Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"Kernel Power - maemo.org wiki
Jun 21, 2011 ... Warning: the power kernel is not compatible with older versions of the fcam drivers and will cause all camera functionality to be lost until those ...
wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power"

Don't you guys know how to use Power Search?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
*Every* version was working fine with fCam. I'm using it personally with *every* release of kp. Don't spread FUD, pls.
How did you get it to work with the versions of FCAM that the Wiki says are incompatible, since you claim that EVERY version was working fine with fCam, and you have tried it with EVERY version?

It seems that wiki is wrong

I've used fCam with every KP version from kp46 (including custom kp46-wl1) up to latest. I've *never* did something special to it. Just using latest fCam from repos, I was (and I'm) using it successfully with kernel-power.

Either the wiki was edited relying on unconfirmed claims, or was edited by someone with problems (fCam related, not psychical)

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 856 | Thanked: 1,681 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Aleppo ,Syria
i believe i had problems with fcam from extras
but the one in devel is working fine

The Following User Says Thank You to karam For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by karam View Post
i believe i had problems with fcam from extras
but the one in devel is working fine
Yup, you used to have to find a funny version of fcam drivers to work with KP < 27 (or something). It was a real pain in the balls.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
A while ago we were discussing about this curious reboot problem (from page 195) caused by kp..

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I also confirm, that bug with rebooting also occur when turning device on, plugged to charger.

It's impossible to turn device with charger plugged in - need to remove plug, turn on past Nokia logo, and plug charger back.

Sorry for writing in bold, but - while indeed, it is not fatal error - may mean something more serious is going wrong.

Any comment on it from kp devs? Even the smallest one, "we don't have f**** clue what is going on"?

/Estel

// Edit

0_o, please read this small, 4 pages thread...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71127

Voodoo programing?

Are there any news? Will it be fix or is this be unnecessary?

For me, device no longer get into quasi-loop if connected to charger, and then, turned on.

Yet, I'm still not able to reboot without shutdown, most of the times. It seems, that even with help of mighty freemangordon, fight with this bug is 0 - 2. Don't lose hope though, we may yet see Return of the King to this problem, when he (king, not problem) will be less occupied by CSSU/720p/SR/*[put here plentora of other projects, where freemangordon contributes].

/Estel

Ps.

One can always try to reboot using well known voodoo, working for about 50% of cases - place device steady in position similar to one with standing "leg" on table, hold Your breath, and reboot. You may also try to stand only on left leg, hold device in right, and looking back from Your left shoulder.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by col37400 View Post
I haven't said it doesn't work - I've said i've had problems in the past, and so have quite a lot of other people.
You said it in a way that implied that previous versions were incompatible with fcam. None were incompatible with fcam. There were times when people had mis-matched modules, but there's always been a matching module somewhere.

The real problem was that for some time, mainly under Titan's kernel, fcam (which is in part a kernel module) was maintained completely in a separate package. If you loaded a new kernel, sometimes the module for the old kernel would load, but most times it would fail. When a new kernel came out, the fcam folks had to go out and recompile the module, spit out a package, and bump the version.

I believe that was fixed quite some time ago by integrating the fcam module into the kernel-power tree, so now it's where it belongs, in the kernel-modules package. But if you're not getting that package each time you update your kernel, or have a really old fcam package, it may still be mis-matched.

So to use a more "correct" car analogy, it would be like having a car with 13" rims, then upgrading to a new car with 15" rims and not understanding why your old snow tires won't fit the new car. The solution is not to blame the car manufacturer for having different rims, or snidely ask if this car can handle snow tires. It's to go ask politely about getting proper tires for your new car.

Originally Posted by col37400 View Post
Unfortunately, installing stuff on the N900 isn't generally as easy as that.
Yes, it is that easy, if you don't just randomly go out installing stuff. Before I ever install anything, I so a quick power-search here to look for a thread about it. Almost all the apps in the repositories have an announce thread, and some have wiki pages. And in 90% of the cases, there are discussions about what may cause problems, and often a solution for how to fix anything that broke.

If you have a problem after an install, especially one this concise, a simple search (with say "fcam kernel power") would show you the wiki and several thread posts about how to fix the problem. Most of them involve updating your kernel-modules package and/or your fcam package to make sure it's all in sync.

And before you say "pumping gas is easy", I invite you to ask an elderly house-wife who's never pumped gas or someone living without a car about it. Having had to instruct several people from each category about how to properly use a gas station, I can tell you it's not as trivial as you think. It may be second hand to you now, but for people not used to it, it's as mystic as loading kernel-modules along with the kernel is to you.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
@Estel

Previously of the latest busybox-power update, my device was suffering the same reboot issue.
Now it seems solved.
It seems to be something strange with busybox-power and coreutils-gnu....
I suppose that some of the commands implemented in busybox are not so complete to do their job without give an exit 1 during shutdown.

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 856 | Thanked: 1,681 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Aleppo ,Syria
but i don't think it's because of busybox-power
this was happening with me when i updated KP from v40 to v42 (very very old)

The Following User Says Thank You to karam For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery-status, bq27x00_battery, kernel, kernel-power, misiak4king, noobs-cant-read, pali4president, patches, readdirections, revolverspinyou