Posts: 51 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
I don't know a lot about the architecture of the locator subsystem, but it would seem that it would not be terribly difficult to make the N900 emulate a separate bluetooth-connected GPS unit, while still leaving the location information available for applications in the phone. This would be useful for people who have to carry such units around, to use with phones or PDA's running navigation software not available on Maemo.

I admit, not a very wide audience, but again, this doesn't seem like a terribly complicated application?

Last edited by chemist; 2010-04-19 at 13:12. Reason: added brainstorm link, quote and changed title

there was an app for the n95 called exgps that would let me use the gps in the n95 as an external bluetooth gps reciever....

http://www.nokiausers.net/Reviews/Ex...for-S60v3.html

any way that this can be ported to the n900?

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
I also am interested in an app like this.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Malaysia
I would like to have it too. I have been using it for many months to share my A-GPS on the S60 phones to the other devices (N8x0) or laptop etc. while in the car. The inbuilt GPS of the N810 was quite crappy even after the beta A-GPS application from Nokia.
Last: N900

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oklahoma
Maybe not as slick as an app but I am pretty sure this can be done with gpsd and bluetooth serial.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Malaysia
That sounds better than nothing. So what next? Should this be taken up in the Brainstorm or somewhere else?
Last: N900

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by extechop View Post
I don't know a lot about the architecture of the locator subsystem, but it would seem that it would not be terribly difficult to make the N900 emulate a separate bluetooth-connected GPS unit, while still leaving the location information available for applications in the phone. This would be useful for people who have to carry such units around, to use with phones or PDA's running navigation software not available on Maemo.

I admit, not a very wide audience, but again, this doesn't seem like a terribly complicated application?
Do you mean, using the N900 as a bluetooth gps to provide gps information for another device over bluetooth?
If so, this is exactly what I need!
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
it is done for some other devices before, so why shouldn't it be possible on the N900?

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by assetburned View Post
it is done for some other devices before, so why shouldn't it be possible on the N900?
I even managed to put my hands on some python files for s60, I'm sure with some effort this can be ported to N900 python code.
(i'm looking into it - but I doubt this will be running soon)
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
I have the patience to wait.... but only for a while ;-)

Tags
bluetooth gps, gps, usb gps