Poll: Do you think we should expect voice dialing out of the box on the N900, or can Nokia expect the maem
Poll Options
Do you think we should expect voice dialing out of the box on the N900, or can Nokia expect the maem

Yes, but amazingly android doesn't allow voice dialing with a BT headset, afaik. Since all of the advanced winmo 6.5 phones (acer neotouch, htc hd2, omnia II) have abandonded this feature, today the only advanced phone offering voice dial with BT headset is... wait for it... the iPhone 3gs!

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Planet Earth
No i dont want voice dialing.

Of course I would like to. I used it a lot in my older N-gage and Windows Mobile. it is very handy when you are too busy to look for a contact, or in a hurry.

Moreover, voice commands or voice dictation would be even nicer! ;-)

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
Yes, but amazingly android doesn't allow voice dialing with a BT headset, afaik. Since all of the advanced winmo 6.5 phones (acer neotouch, htc hd2, omnia II) have abandonded this feature, today the only advanced phone offering voice dial with BT headset is... wait for it... the iPhone 3gs!
My N95 and 5800XM both do BT headset voice dialing, I guess also N97 and other Nokia?

Anyway, I want voice dialing and over BT headset so I don't need to take out my phone from the pocket everytime I make a call.
The voice dialing on 5800XM works reasonably fine to me.

Last edited by mcdull; 2010-01-26 at 03:07.

Voice dialing would be a nice-to-have if you have a Bluetooth headset and are driving. On my BlackBerry, I can hit the headset's "Send" button, wait a couple seconds, and speak a name in the address book or a number. It's not a deal breaker for me.

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
I dont want it, I never used it on any phone, I dont care where is that option?

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Second option allows S60 style functionality via established bluetooth protocols. I know some people have had issues with S60 dialing but most people I know it generally works for. If not then training function?
Hmmm, I'm surprised no one is working on an S60 (or E71) emulator for Maemo. I have never used these phones, but from what folks are saying, it seems like they kinda had these features nailed down. So why re-invent that wheel?

My experience with voice-dialing was on Motorola and Sony-Ericsson, and it was very very bad. But on those phones, I was pretty adept at one-hand phone-book look-ups and dialing thanks to the physical keypad and the fact that they could only hold a tiny subset of my contact database anyway.

The N900 is a bulkier device, has a touch-screen (slippery) and enough memory to hold my entire contact database (over 3000 entries). One-hand operation is pretty awkward. So, I would definitely be interested in a hands-free solution such as voice-dialing, as long as it wasn't network-based.

I actually don't care who builds it, but if Nokia already has the code for an effective solution, then it be great if they could port it to the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post:
YES... YES..... YES
Other wise whats the point calling it a modern phone. Voice dial is almost a standard feature now days.
And Groups in the contacts.
And individualized ring tones per contact.

The Following User Says Thank You to mccwho For This Useful Post:
I hope to see this feature soon... Would be amazing in addition to the handsfree FM transmitter...

What i find very weird in all the what will come next or what i want to have next discussions.
Is that everybody is asking for stuff like MMS and so on.

But also there are many threads about Voice turn by turn navigation. So there are a lot of people wanting that and most of the time when you want to use that you are driving a car...

But how com that there are so little request about voice dialing?? Which is a common thing to have in the lowest of lowest phones for years and years?

Is there nobody driving a car and then you want to dial someone? Here in my country if i would pickup the phone to dial somebody (even if i have a blue tooth headset) i could already get a fine (about 170 euro!!) if i would be caught doing that.. Not to mention that it is just dangerous ..

I know i am not the only one also Michal of http://my-maemo.com/ has the same thing as i have (http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopi...=375491#375491). But we seem to be in a very small minority which i just cant believe..