Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i've already registered my sim and stuff and topped up using text and web tarriff which is unlimited texts and internet + u get your £15 a month to spend on calls.
just cant get net working now lol
http://freesim.o2.co.uk/nvBtjrmP

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Yeah, setting up internet access on O2 pay&go number... I've tried to do this once for work, to test out one mobile website on old blackberry that was O2-locked. I've got some payg sim card, topped it up with £10, activated "web bolt-on" (or sth) and... still had no access. Tried to contact their tech support over email, but it was useless. Finally I just gave up on this.

Why bother with O2? T-Mobile or Voda pay&go sim cards work out-of-the-box.

The Following User Says Thank You to evad For This Useful Post:
i've had no answers from o2 bad customer service so i'm moving network already lol
thinking of going to T-mobile UK until 3 sim bug is fixed.
can some one confirm they t-mobile pay&Go net works and what data plan they have with it

ok i got reply from o2 you need to manually edit settings to these if your a pay&go customer with a n900
as the n900 is not on there portfolio of devices they cant send them over sms

APN address: payandgo.o2.co.uk
Gateway (IP) address : 193.113.200.195
Username : payandgo
Password: password
Session type: Continuous or permanent
Authentication: Normal
Security: Off
Port number: 9201

you can set ip address to auto and leave port number blank, only settings i edited was APN, username and password and all works now on n900

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-11-28 at 22:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Didn't have time to go back over the whole thread, so just looking for help on a couple of points if possible.

- there is a mention a few posts up of an issue with using a 'Three' SIM Card with this phone. My initial plan had been to buy an unlocked N900 from Expansys or another online reseller and then use Three's £15 a month SIM with 300mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet. Is this not possible?

- if Vodafone are the only option then I wouldn't mind going on contract with them, as the rest of my family are Vodafone customers and have never had any complaints. However, I note from their website that the same contracts being offered on the Nokia site as 'unlimited internet' are advertised with a 500mb limit when purchased with other phones. Have Nokia and Vodafone struck a deal for 'unlimited internet' specifically for the N900 or is it in fact just 500mb?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by on the edge of insanity View Post
I note from their website that the same contracts being offered on the Nokia site as 'unlimited internet' are advertised with a 500mb limit when purchased with other phones. Have Nokia and Vodafone struck a deal for 'unlimited internet' specifically for the N900 or is it in fact just 500mb?
It's just 500MB. In the UK, the Advertising Standards Authority has confirmed that it is legal to advertise unlimited service, yet to put an "acceptable use limit" in the fine print.

Legal, maybe, but morally repugnant.

Regards,
Roger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
I suspected as much. Thank you for the confirmation though Eiffel. With full web pages loading in the browser, 500mb isn't going to last very long at all.

I'm using giffgaff at the moment, which uses the o2 network. Internet access is free for the 6 months and the call charges are pretty cheap. As with O2 there is an unspecified usage limit - but I suspect it is about 1GB.

Pay as you go only though, so if you make a lot of phone calls / texts it might not be the best option.

Also, I'm not fully convinced by the online only customer support. Community support is fine (Linux etc work well for me for example), but I'm not sure if it is the best model for a network.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Kingston-Upon-Hul, UK / Le Mans, FR
And you have just put the SIM card and it was working right after that ?

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Legal, maybe, but morally repugnant.
Here's a link:

Vodafone 500MB usage allowance passes ASA unlimited test:
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudicati..._ADJ_45008.htm

Tags
£306!!