I'm unable to boot into Arch (using the latest u-boot, with an 8gb microsd card formatted as ext3) because I'm getting a KP with the following message:

Kernel Panic-not syncing: No init found
What could be the problem?

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by evujumenuk View Post
What could be the problem?
For more accurate analysis, you need to supply some information. If I need to start guessing, kernel bootarg init=/bin/systemd is missing from your uboot item.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Hi Guys, in spite of all the effort i did to install and test this OS, i'm still confused about how to install it. I know this is not for beginners, but Please, can someone try to write a step by step guide about how to install this to the Nokia N900 (the first guide sounds too geek for me: for example, how to untar the archive when I plug my sdcard to the card reader under ubuntu, what command do i use to sync in the terminal)
I'M lost. I have an 8GB sdcard, already formated to ext3 with gparted under ubuntu, then i dont know what to do!!!

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
Hi Guys, in spite of all the effort i did to install and test this OS, i'm still confused about how to install it. I know this is not for beginners, but Please, can someone try to write a step by step guide about how to install this to the Nokia N900 (the first guide sounds too geek for me: for example, how to untar the archive when I plug my sdcard to the card reader under ubuntu, what command do i use to sync in the terminal)
I'M lost. I have an 8GB sdcard, already formated to ext3 with gparted under ubuntu, then i dont know what to do!!!
A few pages back was link to this page....check it out....

http://blog.jakgibb.com/2013/03/28/a...stall-on-n900/

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArchiMark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
A few pages back was link to this page....check it out....

http://blog.jakgibb.com/2013/03/28/a...stall-on-n900/
Yay! Thanks, I'll check this guide!!! Thanks a lot!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
if such basic operation as extracting an archive is not something one is familiar with, I doubt this is the right distro, and copy-paste install kinda defeats the sole purpose of choosing a distro like Arch. I'm not discouraging but there are some requirements here other than the hardware. It's not knowing how to use tar, it's the ability to find out and understand how to use it. In addition, I don't want any more posts stating there is something wrong because some imaginary GUI wont start at boot and user gets some mysterius login prompt. Yes, there is a post like that in this thread. That said, welcome Boemien, and happy learning.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Hahahaha!!! Yeap you're right!! I'm not as noob as you think, i mean, i had the N900 for about 2 years before selling it and switched to android for one year without touching any terminal or other stuff related to linux. So I forgot almost all things in using xTerm, even using the N900 browser. I bought another N900 here (on TMO) two weeks ago, and i'm re-learning how to use it the way I did before (learning all xTerm commands, trying to install old apps). In all the cases, Thanks for being there for members!

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
I'm not as noob as you think, i mean, i had the N900 for about 2 years before selling it and switched to android for one year without touching any terminal or other stuff related to linux.
Ah, it's not really a question of being a "noob", or of "touching a terminal". These days, an operating system is considered "user friendly" by hiding as much of the grungy details of managing hardware and services as possible. Arch works in the opposite manner; the choices that the distribution makes, and the packages it will install, are all made plain to you. You effectively become a partner in the process of constructing your personal distribution.

As such, it's really more comfortable for people who understand and enjoy the underlying workings of Linux and Linux-based software. (And it's not a bad way to learn some of those workings if you haven't played around with them before.)

But yeah, I kinda figure that you'd be better to try out Arch on a PC first, and see how you like it, before trying to use it on the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Yeah, i meant, i would learn more if I had a linux distrib with me (the N900 for example), but thanks for your advices!!!

Originally Posted by Skry View Post
For more accurate analysis, you need to supply some information. If I need to start guessing, kernel bootarg init=/bin/systemd is missing from your uboot item.

No, it's not missing, I'm using the default u-boot config for arch. All files seem to be in the right place. What further infos do you need?
My device is in r&d mode and the watchdogs are disabled.
Here's a screen:

The Following User Says Thank You to evujumenuk For This Useful Post: