Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by AbelMN View Post
Maybe the biggest phone producer in the world is.n't really interested in a realitve small and difficult market like North America. In the US Nokia is dependant on providers. Not so in the rest of the world. I pay 20€ / month for phone and streaming internet. You?
But thanks, good to know; I'll take my 6 year old 6021 to the States. It works a lot better there and on more places than a Verizons 70$ / month contract in a US Palm.
Verizon blocks other providers in the US, while my Netherlands KPN contract logs in with all GSM providers in the US.
AbelMN, I don't see your logic. The N900 was announced with AWS, a nascent frequency only used in the US. It has done something few other manufacturers have done by supporting this new frequency instead of the 850/1900, which is over capacity in the US at this time. 1700/2100 is the fastest growing frequency, and will be in far more places in no time.

Nokia will probably release the N900 in the US first, and even unlocked, it will be compatible with the cheapest GSM carrier, something many have complained about in relation to the NAM models being at&t only.

Of course you pay little for your mobile plan. Your country is probably already blanketed with 3G. America is alot larger land wise, and covering such a large area is costly and not easy. Our carriers have costs other carriers don't have. But the situation needs improving, I agree.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Nokia n900 can used in future network operator WindMobile.ca. They operate on 1700 MHz / 2100 MHz. Their launch date is Mid November.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Heheh... built-in cellular radio strikes again. Which cellular tech did you WANT? Too bad.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Heheh... built-in cellular radio strikes again. Which cellular tech did you WANT? Too bad.
I have 3g USB modem from Novatel, Ovation MC950D offers triband 850/1900/2100MHz HSUPA/HSDPA/UMTS and quadband 850/900/1800/1900MHz GPRS/EDGE. I use it for internet for my laptop.

This modem pretty much won't work on WindMobile.ca's sim 1700 MHz/2100 MHz.

Throwing money around all these incompatible modems and phones on different network. Money doesn't grow on tress

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
meme, you can still get a 3G capable dumbphone from any carrier and tether it to the N900 via BT for 3G access. not as elegant as it could be, but doable.