bad news: I will no longer support my patches on patchmanager.

The good news:

I made something better!

I created the patchmanager alternative prepatch which doesn't rely on modifying files on disk but instead preloads a library which makes the applications think that the file has been modified.

If the file is opened in write mode or by a user that's not nemo (for example when updating) it will simply be opened as the old file to prevent problems.

That way ota-updates should work without any problems even with all (prepatch) patches applied.

Prepatch is also compatible with patchmanager so you can run both if you need to.

For further informations and install-instructions please read the readme on the github-page .

I have only ported my keyboard-swipe patch to it (now working on 2.1.4.14) for now but I will shortly port my other patches too.

Any help is greatly appreciated, especially with packaging prepatch+prepatch-patches so they can simply be installed using storeman.

TMO THREAD
Attached Images

Last edited by jakibaki; 2018-03-11 at 23:14.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
A quick update on my progess with updating my patchmanager-patches:

The bad news: I will no longer support my patches on patchmanager.
So that means: You start a tool war by making your patches only available with your prepatcher. hm...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
So that means: You start a tool war by making your patches only available with your prepatcher. hm...
You don't have to choose one tool...

I just don't want to have to deal with supporting my patches on two platforms, especially if there's no reason not to use both if you want to use patches that are only available on patchmanager.

Supporting patchmanager patches on prepatch would for one be a lot of work and also would result in a lot of overhead (on every file-open prepatch would have to search every single unified-diff for a patch for the file that's getting opened).

Last edited by jakibaki; 2018-03-12 at 12:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
so, the development of patchmanager3 is now officially stopped

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
so, the development of patchmanager3 is now officially stopped
I'm sorry, I thought that patchmanager was essentially abandoned and I wasn't aware that you were also working on something new :/.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Maybe you two should work together and release prepatchmanager 2 1/2

I think what jakibaki describes what his prepatch is doing is very reasonable. On the other side I love lean data on my device. So i would welcome to have just one patching system for my device.

So the above sentence written as a joke is maybe really an option. Why not use the code of prepatch for the next patchmanager version. Working together is most times better than just tinkering alone...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
That's one way to put it. Another one is he came up with a tool with a significant improvement regarding one of the main limitations of Patchmanager. The fact that patches for both tools are not compatible is a bad news, but a reasonable cost if we want to move forward and have a less hacky and more user-friendly solution that better deals with OTA updates.

It's a shame that it competes with the development for Patchmanager 3 (I did not know it was under development though, but I haven't been following either), but maybe the maintainers could team up and think about a generic approach putting together the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-03-12 at 15:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Maybe you two should work together and release prepatchmanager 2 1/2

Why not use the code of prepatch for the next patchmanager version. Working together is most times better than just tinkering alone...
I'm definitely open to that idea!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
You don't have to choose one tool...

I just don't want to have to deal with supporting my patches on two platforms, especially if there's no reason not to use both if you want to use patches that are only available on patchmanager.
That is right, but think about this: For applications I need four package managers: jolla harbour, openrepos/storeman, f-droid, yelp. I can handle this. But this is definitely not the best woman's acceptance factor.

For patches you need to explain why they are useful - and you need another two tools for patching.

@jakibaki has the new functionality and @coderus the api. Just try patchmanager 2.5...

(update, wrong spelled name, sorry)

Last edited by cy8aer; 2018-03-12 at 20:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:

Tags
patchmanager, sailfish os